PDA

View Full Version : Question on setting timing/ignition

Coyoteman
11-28-2005, 08:50 AM
From reading the Clymer manual, all that needs to be done is line the mark on the case with the "f" mark at TDC and it should be correct. Sounds pretty simple, is this all there is to it or am I missing something? I am putting on an ignition from a 98 CR 250. The marks on the flywheel are (ll and l). I assume the ll is the "f" mark and the l is the "t" mark?

zedicus00
11-28-2005, 09:24 AM
align the mark on the case with the mark on the stator at TDC. the flywheel has a keyway and only goes on at one spot. is that what you meant? im not sure i understood that right.

wilkin250r
11-28-2005, 09:36 AM
The clymer manual is written for the STOCK components. You are not using stock components, you are using the ignition from a different motor. Therefore, you cannot go by the clymer manual.

So, forget the clymer manual. Talk to somebody that has experience with the CR ignition.

Coyoteman
11-28-2005, 11:29 AM
OK, so I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed
:p . That's why I'm on here asking. The flywheel/magneto that was on the motor when I bought it is nothing like either, it's a Motoplat, so I've never even seen a stock flywheel/stator, except for what's shown in the Clymer manual. I went home on my lunch break to look over the cr ignition and I only see marks on the bottom of the magneto. Can anyone with the cr ignition help a brother out?

zedicus00
11-28-2005, 05:09 PM
i dont know the answer for sure and yur not getting a lot of help. i would say try calling ESR.

wilkin250r
11-28-2005, 05:20 PM
Zed might be right. I know we have members that are running the CR ignition, but they may not be checking the site every day. Or, they might be running it, but not exactly sure how to set it up.

It might be a while before you get an answer on here. You might be better off talking to a shop.

If you DO find an answer, be sure to post that info here. I'm sure others will be interested.

robyone
11-29-2005, 02:40 AM
Are you sure you want to use a 98 cr ignition? the 01 is the one ESR sells because of the digital cpu style ignition. Pre 01 is the same as the trx, cdi style... just a smaller flywheel.
What kind of riding do you do?