PDA

View Full Version : friend crashed my new car

Juggalo
11-27-2005, 04:08 PM
well i bought my first car 3 weeks ago (bad *** 99 mustang GT) and on thanksgiving i let my friend barrow it to pick up his sister. i know you shouldnt ever let anybody barrow your car but he let me barrow his car countless times back in high school. so anyways he barrows it and i get a call from him a little later hes basically in tears and tells me he messed up my car bad. a deer ran out and he swerved to miss it and went in a ditch (ha! likeley story...but really i beleieve him). so the bumpers all ripped off, headlights are knocked out, fender is pushed back, some subframe damage. its gonna be a big bill. he called his insurance and they are refusing to fix it. they say the insurance follows the car not the owner. so now im going to have to turn it into my insurance and im going to get screwed. i have the car for 3 weeks, im a 20 year old with a V8 mustang, my second week i get a speeding ticket, and now im asking for a couple grand for damages. my rates are going to be outragous. his dad agreed to pay my deductable but we dont know for sure if we are going to turn it into my insurance or not yet cuz im a good family friend of theirs and they dont want me to get screwed but at the same time i and they both dont want to have to shell out thousands of dollars. this sucks. anybody else have an experience like this?

161xchonda
11-27-2005, 04:11 PM
that stinks bad man.:eek:

SGA
11-27-2005, 04:48 PM
Not good news at all.
Accidents happen though and you borrowed his car in the past many times. Just one of those things.

Mxjunkie
11-27-2005, 04:57 PM
I let my friend ride my cr80, I hear him go hay maker on the throttle in the air and I look and hes flying in the air and the bike lands totals it, bends the bars down to the number plate, trashed my pipe and the list went on..

he told everyone he tryed a superman :rolleyes:

as for people borrowing my car or anything anymore, thats a big HELL NO :devil:

11-27-2005, 05:03 PM
Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.

Kilabanshee
11-27-2005, 05:06 PM
Dave that's why you don't let people drive your sh1t! He should cover everything out of pocket for the damaged he caused. Sorry to hear about the stang.

Rip_Tear
11-27-2005, 05:08 PM
So why would you claim on your insurance...? That doesn't make any sense to me, buy the parts or get it fixed at a garage and pay for it outta pocket, see if your buddy will help you out or something, there's no need to claim on ins.

Claiming on your own insurance is never good, and the only reason I can see for doing it is if you were in a real jam, having NO money and NO time. Either way you're paying for it, so why not do it the "cheaper" way and keep those rates down.

LTandRaptorider
11-27-2005, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Buddha
Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.

Well Buddha... I like hatred, keeps me warm in the winter! :p

Sorry to hear about your car. As SGA said, you borrowed his car in the past... Sometimes chit happens. Try to work it out that you get it fixed out of your buddy and your pocket. You will save more in the long run by not having your premiums raised. And in the future... no more borrowing or loaning! ;) Good luck. :cool:

AtvMxRider
11-27-2005, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
So why would you claim on your insurance...?

Because it is his car.

tj_escott
11-27-2005, 05:44 PM
Juggalo... I have hit 3 deer with in 2 years. the second one was 2 weeks after I got my truck back from the first one I hit, and almost 1 year (with in 2 days) that I hit my second deer boom it happend again. This is where I am going with this the Insurance comp. didnt raise my rates or cancell me out. Because I hit a deer. Dont worry so much about it your your insurance isnt going to raise your rates. And hey if they do just tell them that you will take your business else where. If they play hardball you can too.

wvspeedfreak
11-27-2005, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Buddha

I am in awe of your marvelous knoweledge :ermm:

wvspeedfreak
11-27-2005, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by tj_escott
Juggalo... I have hit 3 deer with in 2 years. the second one was 2 weeks after I got my truck back from the first one I hit, and almost 1 year (with in 2 days) that I hit my second deer boom it happend again. This is where I am going with this the Insurance comp. didnt raise my rates or cancell me out. Because I hit a deer. Dont worry so much about it your your insurance isnt going to raise your rates. And hey if they do just tell them that you will take your business else where. If they play hardball you can too.

Problem is,he didn't hit a deer.................he swerved to miss it.

Woodsrider
11-27-2005, 06:50 PM
His insurance co. is right, insurance follows the car not the driver. Kinda jacked I know, but true. Ive been in his shoes, only worse. I was driving my best friends car a few years back and hit a pedestrian:o In my case the insurance reverted back to my policy because the cost of the injuries were more than his policy was written for. Fortunatly the only damage to the car was a shattered windshield, which I paid for out of my pocket. My insurance company was super the way they handled the whole thing with the injured pedestrian.
Anyway, best of luck with the whole thing.

hondaracer305
11-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Damn slaymaker! i didnt wanna hear that! hope you get all that straightened out man, that was a pimp car :( i may be back up in IL whenever we go up to the premiere party. :chinese:

JandJRacingKFX
11-27-2005, 08:17 PM
ok i had the same thing happen to me but i was in my truck...deer ran out i swerved hit a barbed wire fence and scratched the side of truck VERy bad. My insurance covered it and didnt raise my rate. I did have to pay the deduct but thats alot better then paying the whole thing. My question is, does anyone from your insurance company KNOW you werent the one driving the car?? If not tell them you were driving it and they should cover it

Butters
11-27-2005, 08:26 PM
that sucks. good luck with getting it fixed.

