PDA

View Full Version : swingarm bearing replacement

powerbrad5000
11-28-2005, 05:51 PM
After my last ride I noticed some play in my swingarm, around the pivot bolt. I ordered the pivot works swingarm bearing kit which I am hoping is all I need to cure this. Can anyone give me some advice or instructions on how to replace these? I know removing the pivot bolt is usually the hardest part but it was replaced fairly recently so I am hoping this wont be a problem. Thnaks for any help. The machine is a 2001 400ex.

Van Gogh
11-28-2005, 07:30 PM
They have 2 b pressed in, dont use a hammer. The edges are real weak. My honda dealer charged me half hour to press them in. $35.

Unverfehrt400ex
11-28-2005, 09:30 PM
mines a 2000 and its seen a decent amout of mudd in its days. I replaced them a few months ago. ive learned my lesson. i will definetely take it out everyonce in a while to lube the bolt. It was about a 4 day process for me. we used everything from impact wrenches to presses and huge sledge hammers. a guy who is a mechanic at our local honda dealership even came and helped and we couldnt get it out. I finally got out the sawazaw and was able to cut the bolt on the one side and then had to get out a torch for the other side and finally got the swing arm to drop off. by far the hardst thing ive dont to it in the last 4 years. it was a real b*tch. Good luck man hope its easier for you

powerbrad5000
11-29-2005, 05:34 AM
My swingarm bolt actually broke right after I bought my 400, about a year ago. I didnt even try to get it out because I thought the extended warranty on my machine would take care of it. Yeah right. Anyway this time I am on my own. I am thinking replacing the bearings would be a lot easier if I took the swinger completely off? Or can you just lower it down and press them out with a clamp?