PDA

View Full Version : 2005 400ex Battery Trouble

Shaun Martens
11-28-2005, 10:44 PM
In may 2005 i bought a brand new 400ex. I love this thing. But now its winter and its a lot colder up here. I now have trouble with my battery dying on me as i try to start it. But the lights don't change their brightness. I always have to boost it with my brothers quad. What do you guys think is wrong. Would i have to get my battery checked out or do you think its something else.

stc416rider
11-29-2005, 04:26 AM
prob buy a new battery

K_Fulk
11-29-2005, 09:30 AM
I would out a bttery tender on it. I don't know how cold it is there yet but it might be a good idea to take the battery out if your not gonna ride it for awhile. When it starts getting real cold they lose quite a bit of charge..

DAVE14
12-01-2005, 03:02 PM
I know its an 05 & the connections should be pretty clean but I would definitely try that first to ensure youre getting a full charge they yre in a much more harsh environment than under a hood my 02 has only needed a battery once I usually forgot the key was on then Ide charge it back up for 2-3 hrs. with an automotive 12 volt charger & the one night I forgot I was charging it & killed it by overcharging it , a battery tender would be nice to have &wouldnt (overcharge) your battery but a machine that runs often enough with clean terminals should turn over .

hawaiiansupaman
12-01-2005, 03:18 PM
i had the same prob. so i just got a new battery and never touched it since

NacsMXer
12-01-2005, 03:24 PM
You can also buy a new Yuasa battery through Pappy on this site that offers more cold cranking amps than the stock one. With these motors being so cold-blooded and all, it isn't surprising that you're draining the battery just trying to start it.

I would do what K_Fulk said and purchase a battery tender and leave it on the battery when you're not using it. I have one and it is great. They "trickle charge" so there is no risk of frying your battery and they automatically switch on and off as needed. Basically, they ensure that your battery will be fully charged every time you start the quad. I'm still on the stock battery too, and mine's a 2000 model :eek2: Still running strong...:o

Don't forget, that it IS winter now and that means your quad will want to run leaner than normal due to the cold, dense air. You may want to jet a bit richer to help it start easier.

Pappy
12-01-2005, 03:37 PM
i agree fully on the battery tender....

and i have them also:p