PDA

View Full Version : How do I make my Predator FASTER?

Predatorman
11-26-2005, 07:22 PM
I was just wondering if anybody has any suggestions on what i can do to make my 2004 polaris predator faster it is stock right know but i am hoping to chacnge that !!

Please right back with any suggestions that you have!!

Thanks,
Predatorman

smokinwrench
11-26-2005, 08:09 PM
Buddy of mine sent his carb to Nickalous (sp?) Cycle. I think they pretty much put a fancy port and polish on the carb. All I know is he swears by this mod and I think it was fairly cheap also.

trailrunner77
11-26-2005, 08:41 PM
well if you want the truth alot of $$, well depends what you want

you want faster drags or faster on the trail?

1.) suspension upgrade....

2.) pipe, jetting

3.) airbox mod

4.) carb work nicholas cycle

www.nicholascycle.com

they have alot of mods you can do i haven't done the carb mod yet but i will in the near future.

i race xc and i have hmf slip on ceramic coated stock header. and elka quadrate rezzies front and dual rate remote rear and wow that makes a difference

TWISTED
11-26-2005, 09:47 PM
Sell it and get something else!!!!! JUST KIDDING!!!!! Call Rath Racing. He'll put you on track.

trailrunner77
11-26-2005, 10:26 PM
yeah i forgot about them,,,oops

Rath has some good products out there also.. check there website out

www.rathracing.com

Predatorman
11-27-2005, 01:48 PM
Hey thanks for all of the info

The thing that I am trying to set it up for is sometihing that I can ride around my house from farm to farm and bet all of my buddies and then something I can take up to the Dunes and stay with everyone up there too

I think I want to keep all of my suspension and that kind of stuff the same and just do work to it to make it go faster on top end!!

Predatorman

Kovatch
11-29-2005, 07:27 AM
Get an HPD head. www.hpd-inc.com A friend of mine bought the head with +3mm intake valves and I believe +2mm exhaust valves. Comes with full port and polish, cams, springs, shims etc. This will make your quad fly!! Check into that. If you were to buy a new carb to go with the head you are looking at an easy 45hp.

05predle
11-29-2005, 11:09 AM
if its still all stock just get a rath racing header and pipe and k&n filter and rejet and go from there if your still not happy. but that will add 5 to 6 hp by itself

wolffie
12-21-2005, 01:25 PM
do something with the intake!! put a clamp on K@N from denniskirk.com, or get a k@n that bolts on to the boot on www.rathracing.com

the predators intake is horrible ( trust me, i own one) rather than that consider buying a pipe. if you want low end torque and are tight on cash, get yourself an HMF sport series pipe. you can get one on www.motosport.com for around $215 for slip on. my brother put one on his raptor350 and my friend tim put one on his 400ex. when jetted properly, you can see a hefty increase on HP and torque in the low end!

the other thing you can do is get a good set of meats. if you dont mind a little bit of weight, by all means buy the ITP HD's. trust me, my friends run razrs, razr2s, mxr4, kend klaws, and the list goes on. the ITP HD's hold up the best and are ideal for rougher GNCC style riding. (not to say those tires arent bad, or that the HD's are the best for everything, im just saying for longevity, durabillity, and traction in the dirty stuff, they are amazing)

hope this helps boss!

PolarisRider06
01-15-2006, 06:11 PM
all of your guys ideas are great but he wants more top end SPEED... the only way to gain more speed on your top end is to re-gear it or get a hi-rev ignition.... all of the other mods will just help it top out faster but without higher gearing or a higher rev limiter it will still top out at the exact same speed as before no faster....

so the cheapest way to get more speed would be to regear your predator a little bit higher... then next step for more speed is a new ignition....

simple mods to help you top out faster without going in the engine would be:
set up your suspension(helps with take off)
pipe
intake
carb
NOS

if you want to dig into it:
head mods(port and polish, bigger valves, 5 angle valve job, stiffer valve springs, different cams)
big bore kit

the 2 best places to look for mods would be
1. www.hpd-inc.com
2.www.nicholascycle.com

hope that helps you out

wolffie
01-15-2006, 08:15 PM
yeah pretty much all of your needs can be fullfilled by calling up Nicholas Cycle. if you are on a budget gearing it, puttin a rev limiter on, and getting a more top end pipe ( like any kind of FMF) would be great! pretty much what polarisrider06 said is 100% correct, and will send you in the right direction! hope this helps!

babyboy
02-04-2006, 11:31 AM
25" rear tires will give you a higher top speed!!!

wolffie
02-04-2006, 01:24 PM
25 lol! yeah that would give you some major top speed but you would need all day to get there:D ! try some 22's!

