PDA

View Full Version : anyone here broke an exhaust stud ??

Castor-426ex
06-24-2002, 09:33 PM
i just took my Big Gun exhaust off to polish it, and maybe have it coated...so when i tried to get one of the nuts off the stud that goes into the cylinder head...it snapped...now,..i could take this to honda and make them fix it....but is there a quicker way??It is an odd angle to try and approach with a drill....And it could be a pain with an easy out....My father is a machinist, and owns a lathe/ milling machine, he suggested removing the head to get it out...but I was just wondering if any of you had experience with this crap?? thanks

mxriderona400ex
06-24-2002, 10:58 PM
We have broken an exhaust stud too.We tried an easy out and it worked a little bit, but then the corner of the head cracked.We are trying to fix the head as we speak.This is not the first time i have heard of the stud coming out of the motor or breaking.I wish HONDA would use better quality bolts or do something to prevent this from happening.

My mods include K&N filter charger,165 main jet,full LRD exhaust,rear 20x11x9 holeshots,front 23x7x10 holeshots on douglas .190 aluminum rims,renthal bars,removed air box lid,DG alloy nerf bars and pro design kill switch.

timewass
07-01-2002, 11:17 AM
It's not the quality or design of the bolts being used, when you reinstall them just add a dab of silver antiseize and next time they'll come right out.

oynot400
07-01-2002, 12:29 PM
If you got acess to a milling machine, then I would take the head off and have him take it out. I think it would be less work doing that then tring to drill it out while it was in the frame.
I noticed that my studs came out when I took my head pipe off also. A little anti-seize will pay off the next time you take it apart.

BadA$$440
07-01-2002, 04:21 PM
I also had three of my studs come out, i just screw them back in as much as possible

phatswinn
07-01-2002, 04:45 PM
mine broke in the exaust manafold and i had to pay $90 to get it out

OutlawEX
07-01-2002, 06:08 PM
Mine had bend befor ...But if they are busted go buy and easy out

Castor-426ex
07-01-2002, 06:29 PM
yeah I got it fixed...we took the head off and put it on the milling machine....just drilled a smaller hole in the center of the stud...then my dad had some left handed tap and dies..so we threaded the hole we drilled so that we could use a bolt as a means to get it out...it worked..as we tightened the bolt ...Lefty tighty... the stud backed out...thank god I didnt have to drill it out and re-thread the hole...