PDA

View Full Version : 300 EX clutch replacement

Exssesive
11-27-2005, 11:17 PM
Hello folks,
I am replacing the clutch on my sons 300 Ex but I have hit a snag here. All you experianced 300 folks out there I need some advice, how do you get the clutch basket nut loose??? It was peened over on the original setup it looks like and I got that knocked back out of the way , but don't see any way to hold back on the engine to get this nut broken loose. I do not have a shop manual yet,,,and no Clymers either. So I need some help, this looks like the place to come. My Banshee is a bit easier than this,any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thx a million in advance. I have ordered the shop manual but that is a week away from getting here.

Exssesive1

kd5sfq
11-28-2005, 12:12 PM
I use an impact wrench myself... There is a special tool that will prevent it from moving but I have no clue where to find one.

It is a good practice to replace the lock nut because bending it weakens the metal... It has to be peened in order to lock right...

If your going to work on it yourself... Buy a repair manual... A Clymers is cheap compared to just one screw-up...

It's tricky putting the case back together... The book has lots of helpful information about how to do things the easy and correct way...

Hints:

Remove all old gasket off the cover and case. I use a spray on gasket remover and let it soak first.

The reverse lockout shaft and spring should be inserted into the right case before the gasket and cover.

Make sure the clutch lifter works freely with the lever.

Make sure the hollow dowl and seal are installed at the oil pump. The tend to fall out when taking the cover off... If it's not correct your engine will over heat and have a very short life.

Put the gasket on the case with hondabond or yamabond before installing the cover. It will move less than putting it on the cover first...

Take your time... Haste working on an engine can waste an engine...

Exssesive
11-28-2005, 03:37 PM
Hey , I appreciate the description and the advice, it will help,,,no doubt,,, first for the hollow dowel, didn't see it when i took the cover off,have to go looking now. So that a first save. I am still looking for the tool,but a good friend is setup up with the impacts so that where I will be taking it to get the nut off.
As for family and ATV's , I ride a 02 Banshee, also a 2000 Banshee, I am restoring a friend let me have cheap. My son rides the 300 Ex, my second son and my youngest daughter both are riding 86 Honda 125's, got tme on Ebay,,,,in great shape and they have taken a beating,,,,we do all our own mechanic work,,, been one my whole life,,hopefull the rest will as well,we get alot out of it,,,so we know the Honda puzzle cover work a bit, the 86's are a maze to split the cases on,we did my youngest sons to replace the case with the cam chain tensioner,had to tear down the entire motor for that one,,it still lives,and as you said patience is the key,,,still tons to learn and you have helped a great deal,thx for the quick repsones and the advice,we will take it.

Exssesive1

kd5sfq
11-29-2005, 07:15 AM
Glad I could help..

If you go to:

http://www.bikebandit.com

pull up your 300ex in the OEM parts and go to the oil pump parts drawing link you will see item 10 and 12. That's the dowel and seal I'm talking about.

Those drawings are a great aid in working on these quads.

dork
11-30-2005, 05:04 PM
an impact works well if you have one. if you don't, then you can put the clutch springs in without the outer plate (2 should do) with washers over the end of the spring, and then just tighten up the bolts like normally. then you can use hand tools. make sure the lock nut is fully undone before you loosen it because its easy to booger the threads on the shaft. the torque on the nut is 80ft. lbs.

like kd5sfq said watch that oil pump dowel and o ring. also watch for the thrust washer on the end of the reverse selector. it goes on the side cover side of the shaft. when you put the cover on oil up that o ring and the seal that the end of the crank rides in as well.