PDA

View Full Version : electrical prolem

01EX
11-29-2005, 12:46 PM
ok i bought an 01 400ex stock powerwise except for a WB R4 slipon and a K&N, so i do an oil change and valve adjustment and rejetted the carb for the pipe and k&N put it all bak together and i get no spark, WTF? i check and recheck all wiring and its all bak together the way it was. SO bow im pissed i try fiddling with the on off switch on the bars jump them and i get a lil spark then try again and get none? try messin with the clutch safety switch get a lil spark then none, im really buggin out over here anybody have any suggestions or problems like mine? HELLLPPPP!!

alexmx22
11-29-2005, 05:15 PM
check your coil?

01EX
11-30-2005, 12:54 AM
yep, all wires are fine goin to the coil and it worked fine before i took anything off, the only wires i messed with was the plugs to take the front plastics off, such as the ignition switch and the headlights. Do coils just go if not being used ive never had one go bad:confused: Suks cuz i take it apart to fix one thing and now its another before i even get to try out the new jetting

RRP
11-30-2005, 03:51 AM
coils usually do just go bad.does your headlight still come on when you turn the key on?Double check to make sure you didn't confuse the 2 wiring harnesses.Also check the fuse.

01EX
11-30-2005, 11:02 AM
yep, the headlights work cranks fine just no spark i did take my CDI box off and it had two letter etched into it it said W.B.would that mean it was modified by White Brothers???? all i did was take it out of the rubber holder and slide it bak in?

01EX
11-30-2005, 11:04 AM
the only fuse i can find is bak by the battery and its ok?

01EX
11-30-2005, 11:34 AM
im gonna try a coil off of my suzuki TL1000 thecoils look the same im gonna try it see what happens

duke416ex
11-30-2005, 12:57 PM
I wouldn't change that coil out yet, I would get someone else with a 400 and try their cdi. I had a buddy who got a supposedly aftermarket cdi with w.b. on it and it wouldn't run with that cdi on it. Just try a stock box and see what that does.

bwamos
11-30-2005, 01:29 PM
Check your battery amperage. You battery may have good voltage.. but can't give you enough amperage to turn over the motor and spark. That's would explain the initial spark, then none.

Have you tried bump/pull starting it?

wilkin250r
11-30-2005, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
Have you tried bump/pull starting it?

You could also jump start it with a car battery. They're both 12V systems, so it's safe.

Rip_Tear
11-30-2005, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
You could also jump start it with a car battery. They're both 12V systems, so it's safe.

Just something you might want to know, sometimes boosting an ATV doesn't work. My 300 won't e-start, battery is screwed, but the only way it will start is kicking it over in gear, all the electrial is "fine" (not really ovbiously) but no one can track the problem and I've almost replaced everything that it could have been.

So my main point is, try bump starting it too :D

01EX
12-01-2005, 02:40 AM
ok the battery was on the charger while it was apart and had a full charge so i dont think its the battery. Also when i took the cdi box off today i shook it for sh@# and giggles and somethin was rattling around inside:huh , and i dont know anybody with a 400ex so i might hafta go the ebay route. And i will try bumpstarting it too, cuz hey ya never know, thanx guys for the help i'll keep yaposted.

bwamos
12-01-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by 01EX
ok the battery was on the charger while it was apart and had a full charge so i dont think its the battery. Also when i took the cdi box off today i shook it for sh@# and giggles and somethin was rattling around inside:huh , and i dont know anybody with a 400ex so i might hafta go the ebay route. And i will try bumpstarting it too, cuz hey ya never know, thanx guys for the help i'll keep yaposted.

If the battery is toast, it doesn't matter if it has a full charge or not. It will say 13.4 volts.. but will not have enough amperage to kick over the starter & give spark at the same time.

Turn your lights on. Push the starter. Do the lights dim? That's a good sign that you've lost your cold cranking amperage.

--

Aye, the car battery jump would be a good test too.

400ex's are known to have poor grounding problems where the frame and subframe connect also.

It could be many things. You'r kill switch could be worn out too and still grounding the coil. Check to make sure its not shorting w/ a multimeter.

01EX
12-01-2005, 03:56 PM
na the lights dont dim when i try to start and the battery is new with more CCA's than the stocker, its one for a TLR streetbike. and what does the WB etched into the ignition box mean u think? It looks like somebody used a solderin gun to write it in the plastic case?

wilkin250r
12-01-2005, 04:16 PM
HA. That WB might be your problem. It stands for "White Brothers", and they have been known to have starting problems with their CDI.

The WB high-rev CDI isn't actually made by WB. It's a CDI from a dirtbike (don't know which one). It has a built-in feature that doesn't spark unless the motor turns at a certain RPM. You might not be hitting that RPM.

A new stock cdi should fix the problem. Besides, unless you're running high compression or a high-rev cam, a high-rev CDI doesn't do anything for you. On the stock engine, power drops off by the time the stock rev limit kicks in, why would you need to rev even higher?

01EX
12-01-2005, 11:05 PM
ok, i will buy a stocker on EGAY and see if that works cuz thas the only thing electrical i messed with when i had the plastics off and the thing ran fine before i touched it(which could be problem in and of itself) any body got a CDI box layin around that works that i can buy?