PDA

View Full Version : K&N power kit...

Tommy 17
09-25-2001, 06:04 PM
is the K&N kit worth buying it says it gives u 15% but i dunno how good is it. will someone plz tell me if they like what it did to there quad or not. thanks

knighttime
09-25-2001, 06:52 PM
I think the K&N kit would work awesome with your current set-up. Make sure u modify the airbox to allow increased airflow. I would recommend installing (6) 1" dia. filtered airbox vets.

Tommy 17
09-25-2001, 07:01 PM
I don't run a air box lid at all i have a outterwears cover for it its kinda a junky set up thought its just velcro that holds it on and all it does is stop the mud from gettin in the air boxs but water and stuff still got in mine. i am thinking about somehow finding a differnt way bc this way is junk i think. i may do that thing that 3punksdad did in his review of it.

09-26-2001, 06:47 AM
A K&N powerkit is worth the money in my mind. I got one a week after I bought my bike,,easier to start,,better throttle response,,better gas effenciency,,I recommend it to anyone that has a quad. You've got to remember that K&N is actually K&N engineering,,,their engineers, which means there not dipsh*ts, they study air/gas flow to cumbustion engines, they have this down to an art, they know what there doing otherwise K&N wouldn't be the leading high performance airfilter maker in the nation,,,hell probably in the world.

09-26-2001, 10:06 AM
I would recommend it mine was backordered when I bought my bike and I ran my bike about a month without it, when I put it on I could tell a major difference in throttle response and acceleration.
I would say go with it all the way.

10-01-2001, 07:10 AM
Something to keep in mind is that the K&N is a folded fabric filter and even with an Outerwears (or other pre-filters) that very fine dust can get past the filter. They work great in the sand and such but here in Indiana the clay and limestone dust will wear your engine out well before it's time. The trick setup here is a dual stage foam filter (UNI, Durablue,etc.), Outerwears on filter and airbox. I've talked with several of the major engine builders in the ATV world and they have all gave me the same information. Unfortunately you have to figure out the jetting on your own but if you look at the jet sizes on this web site you will be pretty close to start.

knighttime
10-01-2001, 07:27 AM
If you keep your K&N well oiled and use an outerwear, you can use it no matter how dusty it is.

10-01-2001, 09:01 AM
What all is included in a K%N pwer kit? I already have the filter and pre filter, re jetted main to 165. WHat will the power kit do for me?

knighttime
10-01-2001, 09:02 AM
Well, u will not need the power kit then. You may only want to upgrade to a better needle jet, and up your slow jet as well.

10-01-2001, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by ghracing
Something to keep in mind is that the K&N is a folded fabric filter and even with an Outerwears (or other pre-filters) that very fine dust can get past the filter. They work great in the sand and such but here in Indiana the clay and limestone dust will wear your engine out well before it's time. The trick setup here is a dual stage foam filter (UNI, Durablue,etc.), Outerwears on filter and airbox. I've talked with several of the major engine builders in the ATV world and they have all gave me the same information. Unfortunately you have to figure out the jetting on your own but if you look at the jet sizes on this web site you will be pretty close to start.

Isn't a UNI filter single stage?:huh

10-01-2001, 05:46 PM
Everybody seems to run the K&N filters and then have trouble jetting their bikes? I have used them on my cars/trucks and my 1000 Huricane CBR. Now I have read that stock Honda filters flow better in many applications. I was also told this by the mechanics for Erion Racing at AMA Superbike nationals. On a recent dyno shootout comparing jet kits, the only way to get the jetting right was to chuck the K&N and use the stock filter? (CBR 600).Can anyone remember seeing/reading anything that confirms K&N's claims? I believe their products really work well in auto applications,but I'm still not sure about dirt bikes/quads. Have heard about them being so good at stopping water that they'll shut off the engine due to no air flow? Alot of the GNCC racers are running Twin Air foam filters or stock Honda's. I would hope to hear from someone who jetted their quad on a dyno so you could see any dips in the powercurve. Is it human nature to claim big power increases after buying any performance part without any evidence other than seat of the pants? I also would like to hear why no one has been even close with K&N's recommended jetting? Please help an old dog trying to learn new/better tricks.

knighttime
10-02-2001, 07:45 AM
Ah, oldfartmaster, well, to put it nicely, u have been listening to crap. There is no way a stock filter is better than a K&N. As for jetting with the K&N, just start with larger jets and see what happens.:cool: