PDA

View Full Version : replicating candy powdercoat color with paint?

Daredevil1
11-28-2005, 08:56 PM
Hey guys, its been a long time since I've posted here....went away to college. But in a few weeks when Im out of school for a month the 440 is getting a facelift. My frame, a-arms, and swingarm as of now are silvervein and the bike has red accents with red plastics and a carbon fiber nose. I am going to a completely different color scheme along with a +3 front end instead of my +2...should be sweet.

Anyways I want to paint parts like my steering stem, oil tank, hubs and a few other assorted areas in a candy red, but being a poor college student at the time I dont have the money to powdercoat everything. Is there a way to duplicate the candy red color with paint and have it look fairly similar? I am fairly good with body and paint work on cars, but I dont really know what process or layering of base/clear/metallic etc. to get that deep "candy" look. Any help would be appreciated.

jesshamner
11-28-2005, 10:21 PM
Wal-Mart has a rattle can that looks like candy red. I have some and it looks pretty good when done right. But you already know not to put it on stuff that's going to get a lot of wear. Afterall, its just a rattle can.

Daredevil1
11-28-2005, 10:39 PM
I was planning on doing the lower a-arms, swingarm, steering stem, and a custom two color job on the oil tank with it. I used rattle can to paint the frame on my blaster and it is still holding up today with a few years of motocross under its belt, so I if I do it the right way it should be ok.

But I guess what Im asking here is I know that candy color is a three stage process: silver base, "candy coat", and then clear. Well I have no idea where to get this "candy coat" or something similarly translucent that would make that deep red in a rattle can? Anybody have any ideas?

Eddiesanders250
11-28-2005, 10:59 PM
try a local paint store...... maybe they can point you in the right direction.

cb450r
11-28-2005, 11:17 PM
I would recommend your local Auto Zone.
Try the Dupli Color spray paint line.
Dupli Color has a bazillion colors available many of which are matches to the auto manufactures car and truck colors.
Just make sure you stick with an all acrylic or Enamel paint job from primer to color to clear, DO NOT mix acrylic with enamel or vice versa!! It will leave you with a bad paint job!

Hope this helps.

Daredevil1
11-28-2005, 11:30 PM
alright thanks guys. I'm constantly at auto zone for car parts but I dont spend much time in the paint section other than to get my specific touch up paint. I didnt realize duplicolor's line had anything like this in there.

416exfreak
12-10-2005, 08:01 PM
discount auto parts has a candy, blood red, the color u need

TheFontMaster
12-10-2005, 09:47 PM
I don't know how well the paint would hold up on the a arms, they take alot more wear than the frame, and if you do get a chip and want to fix it you have 3 layers to go through and fix. You said your into paint and body work, so I shouldn't have to say that if you use automotive paint like PPG that it will cost more than powdercoat. I say that just for ease of use untill you can aford powdercoat to just use some basic single stage rattle can paint. You can still get an awsome looking quad with just basic colors.

Daredevil1
12-11-2005, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the help guys. Now Ive managed to change my mind after doing a photoshop on the ol' 440. I am going candy blue instead. I came across some Duplicolor Metalcast paint at Murray's the other day and bought it. I already have silver paint and clear, so I'm going to give it a try this coming weekend. It seems to be pretty close to what I'm looking for with the translucent color which can be painted over any reflective or metallic surfaces.

I figure if it doesnt work, I'm only out $6 and a few hours work on the a-arms. The rest should hold up fine with the paint. From my experience, surface prep is king. You can get automotive paint to hold up almost as well as powder as long as you dont skimp anywhere in the process and take your time. I painted the frame, a-arms, and swingarm of my blaster that I motocrossed for 2 years and it held up like a champ. So I'll see what happens and I'll get pics up as soon as I finish. I cant wait to have finals overwith so I can get crackin on this project, along with the dozen other ones I managed to start and never finish!