PDA

View Full Version : Serized motor, now what?

trailboss250
11-27-2005, 06:31 PM
Well my motor on my 94 is seized, it wont roll over. It is a 4.3. So i want to rebuild it and crank some more horsepower out of it, What should i do? Another question is Should i rebuild the Trans while im down there? I mean it does have 160K, And with the new motor i think it may be weak. But i really dont want to spend tons of money, Just the most bang for the buck. So what do you guys recommend?

TheFontMaster
11-27-2005, 07:13 PM
You should deffnatley have the trans rebuilt or replaced while you will have the motor and everything apart, or you will regret it when you put more power into the motor, then blow the transmission 2,000 miles down the road.

Schooled 416
11-27-2005, 08:26 PM
What kinda tranny? Im guessing 4l60e? They are pretty cheap to rebuild. I had just under $500 in mine (well it was a 4l60) and I lost the front planetary, which was another 150 bucks. Plus I had something done to the oil pump, I havent a clue about transmissions, no clue what it does besides make it shift harder. Definately easy and cheap to give a small block chevy some power

TheX1992
11-27-2005, 09:20 PM
One of the easiest things to do is if you have it out, swap in a 350. In the past year I have done 2 of them. The motor mounts are in the same places and just about everything else lines up. On the most recent one, we went from a 4.3 TBI to a 350 (was TBI but we made in carburated). A little bit more electrical to deal with, but the end result is great.

trailboss250
11-28-2005, 04:53 AM
I dont really want to put a 350 in it, just want to rebuild it with a few goodies.

babyboy
11-28-2005, 06:21 AM
I was gonna say drop in a 350.. it probably wouldn't cost that much more since they are a dime a dozen

trailboss250
11-28-2005, 01:36 PM
Ok- here is what i have so far..And have a few questions..
Cams- This S-10 is going to be my DD so i dont want to loose much MPG but i want more midrange power, So what kind of cam should i buy. And when i update the cam what else should i update?
Intake manifold- I see edelbrock has a manifold for my truck, $240. Is there better deals out there? Are they actually worth it? Should i update anything else?
Engine Rebuild kit- I read that sealed power has a good engine rebuild kit, They have forged and hypereutectic pistons, Are the forged actually worth the $100 more? It comes with pistons, piston rings, Main, Cam, And rod bearings, High volume oil pump, Gasket set, Brass freeze plugs, plastigage and assembly lube, Do i need anything to rebuild my motor?
Headers- Are there any good cheap headers out there? do i need to replace my stock Y pipe?
Roller rockers- Are they worth the money? what exacly am i looking for in roller rockers?
Electric fans- Are they worth buying? do they free up horsepower like they say they do?

What else do you guys recommend i should do that isnt going to cost me a arm and leg? I heard about buying some vortec heads...?
thanks

TheFontMaster
11-28-2005, 02:22 PM
Roller rockers are more for cams with higher lift, and that are making alot of horsepower. For your aplication regualar rockers are fine. The electric fan, could free up a couple ponies, thats because your takeing away mass that the engine would normaly have to turn, I'm not shure how much power, if any your will gain by putting in an electric fan. And unless your stock Y pipe is rusted out then you can use it, but since your looking for more power, I would try to find a nice aftermarket one. And just for the record, you can find a nice 350 motor and transmission on ebay for less than 1500 dollars.

trailboss250
11-28-2005, 02:41 PM
Yes i know i can find a nice 350 and tranny, But i dont have anyone to do the welding etc etc. this is my first time working with truck motors so i dont want to push it.
So my stock rockers will be fine?

Rich250RRacer
11-28-2005, 02:51 PM
This may sound stupid, but try taking the serpentine belt off and cranking it. I work in the parts business and had a guy come in to get a complete rebuild on a Chevy truck motor. After about $1500
he put the motor back in and it still wouldn't over. Turns out the alternator froze up and the motor wouldn't crank. The Delco CS style alternators are good for this. While you do have high miles, I would check this first. You might get a few more miles out of it.

trailboss250
11-28-2005, 03:01 PM
That gives me hope! I will go do that right now!