Juggalo
11-27-2005, 09:46 PM
hey guys thanks for the advice...but i think most of you misunderstood so im sorry if i gave the wrong impression. im not mad at my friend at all. in fact i felt really bad for him cuz he was so broken up about what he had done. what i was really glad about was he wasnt hurt nor was his sister who i am so close with she could be my sister as well ya know. in fact his whole family is prob closer to me than my actual family. anyways the reason i might have to turn it into my insurance is because 1. i cant afford to pay for it out of pocket (its prob going to be serveral thousand dollars worth of damage). 2. i dont want to make his family pay for it out of their pocket (although they said theyd be willing if its going to screw up my insurance) because for one they have done so much for me i feel bad making them have to do that and for two i want the car fixed right..not half assed and cheaply like wed have to do paying out of pocket. they already agreeed to pay my deductable (1000 dollars btw) if i do have to turn it into insurance so that way nothing would come out of my pocket. the thing is we won't know what we're going to do for sure until prob mid-week since we have to go get the estimate and talk to our agent to see what the best bet is to do. our agent is cool and will tell us straight up what the best thing is to do. she hooked us up big time when my quad got stolen a couple years back. anyways yeah it sucks my car is wrecked but i dont hold it against anybody. im just worried about whats going to happen, and it sucks knowing how hard i had to work for that car. i mean i payed for everything...the car, the outragous insurance, gas, maintinence, ect. my parents never gave me a dime towards that car everything was done on my own and now its so uncertain on whats going to happen its scary ya know. but hopefully everything will turn out allright and my friends parents are trying their hardest to make sure its fine.

oh and steve...if you come to IL before we leave you should ride with us in the pimp van.

TacomaNC4X4
11-27-2005, 11:45 PM
i let people stop driving my stuff. last time i let someone drive my 01 400ex that i had for 2weeks back in 04 and he blew it up. all i got out of it was a $350 shotgun

JTRtrx250r
11-28-2005, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by Juggalo
hey guys thanks for the advice...but i think most of you misunderstood so im sorry if i gave the wrong impression. im not mad at my friend at all. in fact i felt really bad for him cuz he was so broken up about what he had done. what i was really glad about was he wasnt hurt nor was his sister who i am so close with she could be my sister as well ya know. in fact his whole family is prob closer to me than my actual family. anyways the reason i might have to turn it into my insurance is because 1. i cant afford to pay for it out of pocket (its prob going to be serveral thousand dollars worth of damage). 2. i dont want to make his family pay for it out of their pocket (although they said theyd be willing if its going to screw up my insurance) because for one they have done so much for me i feel bad making them have to do that and for two i want the car fixed right..not half assed and cheaply like wed have to do paying out of pocket. they already agreeed to pay my deductable (1000 dollars btw) if i do have to turn it into insurance so that way nothing would come out of my pocket. the thing is we won't know what we're going to do for sure until prob mid-week since we have to go get the estimate and talk to our agent to see what the best bet is to do. our agent is cool and will tell us straight up what the best thing is to do. she hooked us up big time when my quad got stolen a couple years back. anyways yeah it sucks my car is wrecked but i dont hold it against anybody. im just worried about whats going to happen, and it sucks knowing how hard i had to work for that car. i mean i payed for everything...the car, the outragous insurance, gas, maintinence, ect. my parents never gave me a dime towards that car everything was done on my own and now its so uncertain on whats going to happen its scary ya know. but hopefully everything will turn out allright and my friends parents are trying their hardest to make sure its fine.

oh and steve...if you come to IL before we leave you should ride with us in the pimp van. You're a good dude mang!;) Sry about the car, but your buddy and his sis are lots more important... and you see that instantly. Most would freak and have a tizzy... probably even end a good friendship, glad to see you see way past that..:cool: ;)

best of luck

JForestZ34
11-28-2005, 07:20 AM
Sorry about the car man, I'm glad everybody alright. What year car is this? What condition was it in. If there is that much damage and it's an older car good chances are they will total the car. I know he's a good friend and his parents are really close to you and everything but I WOULDN'T put it under my insurance. It wasn't your fault, why would you want to almost take the blame for it. SO you borrowed his car alot of times in high school, just remember when you borrowed his car you brought it back in one piece, he didn't there's a big difference there. If he really was your friend and his parents respect you that much they wouldn't even think twice about paying for the damages. I know it sucks when it's your best bud and your really close with his parents but to make it right they might just have to pay for there sons mistake. If you put it under your insurance depending on what company you have, you have a 90% chance your premium(sp?) will go up. ALot of companys will not just shell out thousands of dollars and not try to get it back from you. I hope everything works out well for you.

