PDA

View Full Version : mxr4-mx tire kit w/itp pro-series wheels ?

exrider07
11-27-2005, 06:27 PM
i just bought new mxr4-mx tires and itp pro-series wheels for my 400ex. it love the tires and wheels, but the rims seem to be a little weak. i was at my friends track, and hit a 15 ft double bad, and landed front tires first. i did not flip it or anything, but continued riding the track with no noticable problems. when it came time to load up, my tire was flat. i took it off, found no holes in the tire, and filled it with air, and figured out it was comming out on the inside of the seam between the wheel and tire. any suggestions on how to stop the leak without buying a new wheel. the rim is not bent bad, just slightly, and not noticible until you can hear the air coming out slowly. thanks

orangeEX
11-27-2005, 06:45 PM
rubber mallet and bead seal.

Plante400
11-29-2005, 08:08 AM
those 50 dollar rims are junk...

K_Fulk
11-29-2005, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Plante400
those 50 dollar rims are junk...

Yup , should have got some with a rolled edge or reinforing ring.

400exrider707
11-29-2005, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
Yup , should have got some with a rolled edge or reinforing ring.

I have had the same problems with reinforced rims as well. So far the best combo for me has been rear beadlocks (the rears dont seem to take as much abuse for some reason) and stock honda front rims. The stock rims seem to hold up better than any of the .190's I've used.

K_Fulk
11-29-2005, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I have had the same problems with reinforced rims as well. So far the best combo for me has been rear beadlocks (the rears dont seem to take as much abuse for some reason) and stock honda front rims. The stock rims seem to hold up better than any of the .190's I've used.

I thought he was refering to the front. Thought everyone had enough sense to use beadlocks on the rear for mx. Guess not.

Beadlocks on the rear are a necesitity, not only for bending but to keep from rolling the tire off the bead as well.

400exrider707
11-29-2005, 10:04 AM
I thought he was refering to the front. Thought everyone had enough sense to use beadlocks on the rear for mx. Guess not.

Beadlocks on the rear are a necesitity, not only for bending but to keep from rolling the tire off the bead as well.

I never had a problem with the rear on my 400 at all. I ran an entire season on stock front and stock rear wheels and stock 450R tires. ??? Just dumb luck I guess.

K_Fulk
11-29-2005, 10:05 AM
Taller tire and the 450r tires dont get as much traction in a turn.. Try a set of regualr 8 inch wheels and some 18 inch tamers and see how long they last.

400exrider707
11-29-2005, 11:49 AM
Taller tire and the 450r tires dont get as much traction in a turn.. Try a set of regualr 8 inch wheels and some 18 inch tamers and see how long they last.

Yeah thats probably what it was. I've switched to 8in douglas beads in the rear, but the front I still have stock front rims, I just dont know what to get for front rims.

K_Fulk
11-29-2005, 12:00 PM
The stockers will probly last the longest. But the aftermarket wheels look better with beadlocks.

Ive used a set of dual reinforced wheels the last few years. But there probly gonna get put to use a practice only wheels. They arent quite round anymore. I cant complain about the durabilty since a tree pretty much did them in. The douglas rolled edge wheels would probly hold up fine barring any colisions.