PDA

View Full Version : Getting into racing quads?

bullet3z
11-28-2005, 10:57 PM
Ok, I am looking to get back into quads after a few years without one. My last quad was a 300ex and that thing was bullet proof. I am looking into getting a used older 2000, 01, 02 or 03 quad for GNCC type racing. I currently have a 04 WR250F dirtbike and I just want something that wont break the bank.

So, if I was to pick up a 400ex, what would I need "must have to race it" GNCC style? I will more than likely pick up a stock quad so it will need a few things to race and I would like to try this on a budget to see if it can be done.

If the 400ex is not the way to go then what would be a good choice?

Jimford
11-29-2005, 04:44 AM
Its tough to say. I have a 99 400ex that has never been to the shop once. But I know that my friends yfz450 kills it. I dont know what kind of classes they have in gncc racing. If they have a class that you can race against other 400's that would be good. It depends on the rider but if there are long straight sections of the race then thats where you will lose ground. Maybe some people will disagree with me but the suzuki or kawasaki 400 might be a better choice. You can really upgraid the heck out of them and be competitive. But I still see a lot of ex's racing so it your choice. I love my honda though and wont buy another brand ever! Just save up and get the 450r. They are reliable also. Look at the latest baja.

powerbrad5000
11-29-2005, 05:44 AM
If you go with the 400ex you will want a steering stabilizer for sure. I race in the woods a lot and recently put one on. It makes a world of difference. You will want to upgrade the shocks, the stock ones are not that great and if you buy a used machine you dont know how much abuse they have already recieved. As far as power the 400ex is just fine gncc style racing you wont win drag races with 450s but in the woods you should be able to keep up. Good luck.

bullet3z
11-29-2005, 01:07 PM
I was also looking into the Z400 but I am afraid of the frame issue that those quads have. As for the racing I will be in a vet class so I am not to concerned about setting the world on fire. To start out racing I just want a machine that I know will finish the race and not cost me a ton of money. Next year or a few years down the road a 450 might be a option. GNCC or WORCS type racing is the only thing I am interested in doing myself.

powerbrad5000, what type of steering stabilizer are you running?

gpd005
11-29-2005, 03:08 PM
Well, you must have a kill swith (teather cord) on it and it must work. They do check that. I would suggest nerf bars and a good set of tires (6 Ply) As long as you have a helmet and some gogles and a good pair of boots you should be ready to go. A 400ex will do the job just fine if you are just looking to get started. I did the last GNCC of the year last year and i ran it on my 400ex and i finished just fine and even passed a few of the big 450's. It's more about the rider than the bike! 400ex's seem to be very reliable, that's a huge plus!

Jimford
11-29-2005, 04:17 PM
I agree with them. I jumped the gun a bit. I keep up with my friend in the woods easily with his 450 yami. I should have thought more about what I wrote. I would definitely get shocks. I need some also. The stock ones arent that good. good luck!

powerbrad5000
11-29-2005, 04:32 PM
Gibson, which looks exactly like the Denton stabilizer.

400exrider0004
11-29-2005, 04:45 PM
powerbrad5000 how do you like your Gibson stabilizer? I am trying to decide between the Denton, Pep, and Gibson. Thanks for your help.

Josh

powerbrad5000
11-29-2005, 08:51 PM
I really like the way it performs. I ride a lot of rocky creek bottoms and it really smoothed out the bars over the rocks. Also I have clipped several trees with the front wheels and you notice it but your thumb does not end up sore. What I dont like about the gibson (which is identical to the denton from what I can tell) is it mounts on the front between the bumper and the bottom of the hood. I am really afraid that if I tag someone from behind I could ram a grab bar right into it and that would be the end of it.

bullet3z
11-29-2005, 11:14 PM
Well I already have all the gear I need since I have the WR sitting in the garage. :D So thats one thing off the list. Now I need to get the quad, which will not be a problem since there are a bunch of 400ex's for sale in my area. I am used to the quad having owned the 300ex for around 8 years and that thing took a beating and kept coming back for more.

powerbrad5000, do you have a link to that stabilizer?

So to start the list,
1. kill switch
2. nurf bars, thinking the DG's will work just fine
3. Gear, covered
4. Stering Stabilizer

The quad will get a mini winter rebuild, bearings all around along with some grease. More than likely a set of tires and a set of Cycra Probends to save the hands.

450Redrider5
01-02-2006, 03:00 PM
I think you should pick up a 400ex cause you can fing loaded ones for cheap, but if you get a stock quad you will need a tether killswitch, number plates, riding clothes, and definitly a camelback i would say a 70 oz one would be perfect

TRX400-06
01-02-2006, 03:28 PM
I am just starting to race and I am running my 400ex. It holds its own but alot is the rider. Im running stock Class C. There's not too much allowed as far as modifications. Nothing that adds perfomance. http://www.gnccracing.com/rulebook/index.html thats the rule book for gncc.

bullet3z
01-03-2006, 12:08 AM
So being that I am over 30 and under 35 i would run the
Vet30+ class?

If I leave the quad stock, no matter what it is I will still be in the stock class right?

Oh and since you have a pipe how do you run the stock class? In the rules it says no pipes.

Never raced before so don't flame me. :D

TRX400-06
01-03-2006, 12:38 AM
I take my pipe off. I only use my pipe for the dunes. Its the only place the sound is permitted really. If your bike follows the stock rules you can run stock. If you never have raced in gncc or done really well you can run beginners. You can run C classes. I believe unless it says stock in the name you can run what ever you want.

bullet3z
01-03-2006, 02:42 PM
Thnaks for that. It's good to talk with members that have raced the GNCC's.

TRX400-06
01-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Now you should check into local events. I race alot more MHSC events because they are all closer. Every racing event I know goes by GNCC rules even if they are not. I just like the racing part so I do all that I can. If you just want GNCC races then they'll get you on the right track but if you would like to race more events then you get better at the gncc races.

MIGHTYMOUZE
01-03-2006, 03:52 PM
be smart! i raced the gncc series for the first time last with a bone stock 400ex. all i put on it last year was tires and skid plate and hand guards. this year shocks is a must. new skids and a bumper. and new tires and rims. rims will get bent up. but good mantience is a plus all year when you get home from a race check everything. grease everything. but all in all have fun!!!! race in the morning. find a class that fitts your riding skill. if you go racing look for a yellow 400ex in 29+ c class. stop and say hi. if you need help. i'll give all the help i give ya. i have lot's friend. in many class so if i can't they can.

hondajoe05
01-03-2006, 04:00 PM
if you can afford suspension get it... you might be able to pick up some goods shocks on here for kinda cheap and i dunno whats up with 214racing.com they have pep rears for 0$ i'd pick up on it but ya i don't have money for shipping

and ac nerfs are good or pro armor's with heal guards for 175$

handle bars are probably needed

bigger front bumper.... to block roost

bigger gas tank maybe?

TRX400-06
01-03-2006, 04:55 PM
They're correct in what you need but a gas tank wont let you run stock. I think tires are the most important. Im running Maxxis Irazr's front and back but alot of people like the razr2's. Personal opinion really. If you believe one does better then you will feel that they are better when you ride. Picking shocks be careful. They only allow you to run a few the stock class. But I am running stock suspension but I am young and take the beating a little better. If you have any questions just ask one of us or ask some one at gncc for specific questions on what is allowed.