PDA

View Full Version : Whats the problem here? AXLE help!!

03CAN
11-29-2005, 05:40 PM
Ok the quad was like this when I got it.... My axle is not loose because of it but it cant be right?

The 2 large nuts on the right side of the break assembly will not go all the way tight to the break assembly.

THEN on the outside, far right nut, spins freely? It will not loosen or tignten? The threds are also moving when you grab either nut?

It is a lonestar +4 axle. The break rotor has about a 1/4 inch of play in it also, but everything else seems tight?

Help would be great!

pic:

http://img473.imageshack.us/img473/8715/10012688bl.jpg

Honda TRX250ex
11-29-2005, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by 03CAN
Ok the quad was like this when I got it.... My axle is not loose because of it but it cant be right?

The 2 large nuts on the right side of the break assembly will not go all the way tight to the break assembly.

THEN on the outside, far right nut, spins freely? It will not loosen or tignten? The threds are also moving when you grab either nut?

It is a lonestar +4 axle. The break rotor has about a 1/4 inch of play in it also, but everything else seems tight?

Help would be great!

pic:

http://img473.imageshack.us/img473/8715/10012688bl.jpg
ok that nut is called a lock nut and all the rest is that a question is or is that whats wrong im confused:huh

03CAN
11-29-2005, 07:40 PM
Its a question. I am trying to figure out why it wont tighten down...

Honda TRX250ex
11-29-2005, 07:46 PM
is it striped
i think your sppsoe to turn one one way and the other on the other way to get them lock "lock nut" get it
if you pick up a clymar book it shows you
i also get mixed up with those
i dont see why honda didnt change it anyway its over complatced

03CAN
11-29-2005, 07:54 PM
so the whole axle is garbage? Its a lonestar that appears to be farily new?

slamdak8782
11-29-2005, 08:08 PM
if your talking bout the locknut it may be stripped basically it is reverse thread to tighten it. You do that then lock the nut down on to it. It is not complicated at all
What is your question as far as the brake if it is moving front to rear that is not good it means the splines are stripped. basically if it moves a little that is not supposed to happen. however it could last a long time like that. The only option is to weld the brae disc holder on or try and replace it with a new one maybe a steel one since it appears yours is aluminum. This might restore it to its tight original status. maybe it is wore out. You may have luck putting new parts on or jst leaving it till it really breaks. Parts to look at and or replace the lock nut and the brake disc holder. Good luck

03CAN
11-30-2005, 04:28 AM
Yea I would like to just replace parts because it lasted that way for 7 days of non stop ridding in some pretty harsh trails and track.

I just dont want to be mid flight one day and my rear end fall apart!

Honda TRX250ex
11-30-2005, 04:39 AM
Yea I would like to just replace parts because it lasted that way for 7 days of non stop ridding in some pretty harsh trails and track.

I just dont want to be mid flight one day and my rear end fall apart!
i had my axel fall apart in the woods it sucked

400exMO
11-30-2005, 11:13 AM
pull it all off and examine it. You'll be able to tell if it's stripped. The threads should move when you tighten it. You tighten the two nuts together. There is a snap ring under the threads that keeps the threads from coming all the way off. There should also be one on the brake holder. I agree, buy a clymer and pull it apart and examine parts before you dump a ton of money if it's all fine, just not put on right.

03CAN
11-30-2005, 08:20 PM
Yea good idea, I have to get a manual for this thing. Is it going to be taken off the same way a stock one would?

bwamos
12-01-2005, 08:04 AM
Yea, it should intall/uninstall the same way as a stocker (assuming its a honds, looks like it).

speedfreaksguy
12-01-2005, 10:28 AM

They don't tighten against the brake, they tighten against the snap ring on the axle. Is it possible that you have the locknuts loose?? Try turning the outermost nut (the larger of the two) upward until its tight and then turn the smaller nut the same direction until its tight against the other nut.

F-16Guy
12-01-2005, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by speedfreaksguy
They don't tighten against the brake, they tighten against the snap ring on the axle. Is it possible that you have the locknuts loose?? Try turning the outermost nut (the larger of the two) upward until its tight and then turn the smaller nut the same direction until its tight against the other nut.
Correct. You need to turn the lock nut and the axle nut CCW, in toward the brake hub until you can access the groove in the axle. Then you need to slide the large circlip from your stock axle into that groove, and then turn the axle nut clockwise and tighten it against the circlip. When tightening, the nut will acually move away from the brake hub, but that will force the threaded sleeve into the brake hub and secure the axle. Make sure you use locktite on the axle nut before you do the final assembly, and then tighten the lock nut up against the axle nut, and you're done.

03CAN
12-01-2005, 07:51 PM
That is excatly what I did and its fixed! Thank you all for the help!

ontario400ex
01-19-2007, 01:35 PM
I did this and it keeps loosening, though.

Pissed at it. Ready to sell.
-Scotty

ontario400ex
01-19-2007, 01:35 PM

-Scotty

Sjorge450R
01-19-2007, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by ontario400ex

-Scotty

ha....all locknuts are like that.take some duct tape and just go around it onceor twice to keep it from loosening. Are you tightening them against the snap ring?

underpowered
01-20-2007, 07:59 AM
once you get them tight, wrap them in electrical tape. duct tape is OK, but the electricla tape will stretch and hold tighet, duct tape only last a few rides. or buy an actuall lock nut from a company such as RAD. they use a bolt to tighten the nut on the axle.

ontario400ex
01-20-2007, 09:35 AM
Yep. I'm tightening the 'collar' out against the snap ring, and the lock nut in towards the rotor. Maybe I'll pull the lock nut off and drill/tap it for a setscrew.
-Scotty

Sjorge450R
01-20-2007, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by ontario400ex
Yep. I'm tightening the 'collar' out against the snap ring, and the lock nut in towards the rotor. Maybe I'll pull the lock nut off and drill/tap it for a setscrew.
-Scotty

no no no.... back them both into each other on the snap ring side. The one locks the other in place. MOve them both to the right side of the axle. The way the axel nut works is that it just makes pressure on that snap ring and it presses that against the brake rotor.

ontario400ex
01-20-2007, 10:19 AM
Doh.!

the freak
02-14-2007, 04:06 PM
at this point your barriing might be done. i just did that to mine and now i have meltted barriings on my axel and i had to get a new rear.

Honda#4
02-14-2007, 06:04 PM
looks to me that right next to the brake hub is cracked.