PDA

View Full Version : clutch questions

r450rr
11-29-2005, 06:27 PM
ok i need some serious help and any input would be greatly appreciated...
ok here is my problem. my clutches are slipping i have an 04 model. this is the first time they have decided to cause me prblems.i took it to the dealer, they couldnt cover it on my warrenty some **** about it just wears out, and im fine with that not mad, but i need to know what are some good clutch kits out there, what are good prices and all of that, i need the heavy duty springs right? steel plates right? just simple questions like these that i need answered, i know that the basket is fine just a little wear on the pads, so i am just going to go ahead and replace them with after market, is tusk or EBC good kits. let me know thanks love this site.

R3Concepts
11-29-2005, 06:48 PM
Use OEM clutches...Take the judder spring and the seat out and the very back fiber, only one that is different inside diameter, and just replace it with a regular fiber...So you would end up with 8 fibers instead of 7 and the same amount of plates, at 7.

r450rr
11-29-2005, 09:03 PM
so i dont have to replace the clutches, explain to me a lil more about hot to fix it im not very literate with clutches, but i know someone who is, just explain in more detail what ur talking about,, but what aftermarkets would you buy?

mikes450r
11-29-2005, 09:12 PM
do what r3 said but just buy new oem clutches. but take the 2 parts out he said and replace it with a fiber..

ThumPIN_450R
11-30-2005, 12:35 AM
I go through clutches pretty quickly but for me the OEM plates last longest. If I don't get those I go with the TUSK plates just becuase of how cheap they are and they seem to last just as long as my Barnett plates did.

quadjeff
11-30-2005, 08:44 AM
Use OEM plates and Hinson Basket... I replace mine every 3 months... The aftermarket kits suck....

duke416ex
11-30-2005, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by quadjeff
Use OEM plates and Hinson Basket... I replace mine every 3 months... The aftermarket kits suck....

Do you wear a clutch out every three months or you just replace them that often? I just don't understand going through a clutch that fast.

11-30-2005, 09:41 AM
I ran a TUSK clutch kit with EBC springs off rocky mountain atv on my 400ex and they lasted a long time, never did wear out on me before I sold it. I reccommend them for the price.

WhiteZee
11-30-2005, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by duke416ex
Do you wear a clutch out every three months or you just replace them that often? I just don't understand going through a clutch that fast. i was wondering the same thing.

11-30-2005, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by WhiteZee
i was wondering the same thing.

yeah, there's no way the clutches should need replaced that often. either that guy is paranoid, or he needs to change up the gearing. or, he's racing 7 days a week.

KatHouseMouse
11-30-2005, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by force
yeah, there's no way the clutches should need replaced that often. either that guy is paranoid, or he needs to change up the gearing. or, he's racing 7 days a week.

Yeah, There is a way! There are quit of few m/x riders I know that replace clutches after every race and sometimes inbetween motos.

duke416ex
11-30-2005, 12:46 PM
I wish I could get those guys to let me hav etheir old clutches then, unless they just slip them a lot and burn the fibers up I am sure I could get some good use out of it. When I sold my 99 400ex a few months ago it had the original clutch in it with hundreds of hours on it and looked plactically new.

WhiteZee
11-30-2005, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by KatHouseMouse
Yeah, There is a way! There are quit of few m/x riders I know that replace clutches after every race and sometimes inbetween motos.
im sure those are the guys that hold the throttle wfo 99% of the time and use the clutch to controll everything.

ThumPIN_450R
11-30-2005, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by quadjeff

have you been replacing them even all this last year Jeff? If so I want you're old plates. ;)

r450rr
11-30-2005, 07:22 PM
im sorry i just dont understand what i need to do, buy oem clutches and do what with the judder? i need major elaboration on this, put a fiber in its place. ? do i need to buy a extra fiber, sorry for my lack of. is ebc good clutchs, i got a guy who is going to put this stuff on here for me, he would understand i guess, just what are the advantages to buying the oem clutches and how much are they? also what is the advantage of taking the judder out and replacing with a fiber?:huh sorry

R3Concepts
11-30-2005, 07:38 PM
The judder gives the stock clutch a slippage feel..Taking it out reduces that but inturn makes "feathering" a little more touchy...

Take out the whole clutch pack..

remove the very back plate(against the basket)

You will notice that the fiber in back is different from the other 7, and there are 2 metal rings, one concave..throw that fiber and the 2 rings away..

Buy 8 regular fiber plates and 7 friction plates..

Install the regular plate in place of the old, different plate and 2 metal rings, install the rest exactly as taken out.

12-01-2005, 09:51 AM
and what is the advantage to doing this?

chad502ex
12-01-2005, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by force
and what is the advantage to doing this?

it allows you to install another fiber for more friction.

r450rr
12-01-2005, 03:46 PM
wich is more expensive ? the oem or the aftermarket like EBC or TUSK. could i buy the after market kit and do this.?

R3Concepts
12-01-2005, 03:49 PM
It will cost 125 to replace it completely as stated above if bought from SH.

TRX450R1
12-01-2005, 05:13 PM
I think our rider only uses the clutch once/race.....went the whole season without anything more than adjustment, looked good but replaced for this season anyhow.