James

derekhonda
11-28-2005, 08:17 AM
There is just one important thing to remember, Insurance companies DO NOT lose money. If they have to pay you now, believe me, you will pay them back more later.

If you have money saved up go that route. If not, go the insurance route. Maybe see about having your buddy cover half you insurance for the next year or two to help offset the additional cost.

I dunno, theres a lot of situations out there, I would just try to agree on one between your buddy that is fair. It definately shouldnt all come back on you you didn't wreck the car.

Juggalo
11-28-2005, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by JForestZ34
Sorry about the car man, I'm glad everybody alright. What year car is this? What condition was it in. If there is that much damage and it's an older car good chances are they will total the car. I know he's a good friend and his parents are really close to you and everything but I WOULDN'T put it under my insurance. It wasn't your fault, why would you want to almost take the blame for it. SO you borrowed his car alot of times in high school, just remember when you borrowed his car you brought it back in one piece,

James

its a 99 mustang GT. leather interior, mach 460, power everything, and lots of extras. fairly low miles (86k). the car is worth quite a bit and the airbags never blew so i dont think they will total it but in all honesty it really wouldnt suprise me that much if they did, but still i dont think the damage is that bad to where they'd total it. you are right tho about why should i have to pay for somehting i didnt do and that was actually the point that was brought up by my friends uncle who is a judge. i think the conclusion we came to was talk to the insurance, if its not going to hurt me we go that route, if it is gonna hurt me we pay cash. one reason i kind of want insurance to pay for it is that i had a peice on my hood that cracked in half before the accident plus my cowl had a crack in it too so i could get those things fixed too if i blamed them on the accident. i dont know..i have the day off work today and when my dad comes home we're gonna make some phone calls.

killen them all
11-28-2005, 01:22 PM
get some pic i might want to buy it

bwamos
11-28-2005, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Juggalo
you are right tho about why should i have to pay for somehting i didnt do and that was actually the point that was brought up by my friends uncle who is a judge.

My advice, if it's a good friend, it's not worth ruining a friendship over a couple paychecks. It is a lot of money and it sucks.

Check the insurance route. Make sure to explicitly state that a deer caused the accident. (You may need to have your buddy make a police report, for proof.) It "shouldn't" affect your rates, just don't get any mroe tickets or you're screwed. Tickets will raise your rates more than wrecks will (go figure).

Outside of the insurance route, if you guys are good with a wrench, you can do most of the repair work yourself saving a TON of money. (Hell, get a custom front end and hood while you're at it). For him to pay off the debt, have him help you work on it. Strengthen the relationship instead of bickering over a couple thousand dollars. See what he's willing to pay of course, just keep it reasonable. The fault lies in both places. You both take a risk when letting someone else drive your car, atv, motorcycle. If he was driving wrecklessly, the hours of work will make him think twice moreso than his parents paying for it.

Juggalo
11-28-2005, 05:31 PM
the problem is my friend goes to college in michigan and he was just back for thanksgiving.

killen them all- i dont want to sell it. its real slick lookin tho. black with like charcoal side stripes on the rocker panels, mach 1 chin spoiler, mach one shaker hood, mach one rear cover, bullet wheels, eibach pro kit springs and a buncha other goodies

AtvMxRider
11-28-2005, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
(You may need to have your buddy make a police report, for proof.)

Well if he didn't call the police when it happened or the police didn't show then they will not file a report. Trust me:ermm: If you hit a deer call the police don't just leave the scene

11-28-2005, 06:04 PM
Sometimes that doesn't work if you tell them that someone else was driving. In my case, it was my sister that found out. Someone asked her if they could borrow her keys and without thinking, she gave them. And then she went and totaled it. But, the person who did it said that she wrecked differently, which should of showed the cops that she was guilty but in Southern Illinois, they don't care if you aren't a hick. So they let her pass, and left my sister to pay for most of it besides what the insurance paid. Which turns out to not be that much. But maybe in your case, your insurance is. And hopefully, it is. Because if the person you let borrow the car was your friend, it shouldn't be severe.

400exstud
11-28-2005, 07:07 PM
About 2 months ago I racked up $8000+ in damages on my 1997 F-150. Yup, it was in my first 2 weeks of having my real license too. Now I am sitting get with a fractured wrist and the 73 year old b**** that pulled out in front of me when I was legally going 55 mph is driving around in a brand new car!!!:eek2:

vinson581
11-28-2005, 07:59 PM
well theres insurance, and mabey time for a roush conversion :)

SGA
11-29-2005, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by 400exstud
About 2 months ago I racked up $8000+ in damages on my 1997 F-150. Yup, it was in my first 2 weeks of having my real license too. Now I am sitting get with a fractured wrist and the 73 year old b**** that pulled out in front of me when I was legally going 55 mph is driving around in a brand new car!!!:eek2:
Huh? She must have had full coverage. What happened to your truck, did your insurance cover it?
I dont want to highjack juggs thread here, didnt you make a thread awhile back about it?