PDA

View Full Version : TCS vs. Axis vs. Elka vs. Works

fugitivracing65
11-28-2005, 03:52 PM
What are the advantages to each of these shocks for a long travel desert racing setup. How often do these shocks need to be serviced.

fugitivracing65
11-28-2005, 03:56 PM
i forgot to mention that i am planning on running American Star Extreme Travel arms because i got a good deal on them and am planning on running their swing arm as well.

JR3
11-28-2005, 03:59 PM
Out of all them i would choose axis because i have ridden on every other shock that is there in long travel form and i chose axis and duidnt regret it at all.

11-28-2005, 04:45 PM
gonna have to go with elka, many desert racers use them, along with such riders as doug eichner etc, they are great shocks and depending on how long you ride etc, would all depend on how often u need to service them, you will also gain the customer service elka has to support their product so that you wont have to wait forever to get your problems tooken care of, if there even is a problem

elka all the way :macho

fugitivracing65
11-28-2005, 04:57 PM
ya i was leaning toward elka's. Does precision concepts sell elka's or do u have to purchase them somewhere else and take the shocks to them to get revalved and resprung

JR3
11-28-2005, 04:59 PM
After u bought them from elka i would send them to precision elkas valving is a little off.

fugitivracing65
11-28-2005, 05:21 PM
ya and i am on the heavy side. Also there have been some precision concepts reps and some of the races i do here in so cal.

11-28-2005, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by fugitivracing65
ya i was leaning toward elka's. Does precision concepts sell elka's or do u have to purchase them somewhere else and take the shocks to them to get revalved and resprung

precision concepts does sell elkas i believe, you may want to buy them from them setup for you, or get them from gt thunder setup for you, either of these places can set the elkas up top knotch and you will have a top of the line setup

benbuilt4u
11-28-2005, 06:49 PM
i have custom axis and love them. cant really say much about elkas but the customer service at axis was incredible. i shipped monday had them back friday revalved and everything!!!

jesshamner
11-28-2005, 10:31 PM
No comments on TCS?

400grl
11-28-2005, 10:52 PM
I have plenty of comments about TCS!! My husband and I both run the LT TCS triple rates with rezzies.......we race MX, with WORCS, GP and some desert racing thrown in. I loved my suspension on the MX track, but really fell in love with it in my first desert race. Todd can set up shocks extremely well - he got both of ours exactly how we wanted them set up, and he also revalved my stock rear shock absolutely perfect. The shocks are made with quality materials/springs and I honestly feel that you can't get a better shock for the money.

However - everyone has their opinion on shocks. Do some research, educate yourself and make the best choice for YOU. ;)

R3Concepts
11-29-2005, 03:46 PM
PEP of course..Just got off Axis and they, and Elkas cant hold to PEP...Before the comments go awall about bad customer service, and long wait times and this and that yadda yadda.....

Mark had my last set of PEPs done in 4 days.

fugitivracing65
11-29-2005, 04:34 PM
cool thanks for the replies guys it really does help with choosing a shock. I have heard that ohlins are pretty good in the desert too but dont know where to even find them or buy them. From what i have read on other posts their customer service is not very good either.

jacobw
11-29-2005, 05:19 PM
propilotracing for ohlins he will take care of you and make sure you shock is dialed in properly for you

h400exrydr
12-01-2005, 10:16 AM
TCS!!!

ThumPIN_450R
12-02-2005, 12:38 AM
I also like PEP but my rear shock I ordered not too long ago took from early august untill mid november to get. On my next bike I will probably go AXIS, I love the PEP shocks but I can't stand the wait associated with them

jacobw
12-02-2005, 03:18 PM
hre is a unbiased shock comparison that you might want to read
http://www.yfzcentral.com/invision/...showtopic=37883

R3Concepts
12-02-2005, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by ThumPIN_450R
I also like PEP but my rear shock I ordered not too long ago took from early august untill mid november to get. On my next bike I will probably go AXIS, I love the PEP shocks but I can't stand the wait associated with them

My last set took 4 days:ermm: I've gone from PEP to Axis for last year and back to PEP again this year, and Axis doesnt quite have the rear end where it needs to be....It doesnt get any better then PEP for a 450R.

ThumPIN_450R
12-02-2005, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by R3Concepts
My last set took 4 days:ermm: I've gone from PEP to Axis for last year and back to PEP again this year, and Axis doesnt quite have the rear end where it needs to be....It doesnt get any better then PEP for a 450R.

mine took almost 4 months. Mark said that he had marked that it was done when it wasn't and he never thought about it until I called but that didn't get me my shock any quicker. My fronts also took about the same amount of time and he didn't mess up that time. Maybe you're special or something I don't know but I'm not the only other person that has waited for so long for these shocks.

400grl
12-05-2005, 12:03 AM
4 DAYS.....for PEP's set up just for you? That means hell froze over THAT day.......funny I didn't notice it.......:o :D

Jersey450R
12-05-2005, 03:34 AM
ishock

fandl450r
12-05-2005, 08:10 AM
My last set took 4 days:ermm: I've gone from PEP to Axis for last year and back to PEP again this year, and Axis doesnt quite have the rear end where it needs to be....It doesnt get any better then PEP for a 450R. :rolleyes: I have seen you post this "4 day" timeframe quite a bit. So how did you get them so quickly?

R3Concepts
12-05-2005, 04:32 PM
Called Mark, told him this is Morgan with R3Concepts, he said "hey guy" I said PEPs by the 23rd, yes or no, he said "yes" I said ok, he called 4 days later and they shipped...Its really quite easy. And I got a deal..It was a bit chilly that day now that you mention it, Corry.

ThumPIN_450R
12-06-2005, 12:46 AM
Called Mark, told him this is Morgan with R3Concepts, he said "hey guy" I said PEPs by the 23rd, yes or no, he said "yes" I said ok, he called 4 days later and they shipped...Its really quite easy. And I got a deal..It was a bit chilly that day now that you mention it, Corry.

it takes a week just to get stuff shipped to me from Baldwin. I do like baldwin motorsports though Mark will take the time time to talk to you about things and explain problems he has helped me on more than one occasion figure out problems I've been having with my quad. Damn though 4 days I'm gonna have to get you to help me out on some of my parts oredering for my next bike.

R3Concepts
12-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Just say when.