PDA

View Full Version : engine woes

hotrodhell
11-27-2005, 11:15 AM
i keep blowing out base gaskets.
im going to get new h/d cylinder bolts, cometic gaskets and new rings. any other suggestions to help keep this from happening? this is gonna be the 3rd time im doing this. im running a stock piston. should i check the case and see if its true along with the bottom of the barrel? any suggestions would really be appreciated. how much should i expect a machine shop to charge to tap and drill the cases for the bigger bolts?

400exrider0004
11-27-2005, 11:32 AM
Im not sure but you might need HD head studs!

400exstud
11-27-2005, 11:51 AM
Something seems fishy. I have heard of full race motors do fine with gaskets and they weren't running HD studs. There should be no reason that your stocker is going through gaskets especially because honda builds strong motors. (not saying that as a bias either)

hotrodhell
11-27-2005, 11:51 AM
it isnt the head thats leaking its the base. on the last rebuild one of the cylinder bolts took a little time to get up to torque.

hotrodhell
11-27-2005, 11:54 AM
do you think its overheating causing the gaskets to deteriorate

DAVE14
11-27-2005, 03:59 PM
the base of the cyl. is like a paper gasket nothing special & not a lot of pressure there either the torque spec. is 33 pounds if the base of the cyl. is straight & true & everything is clean that should never happen but it sounds like you have thread issues in the bottom while youre at it get a straight edge across that cyl. or get it checked.

hotrodhell
11-27-2005, 05:17 PM
i just got done tearing it back down. standing on the clutch side of the bike the back bolt for the cylinder just cracked loose really easy when it was torqued to 33. do you think i could just drill it out and put a case saver in it and be good?

DAVE14
11-27-2005, 07:23 PM
I never heard of a case saver (unless you mean helicoil) that should run fine the top of my cyl. has helicoils in it hangin onto g.t. thunder studs (I got the cyl. & piston used with super low hours with 12.5 to 1 440 ) & its holdin up for me on top so I cant see why the bottom wouldnt hold up I was goin to press the 440 sleeve into my good cyl. when I did my rebuild but my machine shop guy said it would hold up fine & it has .

hotrodhell
11-27-2005, 07:45 PM
case saver is similar to a heli-coil but its solid threaded on outside and inside. not wire like a helicoil

DAVE14
11-27-2005, 07:54 PM
sounds like a better fix than a helicoil I would do it but make sure its all straight & clean!