PDA

View Full Version : Honda 400 EX HRC Kit

B@ckBoneBelgium
06-25-2002, 01:17 PM
Hello ,

Does somebody out there a HRC kit from an XR400 installed on his 400EX ? What is exactly included in the kit and what did you think about the performance ?

tnx for helping me out

Kenny

ccole400EX
06-25-2002, 01:31 PM
I have the HRC cam in my 400ex with a JE 10-8-1 piston with a bigger bore (416) and i am very happy with the HRC cam you do lose some of the power of the bottom but not to much. You cam by a copy from XR'S ONLY wich is the same grind and it's much cheaper( HRC=$279 XR'S ONLY copy= $179) and they are both drop in cams. I just installed a Edelbrock carb last weekend seems to really brings out even more power. Thanks for your time.

B@ckBoneBelgium
06-25-2002, 02:28 PM
Well if I compare in belgium the cost for getting the complete kit it is peanuts compared to the parts you choose seperatly . I can buy the HRC Engine Hopup kit for 700 $ from my honda dealer and I know for sure the following parts are inside :

ccole400EX
06-25-2002, 02:58 PM
What is the gear for? Would it work in the 400ex? If you buy this kit there is a Edelbrock carb on Ebay for sale it's for the XR400 but it may work on the 400ex is was at $179. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

B@ckBoneBelgium
06-25-2002, 03:10 PM
Well everything that comes with the XR400 HRC Hop up kit , is fully compatible with the trx400ex . This was garanteed by the honda importer and some guys I know from the track ...

I do not think that the kit is expensive because you get the following anyway if you loke at the picture :

- new clutch basket
- Stiffer clutch springs
- 11.0:1 Piston
- HRC XR400 CAM
- the little gearing stuff (i don't now what this is about )
- a bunch of needles and main & pilot jets

Now the question for me is , what is extra with it ? Are the gaskets included ? Are the wrist pin and piston rings included ?

dariusld
06-25-2002, 06:17 PM
ccole400EX on the HRC copy cam, do you have to send in your cam or is there a core charge?

400exRacerX
06-25-2002, 07:32 PM
Thats not a gear! Its a clutch basket.

dariusld
06-25-2002, 07:53 PM
I think he is talking about the gear above the cam.

Leo
06-25-2002, 09:18 PM
don't quote me on this, but I think the point of the new clutch basket and gear is to change the primary drive ratio of the bike...

$700 US for the whole kit? That's pretty cheap compared to what it runs in the states..

I would imagine the wrist pins + rings are included, but don't know for sure...

I used to have a page bookmarked (from Honda's site I believe) that talked about XR400 kit, but I can't find it at the moment.. Try poking around Hondas site as I know it's there somewhere..

Leo

ccole400EX
06-25-2002, 09:30 PM
I bought the HRC cam from Honda and i didn't have to pay a core charge or give them my stock 400ex cam. I don't know about the copy cam i couldn't find where it says on there sight.

ccole400EX
06-25-2002, 09:44 PM
You can go to Http://www.servicehonda.com/HONDALINE/XR400r_power_up_kit.htm to get more info on th HRC kit.

dariusld
06-26-2002, 12:54 AM
From the link above, its $937.00 at Service Honda.

B@ckBoneBelgium
06-26-2002, 01:25 AM
Well , I spoke with honda belgium today and they faxed me the part list :

I get for 700 $ :

- the Set-up manual
- Gasket R.cover
- Gasket cylinder
- Gasket cylinder head
- gasket Head Cover
- Piston 11.0:1
- Camshaft Assy
- Needle Set
- Carburator setting kit
- Outer Clutch basket
- Stiffer Clutch springs
- Gear , Primary Drive
- Special spark plug

Isn't that a sweet deal ??

dhines
06-26-2002, 06:12 AM
I'd love to see someone drop this kit in their 400EX and compare it to other performance setups.

Dennis

MIKE400EX
06-26-2002, 06:48 AM
Could be wrong here, but I remember reading that the primary gears are not interchangeable. I believe the EX gears are much heavier due to the higher loads imposed on the motor from the ATV. If so, they might actually fit but longevity would be compromised. Might want to contact someone at XR's Only.

