PDA

View Full Version : Suspension help

400exrules
11-29-2005, 04:07 PM
What is a good suspension setup for xc harescrambles on a 400ex? I dont want to get a wider axle or a-arms because these trails are run by bikes and atv's and they are extremely tight so i cant go any wider then stock. Everyone says suspension makes you so much faster, so what kind do you guys recommend...and would a steering stabalizer help any?

thx

XCAdam89
11-29-2005, 04:27 PM
A stabalizer will help keep the bars from jerking out of your hands which is a plus, especially when your riding over rocks and ruts quickly.

As far as shocks are concerned, IMO you can't go wrong with a good pair of elkas. Get a pair with ressies though, if you get the non-res. kind and you want to add them later, it will cost more than just paying upfront in the first place.

Also, don't try to jerry rig parts on from other quads, do it right, or leave it stock IMO.

400exrules
11-29-2005, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by XCAdam89
A stabalizer will help keep the bars from jerking out of your hands which is a plus, especially when your riding over rocks and ruts quickly.

As far as shocks are concerned, IMO you can't go wrong with a good pair of elkas. Get a pair with ressies though, if you get the non-res. kind and you want to add them later, it will cost more than just paying upfront in the first place.

Also, don't try to jerry rig parts on from other quads, do it right, or leave it stock IMO.

ya i dont plan on using 450r shocks or any other stock atv shocks.

but yah, i dont ride on many rocks, but hittin those small logs and obstacles really starts to make my wrists ache quickly

i cant really see myself spending over $1,000 on elkas though...:ermm:

400exMO
11-29-2005, 05:53 PM
find some used ones.

trx400exxracer
11-29-2005, 08:27 PM
Either find used elkas or get some wrks triple rate with remote rezzies about $550 and free shipping from precision powersports and get your rear shock and send it off to Santo Derisi and get it revalved and resprung

JOEX
11-29-2005, 08:53 PM
I belive Elka econos (front) are around $500-600, then get the stock rear rebulit and you'll be good to go;) C&D Racing will be able to help you out with that set up.

400exrider707
11-29-2005, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
I belive Elka econos (front) are around $500-600, then get the stock rear rebulit and you'll be good to go;) C&D Racing will be able to help you out with that set up.

Elka rec series are $465 on ebay with free shipping, then do the GT Thunder conversion on rear. The revalve, and linkage combo from GT is $250. Great setup.

400exrules
11-29-2005, 09:09 PM
badazz!

so i wont have to get a new rear shock? an aftermarket rear shock must not be much of an improvement.

how do the elka econos, elka rec series, and works compare?
i assume they all have rezzies?

JOEX
11-29-2005, 09:21 PM
The Elka Rec's (econos) don't have res. but their other models do. The Works can bought with or with res. also. I haven't used either brand but from what i've read Works are much better than stock and Elka are much better than Works.

I have also read the the stock rear shock can be rebuilt to compare close to an aftermarket shock but for much less $. It wont be the same but close.

trx400exxracer
11-30-2005, 05:10 AM
I have a stock rebuild rear shock it is a dual rate set up for xc racing

I would rather have works shocks with rezzies than have elka's without them

try to find some nice elka's with rezzies on ebay for a good price

400exrules
11-30-2005, 02:13 PM
how much a difference do rezzies make? is it alot smoother ride?

and what are better, remote or piggy back?

400EX QUADER
11-30-2005, 02:21 PM
it's all about preference. I personally like piggyback just because of the looks. both are good. rezzies just make it so the shocks dont get as hot and dont fade after been riding for awhile. basicly sayin if you do mx then you need em. It just depends on how hard you ride. Hope I helped!

400exrules
11-30-2005, 04:42 PM
well when im on the trails i ride pretty hard and the suspension gets a good workout, so i guess im gonna have to get rezzy's