PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Jet Question

AtvKid4Eva
11-26-2005, 10:23 PM
I have a question about installing a 42 pilot jet on my 400ex. I hear everyone doing it so it starts better in the winter. Well i have an HMF slip on and a 165 main jet and i dont run an airbox lid. My question is what will be the difference if i use a 42 besides it will be easier to start what else does it effect??? does if effect idol? Does if effect performance?? Or is just mainly to make the bike start easier? I am considering doing it so i need to know.thanks.

tprender
11-27-2005, 07:46 AM
The pilot will help the low end take off. The main jet only goes from 1/4(3/8) to full. Before that the pilot is the taking care of busines. Most people only change the main, because it is easy to change. They don't do the pilot , because you have to remove the carb and take the bottom off. To much trouble, for some riders.

AtvKid4Eva
11-27-2005, 10:25 AM
anyone else?

TunedPerforman
11-27-2005, 10:53 AM
With that being said! With the proper size jet you will be able to tune your carb. to see if you need to go larger warm up your quad and adjust the pilot screw to a base setting of 2 1/4 turns out from botoming out. slowly turn in the screw until the engine rpm drops. One you have notinced a drop turn it back out until the engine rpm raises this will be a small window about 1/4 turn after that I allways give it another 1/2 a turn so under a load it will be running about right or a little rich. If you are unable to do all of this in 3 turns from bottoming out the pilot screw go up to the next pilot size and start the process over. By going to a larger size pilot to compinsate for not useing a choke in the winter will make it start easier but you will lose a little power and will be running rich all the time for what so you can cold start easier!!