B@ckBoneBelgium
06-26-2002, 02:47 PM
Well , I asked guy's on the track today and they changed it and never had any probs . So what I did was order my HRC kit Today . I can Collect it Friday . I will post pics of the work and make a little review on it ...Maybe LEO could post it on his site here ???:devil

I can't wait until I have it ....:blah

B@ckBoneBelgium
06-26-2002, 03:37 PM
What a nice little ATV ...I can't wait to take it to the next race

B@ckBoneBelgium
07-02-2002, 03:26 PM
I told Ya to get you posted :

Well i went to collect my hrc kit today. This was in the box for 700$:

B@ckBoneBelgium
07-02-2002, 03:27 PM
a closer view :-)

B@ckBoneBelgium
07-02-2002, 03:28 PM
and another close-up :-)

Ketch
07-03-2002, 12:32 AM
Hello B@ckbonebelgium, That kit looks good can you tell me the part number for the needle, i well try to get one for mine. Also were do they recommend for setting the clip.
Thank you Jimmy:)

B@ckBoneBelgium
07-03-2002, 09:45 AM
Quote :

Hello B@ckbonebelgium, That kit looks good can you tell me the part number for the needle, i well try to get one for mine. Also were do they recommend for setting the clip.
Thank you Jimmy

/end

Jimmy , the partnumber is 16012-NKK-000 and they suggest you put it on the third notch from the bottom ...

hope's this helps ... Tearing my motor down tonight ....:devil :blah

B@ckBoneBelgium
07-15-2002, 04:07 PM
A little review on the installation of the HRC kit that is actually mentiond to be for an XR400R . If you buy the kit , it isnt as pricy as you think . You got a lot included with it ( look up ) .

The installation of the 11:1 piston was just great and was hassle free . Putting the gasket at the bottom and used the original piston rings ( they weren't bad and not out of range ) . So I did not hone the cylinderwall , because of using the piston ring of the original 9.3:1 piston.

- After that I decided to put the head gasket and the head back together . The gasket is from the XR400 and works just great . No problems detected .

- Putting the HRC Cam in , What is mentioned as a drop in , so no hard faced rockers . The cam is the same material as the original cam ..Saving $$$$

- Putting the top together , hassle free also ...

_ Then it camed , changing the primary drive gear and putting the stonger clutch basket in the motor ... I broke the original , **** that hurts ....A 250$ basket destroyed ...But as the HRC basket was inside the kit , I didn't care . Then I saw the difference , there was a gear behind the clutch basket for the kick start . I was thinking , hehehe if I ever want a kick start on my ex400 it is foreseen :devil :devil

- Changing the clutch spring that were delivered with the HRC kit , And do THEY SUCK :mad: :mad: :mad: . After 2 Rides it did not feel good about shifting ...So i said to myself ...Wath the f*ck.
Ordered some hinson clutch spring and BOY did THEY MADE A DIFFERENCE :blah :blah .Did honda made a mistake in here ?:grr

- After that changing the stock needle by the HRC one in the carb . Wath a bull**** , When I tried to start it , it started fine , but at 2500 - 3500 it didn't want to go and bogged ... HMMM ...
changed the needle back to the original and everything was fine ...Apparantly the needle is longer and is mentioned to be for another carb ..

After breaking it in , I gived it some juce ..AND BOY WHAT A BIGGGGGGGGGGGG DIFFERENCE !!!:blah :blah
I suggest anybody a kit like that , or even drop in a high compression piston and cam , it is deffinetly woth the money !!!

tnx for your time ...

Ketch
07-15-2002, 11:54 PM
B@ckBoneBelgium I figured the needle would be the ticket. I'm on my last groove on my stock needle. And if you change any thing you have no way to make it richer. So I think I'm going to try to find a richer needle just to have room to grow. What noch are you on with the stock needle?
Jimmy

Castor-426ex
07-15-2002, 11:59 PM
that looks to be a pretty awesome kit...
and with that xr400 head gasket you are actually increasing the compression even more...not much but a little...its thinner than the stock 400ex gasket I believe...somebody correct me if Im wrong..

Good luck have fun...wear a helmet