PDA

View Full Version : Can I Install HRC Myself?

KRMit
11-28-2005, 03:08 PM
I can take stuff apart and put it back together, but there's a limit to how much I trust my skills. I don't see a problem swapping pipes or changing jets in the carb, but I'm worried about the cam. What will I need for this and can I actually do it myself? Do I need a shim kit?

KRMit
12-06-2005, 10:55 AM
*bump*

jlm996s
12-06-2005, 11:06 AM
You can do it yourself. I just did mine. Here is a guide that I used...very helpful. Guide (http://www.rockinhorseweb.com/hrc_powerup_kit_install.htm)

400exMO
12-06-2005, 12:03 PM
all that's really easy, if you have some mechanical skills. Just follow the guide.

OKTRX450R
12-06-2005, 01:04 PM
I need to update the guide with these changes:

There are 2 TDCs (Top Dead Center) on a 4 stroke motor...make sure the lobes of the cam are pointed to the rear of the quad (like the pic).

Also, when removing the cam sprocket, put the quad in gear, have someone else step on the rear brake, and then loosen the 2 allen heads...much easier then trying to hold the sprocket...

Mabye I will make those changes today...

KRMit
12-06-2005, 01:10 PM
That looks like a very good guide. I'm actually getting the kit for a '06 but most of that still applies.

tcr450r
12-06-2005, 03:01 PM
You say that there are 2 top dead centers and that the lobes have to face the back. Does this apply to checking valve clearances?

OKTRX450R
12-07-2005, 07:34 AM
Yes...also the same with valve clearances...

I have been told by some their clearances measure the same whether the lobes point forward or rearward...well, they do not on my bike nor on several other's. I took it back apart just to check and I will be dead on spec with them facing rearward, spin to point forward and the exhaust valves are out of spec tight.

Any of you living in the NE Oklahoma area with an 06 and the HRC kit I would like to help install to do another write up for the 06's. Just PM me if you are in this area and willing...

quad2xtreme
12-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by OKTRX450R
Yes...also the same with valve clearances...

I have been told by some their clearances measure the same whether the lobes point forward or rearward...well, they do not on my bike nor on several other's. I took it back apart just to check and I will be dead on spec with them facing rearward, spin to point forward and the exhaust valves are out of spec tight.

Any of you living in the NE Oklahoma area with an 06 and the HRC kit I would like to help install to do another write up for the 06's. Just PM me if you are in this area and willing...

Hurry up! :) I am picking mine up today and decided not to have the dealer install the HRC kit even though they only wanted $100 to do it. 1) I can get the kit about $90 cheaper from service honda so it is really like paying $190 2) I just don't like anybody I don't know wrenching on my quad if I can't at least watch. 3) I will be patient and get my new graphics installed, order the manual, the HRC kit, a new steering stem, etc before breaking it in.