PDA

View Full Version : Torque on Head cover for 400EX

aviator4
11-29-2005, 08:30 AM
I've got my handy-dandy clymer out and it shows that the torque on the head cover bolts for my 400EX is 17 Ft/lb's, but it I remember, someone on here said the Clymer torque spec was wrong.... does anyone have the RIGHT torque spec for this?

F-16Guy
11-29-2005, 08:36 AM
http://www.atvriders.com/articles/torque400ex.html

JOEX
11-29-2005, 08:40 AM
The manual isn't wrong. The only bolt that gets 'torqued' is the bigger one in the middle.

aviator4
11-29-2005, 08:46 AM
Okay. Well, I've got 'em torques at 7 ft/lbs but it's "wicking" oil. It's not bad, but it where it get wet attracts sand and dirt.

This is a metal gasket, is there any harm in putting a THIN film of RTV on it to finish sealing it up ya think?

I've got the same problem coming from the rubber seal where the wires from the stator come out of the side case, any suggestions there?

I'd like to have the engine as clean when I'm done riding as when I start. I know it nit-picky, but hey... I'm just that way I guess.

ride_red666
11-29-2005, 10:26 AM
if its leaking then u didnt tighten them enough. i torque mine to half what it says to cause all the way they were stripping out. try putting a thicker gasket in and put some silicone on it. that should stop the leak. try chagin the rubber seal aswell

aviator4
11-29-2005, 10:54 AM
Are you talking about the gasket on the head cover? It's steel, how do I get a thicker one?

JOEX
11-29-2005, 10:55 AM
When I did the top end the first time it leaked a bit up there too. I just replaced the gasket:ermm:

wilkin250r
11-29-2005, 11:07 AM
I would highly recommend a thin smear of silicone gasket sealer along with the gasket. It really helps to stop leaks.

400exrules
11-29-2005, 11:26 AM
when i put in my hotcam, the head gasket seemed to be in good shape so i didnt replace it, and i just torqued all the head bolts to 7ft/lbs, and the center bolt to 10 ft/lbs like it says, and i havent noticed any leaks

JOEX
11-29-2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
when i put in my hotcam, the head gasket seemed to be in good shape so i didnt replace it, and i just torqued all the head bolts to 7ft/lbs, and the center bolt to 10 ft/lbs like it says, and i havent noticed any leaks
That's the valve cover gasket, not the head gasket;)

bwamos
12-02-2005, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I would highly recommend a thin smear of silicone gasket sealer along with the gasket. It really helps to stop leaks.

What he said.
Just get some of the high temp orange from the auto parts store or Walmart.

The high temp orange is the only gasket on the head cover for the 300ex. I've never had a leak.

aviator4
12-02-2005, 02:48 PM
Yup, an ultra-thin coat of RTV took care of it. Thanks guys

timmypeaper
01-09-2006, 01:41 PM
I ran into this problem the other night putting my hotcam in. Clymer manual states a spec of 17 ft-lbs for valve cover bolts[8mm]. That is insane! I broke off a bolt near the spark plug and will now have to extract it. I was using a digital wrench and it snapped at 9.1 ft-lbs. Guess thats what I get for following the manual! I would go no more than 8.5 ft-lbs to be safe. Live and learn! :ermm:

JOEX
01-09-2006, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by timmypeaper
I ran into this problem the other night putting my hotcam in. Clymer manual states a spec of 17 ft-lbs for valve cover bolts[8mm]. That is insane! I broke off a bolt near the spark plug and will now have to extract it. I was using a digital wrench and it snapped at 9.1 ft-lbs. Guess thats what I get for following the manual! I would go no more than 8.5 ft-lbs to be safe. Live and learn! :ermm:
Look at the manual again, it says 8mm 'bolt' not 'bolts'. There is only one, the center one.

8mm refers to the shaft size not the head size.

Like you said, 'live and leard':)