PDA

View Full Version : Houser ball joints

thorspapa
11-28-2005, 02:10 PM
My regular-travel/non-slycast Houser a-arms upper ball joints are loose/worn.

I know that most of these ball joints are tie rod ends from the automotive world. I can purchase most of these types locally for $5-$10, versus $35 from Houser.

Does anybody know for a fact what cars/truck, and what years, the Houser upper a-arm ball joints come from?

440xcex
11-29-2005, 07:06 PM
suzuki samurai tie rod ends, buggy works in indiana sells them for sandrails also. phone#765-342-0462 cost around $13.00 used them with great success

thorspapa
11-29-2005, 09:29 PM
Thank you very much for your help.

400exMO
11-30-2005, 10:02 AM
I have HSD strong arm aarms and they're exact replicas of housers. I need new upper balljoints and mine are 14mm. Thorspapa, did you call that place and get the balljoint? I'm not wanting to spend 30 from HSD and wait 2 weeks for them to recieve some more. I NEED NEW BALL JOINTS FAST.

thorspapa
11-30-2005, 10:21 AM
Here's what I found out: The NEW Houser upper ball joints are 16mm ones made by Frap, it's the same ball joint used by Leager, ArsFx and some others, and I was told it was a special item made for quads. Aparently it is the same style as the old joint used by Lonestar, EXCEPT it has an angle built into the end.

The old 250R and 400EX joints were Ocap tie rods from a VW.

A Courier 16mm tie rod end from any auto parts store will apparently fit and bolt right in, but since the angle is incorrect at the end for my a-arms, it'd break when reaching full travel, like when landing from a jump.

Ditto for the Suzuki tie rod ends: they'd work with the old style a-arms, may not with the new ones.

I found this information through the kindness of a man in the industry whose name you would all recognize. I'm witholding the name because it was a private conversation, though I think he wouldn't mind me sharing the information given.

johnny_bravo
12-03-2005, 04:28 AM
400exMO, did you find any ball joints yet?

I'm sorry that we (Strong Arm) are out of stock of 14mm ball joints, but we now use the 16mm size in our a-arms.

I have a few slightly used 14mm ball joints if you are interested.

I just want to clear something up - the original Houser a-arms are a copy of Strong Arm a-arms.

jb
Strong Arm

400exMO
12-03-2005, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by johnny_bravo
400exMO, did you find any ball joints yet?

I'm sorry that we (Strong Arm) are out of stock of 14mm ball joints, but we now use the 16mm size in our a-arms.

I have a few slightly used 14mm ball joints if you are interested.

I just want to clear something up - the original Houser a-arms are a copy of Strong Arm a-arms.

jb
Strong Arm
I haven't found any yet, couldn't get ahold of Burgard like you told me to. If the slightly used balljoints are still in good condition I'll take one. If you still remember my phone number call me when you read this, if not Pm me or I'll call sometime. Thanks mitch

johnny_bravo
12-03-2005, 06:01 PM
Mitch it will ship on Monday. Mark

400exMO
12-03-2005, 11:11 PM
THanks.