PDA

View Full Version : Cant get wheels off

trict_out
11-28-2005, 04:43 PM
We have beat the dog **** out of the rear douglas 190s on my friends z400 and we cant seem to get them off the studs. I dunno if douglas put glue on them or not. Any ideas?

zeppelin
11-28-2005, 04:47 PM
carefully heat up the wheel around the studs with a propane torch, do not get it too hot though you could warp your wheel or screw up your tire

bulkdriverlp
11-28-2005, 04:47 PM
get a puller

crday98
11-28-2005, 04:54 PM
i had the same problem with douglas rims on both my warrior and my ex. i just kept tapping with a rubber mallet and turning the wheel slightly as i tapped. eventually they will come off. before you put them back on, use a drill bit that is a hair (i mean a hair) larger than the existing hole. you could also use some fine sandpaper and smooth down the lip that sits on the hub. this will make it easier for the next time you have to remove them. ;)

BLACKeR
11-28-2005, 05:28 PM
just hit them harder, always worked for me. if there really stuborn, pull the hub and wheel off together, and tap on the studs with somethign soft like a piece of wood. should come of with a few smacks!

JDiablo
11-28-2005, 05:33 PM
thats because those arent tapered rims,flip your lug nuts on the flat side like this --- ,instead of this / \

And just heat them up slighty.and tap on them

Nick110
11-28-2005, 06:27 PM
what he said ^

Sjorge450R
11-28-2005, 07:33 PM
man, i had the same problem with my 300ex a couple of weeks ago. Went to do my front brakes and the front wheels didnt want to come off. Like everyone else said, i beat them with a rubber mallet while you spin the tire. It took my like 1/2 hour but i got it off. :)

tp300ex
11-28-2005, 08:35 PM
ha yea i did that heat it a lil than beat it off...should work

11-29-2005, 11:46 AM
i used a sludg hamer n a crow bar to get mine off cuz the rubber mallet broke in to chunks from hitting the rim.

11-29-2005, 11:47 AM
after the rims of u probly need new studs cuz their probly bent.

Honda TRX250ex
11-29-2005, 05:10 PM
heat them up with a propan tourch than try to get them off than use a lil liquid wrench let it sit on there than try
go to thhe gym a lil bit when while you put liquid wrench too:p

trict_out
11-29-2005, 06:17 PM
lol i dont think the gym will do zforcefx any good. Hes as big as a HOUSE! Now me on the other hand....

Honda TRX250ex
11-29-2005, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by trict_out
lol i dont think the gym will do zforcefx any good. Hes as big as a HOUSE! Now me on the other hand....
rofl thats mean
what about slim fast:p
only kidding ya

elchankoblanko
11-30-2005, 02:14 PM
I used a sterring wheel puller to get my itp baja's off. Then i drilled the hole out a little bit bigger so they wouldnt get stuck anymore.

NacsMXer
11-30-2005, 04:19 PM
I have that same problem when I try to pull my Hipers off. I have the lug nuts the right way and everything but the studs get stuck in the holes. It is because the center hub of the rim is made out of aluminum and the studs are steel, which is a harder metal. The studs bite into the aluminum over time and make it a PITA to get them off.

In fact, the stock rims have steel sleeves in the stud holes so the aluminum will never contact the stud.

I'm not sure what to do about it. I was thinking some antiseize liberally-applied to the studs may help a bit? :confused:

zforcefx
11-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by trict_out

Hes lying im more like a double wide not a house.....And Honda TRX250ex.. I tried slim fast i liked the choclate flavored ones but i liked em so much it back fired on me and made me fatter i was drinking about a case a day....im thinkin about sueing them for false advertisment.

JDiablo
11-30-2005, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
I have that same problem when I try to pull my Hipers off. I have the lug nuts the right way and everything but the studs get stuck in the holes. It is because the center hub of the rim is made out of aluminum and the studs are steel, which is a harder metal. The studs bite into the aluminum over time and make it a PITA to get them off.

In fact, the stock rims have steel sleeves in the stud holes so the aluminum will never contact the stud.

I'm not sure what to do about it. I was thinking some antiseize liberally-applied to the studs may help a bit? :confused:

I would try that,and try using a washer before you throw the lug nut back on

trict_out
11-30-2005, 10:51 PM
we're a c*unt hair away from cuttin the fother muckers in half. Nothin seemed to work so far, Thanks for all the quick and helpful replies though...nothin like good ol exriders friendliness;)

400exrules
12-10-2005, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
thats because those arent tapered rims,flip your lug nuts on the flat side like this --- ,instead of this / \

And just heat them up slighty.and tap on them

yup, on these aluminum rims you have to put the tapered side out, because if you dont, the taper will pinch the aluminum down on the lug and it will get stuck onto the lugs. My front douglas red labels are stuck pretty d*mn good, cuz i dont feel like bangin on them right now.....but my rear blue labels that i use for drag racing were stuck pretty good, but it took 30 mins. of very hard banging with a rubber mallet, to get them off. And when i took them off, their were rings of aluminum shavings on the threads of the hubs:eek:

bigbadbrad
12-11-2005, 02:16 PM
it is because of galvanic corrosion. The alluimunin the rims and the steel on the hubs and studs react with each other and "weld" to each other. like someones said once you get them off use some never sieze and they should come off easier next time. also this happenson cars and trucks with alluminum rims so if you change your on tires or when you have them changed tell em to use some never sieze so you wont damage your rims when taking them off next time

kyleschonert
12-11-2005, 03:57 PM
speaking of wheels....... Do Suzuki and Honda have the same rear bolt pattern?

zforcefx
12-11-2005, 03:59 PM
yes they do

onefast400ex
12-12-2005, 05:28 PM
My douglas front rims were also stuck to my 400ex. Hit the hub with a sledge hammer. The wheel should come off.

bigbadbrad
12-13-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by kyleschonert
speaking of wheels....... Do Suzuki and Honda have the same rear bolt pattern?

on the z400 and the hondas they do, not sure abiut the quadracers of the early days