LIL440EX
02-06-2006, 09:18 PM
to get about 1 10 more hp jsut drink about 6 beers. works everytime. ;)

Predatorman500
02-08-2006, 10:39 AM
Yeah that would help:D

What about Hot Cams anything on them I heard that a pipe, cam, and air filter will make them fly.

wolffie
02-08-2006, 06:10 PM
^^^ yeah that all sounds good. the best way to go (for pure performance) is a Nicholas Drag pipe, Nicholas Intake (or Civiv Intake), and the Nicholas Carb Mods. throw in a high comp piston and a cam, and you will FLY!

i plan on getting a pipe (probably HMF), the carb mods, and probably the Nicholas Intake!

www.nicholascycle.com
www.rathracing.com
www.motosport.com
www.rockymountainatv.com
www.predatorowners.com
www.denniskirk.com

these sites will get your pred goin!

nat78
02-10-2006, 06:30 AM
Why are you wanting to increase top speed? What is faster than you top end wise? I have a friend who just has a slip on and rejetted and it will beat 450's all day on top speed. Just curious

wolffie
02-10-2006, 12:19 PM
mabey he is a hardcore duner:confused:

Predatorman500
02-11-2006, 04:34 PM
You are right there is nothing stock out there that can beat me on top end but i still want to go faster on top end end b/c the only place i ride it is on the road and the low end really does not matter to me as long as i can fly on top end!!!

I go back and forth from farm to farm and to my friends house on the road so that is why i want top end

I have a honda 450r all built to the hill to race at the dunes that is all set up for the low end!!!

Predatorman500
02-11-2006, 04:36 PM
How fast do you think it will go if i put a cam in it and pipe and air filter:confused:

Just wondering

nat78
02-11-2006, 04:40 PM
just regear it then horsepower doesnt equal top speed, it will just get you to topspeed faster

MAaudioX10
02-11-2006, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by nat78
just regear it then horsepower doesnt equal top speed, it will just get you to topspeed faster

If you gear too tall, you won't have the power, stock, to pull that gear. That is where mods come in handy. Get the power, re-gear, and fly!

Predatorman500
02-16-2006, 10:40 AM
can anybody tell me exactly were to go to get the right sprockets that i want to go faster on top end b/c i am not sure what sizes to get

Thanks

wolffie
02-16-2006, 12:42 PM
www.predatorowners.com

killen them all
02-21-2006, 08:04 PM
if you just want top end get a bigger front sprocket but if you want to make to fast the guys that i ride with have a 558cc drag motor with a 44mm lictron carb and drag porting and polishe and then extend your swing arm and you will be set to run the strips of the dunes

wolffie
02-23-2006, 07:50 AM
they sell that lectron carb on www.nicholascycle.com and that thing is supposed to be pretty hot! i think it is around $400. i dont know how it compares to Edelbrock though!?

Predatorman500
02-23-2006, 10:41 AM
I just ordered a HMF pipe for it so just wondering if i will need to re-jet it

Thanks
Predatorman

killen them all
02-23-2006, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by wolffie
they sell that lectron carb on www.nicholascycle.com and that thing is supposed to be pretty hot! i think it is around $400. i dont know how it compares to Edelbrock though!? i herd that edelbrock is more fore the easy on gas thing if you want power go with fcr or letron i went with a 48mm single with a edelbrock intake on my raptor

wolffie
02-26-2006, 05:54 PM
^^^sounds good man!

oh yeah, predatorman500, with your HMF pipe, yes you will have to jet it! if you are completely stock right now, you will probably just bump up to a 155 main jet!

Predatorman500
02-27-2006, 10:35 AM
cool thanks alot

wolffie
02-27-2006, 12:53 PM
^^no problem! check out www.hmfengineering.com though, and ask them what they think (they have a forum there) but a 155-160 is probably good depending on your elevation! the only other thing i could think of that you might have to do is turn your fuel screw out a turn or so! check with the HMF guys:)

Bradracer18
02-27-2006, 01:32 PM
If you have not made any intake mods yet, you might get by on not rejetting. You'll have to check it, via the spark plug. Every motor is different, some run rich from the factory, and some run lean. If yours is running rich, you'll probably be ok....otherwise, you'll probably have to bump it up a size or two, as wolfie suggested.