PDA

View Full Version : Window Tint

JOEX
11-27-2005, 07:51 PM
Can you put the film type window tint on a window that has the grid type defroster?

LTandRaptorider
11-27-2005, 08:12 PM
I don't believe you can... Perhaps our new member Buddha, can bring us more enlightenment on this subject... ;) :p

Schooled 416
11-27-2005, 08:19 PM
Yes you sure can, my sister had it on her neon, I had it on my blazer, my father has it on his intrepid, my mother has it on her durango.

Schooled 416
11-27-2005, 08:20 PM
wait wait.... Grid type??? never heard of it?!

LTandRaptorider
11-27-2005, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Schooled 416
wait wait.... Grid type??? never heard of it?!

The window has a grid... strips that heat up for defrosting the rear window. ;)

JOEX
11-27-2005, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
I don't believe you can... Perhaps our new member Buddha, can bring us more enlightenment on this subject... ;) :p
The idea is to darken the windows a bit:p :devil:

LTandRaptorider
11-27-2005, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
The idea is to darken the windows a bit:p :devil:

Good one! :D I stand corrected... :p

JOEX
11-27-2005, 08:28 PM
What are the options for tinting this kind of window?

Schooled 416
11-27-2005, 08:31 PM
Are you talking about like at the top of some windshields, where it starts getting darker....?

JOEX
11-27-2005, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Schooled 416
Are you talking about like at the top of some windshields, where it starts getting darker....?
No, it's the rear window that has the wire defroster.

11-27-2005, 08:41 PM
If you believe it can be done, it can be done my friend.

JOEX
11-27-2005, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Buddha
Please enlighten me with darkness:D

Warnerade
11-27-2005, 08:59 PM
it can be done, i've tinted a few of them..there is nothing special that has to be done for it.

spudss
11-28-2005, 07:06 AM
first off what kind of car is it?? and how dark are you wanting to go? the darker you go the thicker the material..The tint is applied to the inside of the window so it doesnt affect your defrost. If you plan on doing it yourself get ready for hell.. It is very dificult to tint a rear window do to the contour of the glass..

MichaelS693
11-28-2005, 08:38 AM
yes, it can be done cause i have it on my truck.. ive got 5% on my passenger and driver window.. a layer of 5% over 20% on my quarter panel windows and a layer of 5% over 35 on my back glass and a 9 inch strip of 5% on my windshield (extremely illegal):D :D

2004exrider
11-28-2005, 09:06 AM
yeah, i had it on one of my cars with that grid and it was fine.

Jimmy

Ripitupfilms
11-28-2005, 11:58 AM
i have it on my gti just dont use the defrost button

ranger400ex
11-28-2005, 12:32 PM
Take this from someone who actually installed vinyl and tinting for years.....

1)Yes it can be tinted.

2)No it won't be messed up by using the defroster, BUT it must be a good film like Lumar, 3M, etc, none of the autozone/napa/pepboys crappy films

3)Darker tint=thicker=harder to apply...

Best way...take it to a professional tint shop, who will do it right, use the right films, and will warranty the install.

we installed film in places/windows never thought possible...do the back window of a saturn sc2 in 5%...then tell me how good you are at tinting:D

lots of baby powder...heat gun trickery...and a careful touch.
Too bad most shops have to do more than just tint nowadays...we hardly made a dime on tinting(labor cost), so we hoped they returned for other aftermarket goodies.

btw..if a shop says tinting is best judged from 3 ft away....go somewhere else. It is best judged...by sitting in the car.

Butters
11-28-2005, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Buddha

:bandit:

PismoLocal
11-28-2005, 02:20 PM
i have tinted the windows on my tahoe about twice a year for almost 3 years now because here in california its illegal to have your front windows tinted, the only way your tint will get all bubbly or ruined is if you turn on your defroster immediatley after its tinted i always wait 2 days after i tint my windows to turn on the defroster or roll down a window with fresh tint just to be safe.

bulkdriverlp
11-28-2005, 02:31 PM
i didnt know about the baby powder trick, oh well.

yes it can be done, wont mess anything up. some of you guys dont remember in the 70's when the defrost strips were on the surface of the glass, instead of IN the glass. back then you couldnt do it cause you could catch your fingernail on all the lines. times have changed. check with your local law enforcement, cause its no fun taking it off.

michigan states. 6" down on the top of windshield, 4"down on front side windows (dark as you want) thats it. as dark as you want on all other windows. unless you have the doctors waver

JOEX
11-28-2005, 04:33 PM
This is for a 2000 Subaru Forester. The defroster grid is on the inside surface of the glass, not embedded within the glass. I don't plan on going very dark, just want to give it another look and add some security.

In some areas any tint that isn't factory is illegal:ermm:

bulkdriverlp
11-28-2005, 04:49 PM
yes, check with your state police first. im not sure about that kind of defroster elements, dont think you can. most of us prolly thought it was in the glass.

Warnerade
11-28-2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by ranger400ex
we installed film in places/windows never thought possible...do the back window of a saturn sc2 in 5%...then tell me how good you are at tinting:D
im good.

but ya...my dad had to quit tinting windows at his shop becuasew there is just absolutely no money in it...

ranger400ex
11-29-2005, 06:29 AM
JOEX...read my post again.

Whoever keeps bringing up the defroster $hit...needs shot for stupidity.

take it to a reputable shop...if you have 35% put on the back and side windows...it will do what you are looking for, and should keep you legal. doing all the windows but the front, will REALLY make a difference. You loose quite a bit of optical clarity with 15% or less tint too.

stay away from the front window...I tinted 4 of my vehicles this way...and regretted it everytime. one scratch, and it all goes to he!!

We tinted sunray sunroofs too...everyone said it was impossible..mine was still perfect when I sold it. some careful razoring, wet sanding...and a little heat majic again..we could even get 5% too work on a sunroof.

tater_kamik
11-30-2005, 07:52 AM
i have mine 5% on the rear with the defroster, been 2 years no problems, no bubbling, window defrosts evenly, etc. i also havent known anyone that has had a problem with tint being on the defroster elements. i agree with ranger400ex completely. go to a good shop and you shouldnt have any problems. i get mine done at the same place in south carolina (even though i live in arkansas) because i know they do a good job. you definately have to sit in the car to see distortion caused by a shop doing a crappy job. i had one that i had to get redone (didnt get done at the shop i go to normally) because it had lines that distorted your view of the side mirrors. as for sunroofs, im gonna try to find a place that will do mirror tint. i know it can be done, my sister had it done on her cars for the last couple of years.

ranger400ex, do you mean tinting the whole windshield?? i know that is definately illegal, but how hard would it be to see at night? i always get my strip done to about the height of my rear view, cuts down on the glare nicely:cool:

ranger400ex
11-30-2005, 12:53 PM
yes...tinting the whole window...bad idea.:grr:

I use strip up top on my vehicles...but keep it out of my line of sight.