PDA

View Full Version : 300ex Frame Gussetting?

FMFTRX250r
11-29-2005, 09:20 PM
hey guys where are you guy gussetting the 300ex frames at...im building a 300 for my wife and want to go ahead and gussett the frame before its off to powdercoating....

kd5sfq
11-30-2005, 06:57 AM
It's a tough frame as is... Unless she plans on racing MX or CC on it, I would not worry about it unless there are cracks in the frame that need to be repaired. Any place it cracks needs a gusset for sure.

If she is racing, I would gusset the uprights that the swingarm attaches to. That's the only place that failed on my son's 300ex after two years of MX.

We think this happened because his Elka shock became too soft over time and then he cased a double. The frame cracked. The top of his rear shock cracked. The swingarm was almost broken into.

Word to the wise... Shocks need to be serviced every 3-6 months of racing to ensure top performance. It's much cheaper than buying a new frame, swingarm and have a shock rebuilt.

FMFTRX250r
12-01-2005, 06:50 PM
well basically im setting it up so if i wanted to take it to a national i know it would hold up no questions asked...so any more places to gussett other than swing arm pivot???

reconmaster
12-01-2005, 07:39 PM
gusset up front too

exman
12-01-2005, 07:41 PM
frame gussetting

reconmaster
12-01-2005, 08:12 PM
j/w what about at the top point of the subframe i know battery is an issue but for thought cause i'm gusseting my subframe this winter

exman
12-01-2005, 08:50 PM
those are the most common break areas from many racers,,,alot of them are due beating the stock shocks give a frame befroe its turned into a racer...only reason to do the back traingle is if some rear ends you hard enough to break it..but really wouldn't do it though....

kd5sfq
12-02-2005, 12:30 PM
Thanks for posting the gusset points exman. That's good info.

I suspect that poor suspension does contribute to metal fatigue and stress failure.

Since we are tearing frames down between seasons to powercoat, I'm thinking in won't hurt to gusset those points while we are at it.

You don't by chance have the gusset points for 250r and 400ex frames do you?

bwamos
12-02-2005, 01:22 PM
Do a search in the 250r forum for the gusseting.. I know theres a great article for gusseting for the various years there. Fairly recent post too.