PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Ridge Frame Mod

Chino886
11-29-2005, 02:01 PM
Alright, I understand the whole principle behind the frame mod, but is anyone running this? Is it worth the money?

It is cheaper to by a aftermarket linkage than to get this done.....especially after shipping the frame/subframe to KY, does not even include the labor to strip the quad down to the frame.....

yamablaster24
11-29-2005, 03:51 PM
no idea what your talking about,

explain more

Rico
11-30-2005, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by Chino886
Alright, I understand the whole principle behind the frame mod, but is anyone running this? Is it worth the money?

It is cheaper to by a aftermarket linkage than to get this done.....especially after shipping the frame/subframe to KY, does not even include the labor to strip the quad down to the frame.....

So were did you find out about this mod????? :o ;)

IT's more of a MX setup than XC, go with a Elka full setup or GT Thunder. Most of the kids around this site probably have no idea who Rocky Ridge is... LOL

11-30-2005, 05:58 AM
never heard of the frame mod...enlighten us with a website please

underpowered
11-30-2005, 06:19 AM
yes, what exactly is this frame mod, how hard is it to do, and what does it do for the bike?

Rico
11-30-2005, 07:29 AM
The upper rear shock mount is relocated so that you can go linkless in the rear with a longer Axis shock.

He has no website you can only call.

Chino886
11-30-2005, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Rico
The upper rear shock mount is relocated so that you can go linkless in the rear with a longer Axis shock.

He has no website you can only call.

Very true, no website....

I called yesterday after reading one of Rico's posts, Rocky Ridge is very helpful on the phone......

Hey Rico, would you recommend this or a Laz link?

Rico
11-30-2005, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Chino886
Very true, no website....

I called yesterday after reading one of Rico's posts, Rocky Ridge is very helpful on the phone......

Hey Rico, would you recommend this or a Laz link?

Laz's link and rebuild will be cheaper and will work well. I've never rode the rocky ridge setup, even though a buddy of mine had it done. I have to support my buddy Laz but can't really say which would be better.

Chino886
11-30-2005, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Laz's link and rebuild will be cheaper and will work well. I've never rode the rocky ridge setup, even though a buddy of mine had it done. I have to support my buddy Laz but can't really say which would be better.

I think that is the route that I am going to take....ever since the weather dropped to subfreezing temps, the damn $$$$ tree in the backyard stopped blooming $100 bills......:D

duke416ex
11-30-2005, 01:09 PM
I live within 30 mintues of Rocky Ridge Racing and have seen several of his bikes. He is mostly into mx bikes and almost all of them I have seen are hybrid bikes. I have never paid enough attention to his bikes to see if they had the mod, but I have seen some awesome bikes come from there. I can't say which I think would be better cause I have no personnal experience with either.

I can say though that I took my old 400 down to bare frame to have it painted and unless you either are just bored and have a lot of time, can pay someone else to do it, or are have serious mods done, I would probably never strip a quad to bare frame again. If you do decide to strip it though I would have it gusseted and everything while it is apart.

Chino886
11-30-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by duke416ex
I live within 30 mintues of Rocky Ridge Racing and have seen several of his bikes. He is mostly into mx bikes and almost all of them I have seen are hybrid bikes. I have never paid enough attention to his bikes to see if they had the mod, but I have seen some awesome bikes come from there. I can't say which I think would be better cause I have no personnal experience with either.

I can say though that I took my old 400 down to bare frame to have it painted and unless you either are just bored and have a lot of time, can pay someone else to do it, or are have serious mods done, I would probably never strip a quad to bare frame again. If you do decide to strip it though I would have it gusseted and everything while it is apart.

Wow Duke, thanks for volunteering to be our spy...:devil:

duke416ex
11-30-2005, 01:41 PM
No prob, I kinda live in the middle of a lot of really good racers in xc and mx. I just wish some of it would rub off on me and make me a little faster.

Chino886
11-30-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by duke416ex
No prob, I kinda live in the middle of a lot of really good racers in xc and mx. I just wish some of it would rub off on me and make me a little faster.

supposedly it gives you 1.5" of additional shock travel, has to do where the top shock mount is.....

let me know if you see one running around...

act like the papparazzi...:devil: