PDA

View Full Version : Just a dream...

lvlenace
11-25-2005, 11:49 PM
Do you think it would be costly to ride 1000mi. down the highway in 24 hours on an atv? (not including gas or oil). I mean would it take a lot of money to keep a pair of new quads running at 60mph for MANY hours at a time straight? Would an atv even last that long doing 60mph? Just wondering. Me and my friend wanted to know because we planned on riding our atv's all the way to Tenesee from New York to go to quad riding school (http://www.joebyrd.com). Of course we'd need permits and stuff in order to do it but if we had all the permits would it be possible with little maintenance and no long term effects? I want to know because I'm trying to see if it's worth attempting hahaha I know I'm crazy but thats what I'm good at. Thanks for the help guys.

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&cl=EN&ct=NA&rsres=1&1a=&1c=Cairo&1s=ny&1z=12413&2a=&2c=+Union+City&2s=tn&2z=38261

Thats one hell of a long *** trip!

aviator4
11-26-2005, 12:01 AM
Barring the total number of impossibilities in this crazy scheme and strictly speaking about the ability of the quad to survive the trip, yes, it would make it. While a quad isn't designed for this type of use, there are many many quads that run marathon type events out there such as the baja 1000, the Dakkar rally etc...

The quad would make it... I hope you have someone following you with cans of gas though. The average 400cc bike only gets about 80-90 miles to the tank. OH, and not to mention that your knobbies will be bald from running on the pavement for so long.

But really, thats the least of your problems. The chances of you getting the appropriate permits are slim to none, and Slim just left town.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

lvlenace
11-26-2005, 09:55 AM
Nah it's cool. I didn't really plan on doing it but I do plan on going to that quad school with Joe Byrd.

Honda TRX250ex
11-26-2005, 09:42 PM
itd be a crazy ***** ride though

lvlenace
11-27-2005, 07:55 PM
hahaha thats exactly what we were thinking

Honda TRX250ex
11-27-2005, 09:50 PM
id do it if i had a banshee 409 and free gas

optikid123
11-29-2005, 11:41 AM
:o how can you even think youd be able to accomplish that? you need to put down the green smocks and realize quads are illegal on the roads, duh. you wouldnt make in 10 miles without the state trooper taking you home to mommy with a fat ticket

lvlenace
11-29-2005, 12:37 PM
wow ur a prick for leaving a stupidass comment like that when you could've said nothing. sometimes its better to keep your mouth shut. We'd hafta get permits from all the states we'd have to pass through and then we'd OBVIOUSLY have someone behind us with their flashers on and blah blah blah. besides I wasn't even planning on doing it

jack_no7
11-29-2005, 12:39 PM
I think someone forgot to take their midol

lvlenace
11-29-2005, 12:52 PM
yea sorry, I just take so many pills i sometimes forget a few :rolleyes: (HAHAHA no)

Honda TRX250ex
11-29-2005, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by optikid123
:o how can you even think youd be able to accomplish that? you need to put down the green smocks and realize quads are illegal on the roads, duh. you wouldnt make in 10 miles without the state trooper taking you home to mommy with a fat ticket
you ever hear of street leagal quads!?!?!
maybe not:rolleyes:

lvlenace
11-29-2005, 07:34 PM
No way the Outlaw is gonna be a street legal quad lmao. I'm getting it in febuary and working my *** off 30hrs a week for it too. damn that ****'s hard when going to school. ahh well at least I know how to pilot planes :P (Yes, I am a student pilot and my **** school pays for it) lmao

optikid123
11-30-2005, 06:52 AM
you cant ride quads on major highways even if they are legal man this thread is retarded why dont you go buy a trailer

lvlenace
11-30-2005, 12:40 PM
will someone please close the thread?

Honda TRX250ex
11-30-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by optikid123
you cant ride quads on major highways even if they are legal man this thread is retarded why dont you go buy a trailer
why buy a motorcycle and ride it across country
why not just go buy a trailer
:rolleyes:
thats what your bassicaly saying

mxquadracer
11-30-2005, 02:07 PM
I post this with all due respect here...but if you asked for a permit to ride on a highway (especially through multiple states) they would laugh at you...hysterically. The person behind with flashers, is just a rediculous thought...why would you not have that person just tow a trailer?

Originally posted by Honda TRX250ex
why buy a motorcycle and ride it across country
why not just go buy a trailer
:rolleyes:
thats what your bassicaly saying

Probably one of the worst attempted arguments I've heard from someone in a long time^. Motorcycles are made for riding on the road, and across country, atv's are not. That's like saying:

why buy a quad and ride it on a motocross track?
why not just use a crotch rocket on the moto track?

Think about it sensibly once...

But to look at the situation hypothetically, the quad would probably be able to do it (giving all + variables, I.E - Perfect maintenence, oil changed on route, great running condition, jetting changes for changes in altitude and pressure along the way, etc) I'd recommend carrying a large amount of gas and stopping after every so often to change oil as, re-gas, etc. Also, cool-down times could very likely be needed as well. Basically, though it would be interesting - it could never happen.

Another hypothetical situation - you do somehow acquire the permit, and get everything setup. You're still only 16, and would have to have your parents sign the permit to let you do this. I'm guessing very quickly that they would rent a trailer, before they'd have you drive across country on an ATV.

Anyways, I'm done ranting. I can see where you are coming from I suppose, but no...it will never be possible in the states

Honda TRX250ex
11-30-2005, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by mxquadracer
I post this with all due respect here...but if you asked for a permit to ride on a highway (especially through multiple states) they would laugh at you...hysterically. The person behind with flashers, is just a rediculous thought...why would you not have that person just tow a trailer?

Probably one of the worst attempted arguments I've heard from someone in a long time^. Motorcycles are made for riding on the road, and across country, atv's are not. That's like saying:

But to look at the situation hypothetically, the quad would probably be able to do it (giving all + variables, I.E - Perfect maintenence, oil changed on route, great running condition, jetting changes for changes in altitude and pressure along the way, etc) I'd recommend carrying a large amount of gas and stopping after every so often to change oil as, re-gas, etc. Also, cool-down times could very likely be needed as well. Basically, though it would be interesting - it could never happen.

Another hypothetical situation - you do somehow acquire the permit, and get everything setup. You're still only 16, and would have to have your parents sign the permit to let you do this. I'm guessing very quickly that they would rent a trailer, before they'd have you drive across country on an ATV.

Anyways, I'm done ranting. I can see where you are coming from I suppose, but no...it will never be possible in the states
because he wanted to drive quad
i would do it if someone paid for everything i think it would be a great experince to do that.
besides why ride in the states where theere is speed limits why not buy a GAS GAS in germey and ride on the autobond:devil:
anyway im gonna let this die
im not trying to get anyone pissed at me or anything

lvlenace
11-30-2005, 07:42 PM
You guys didnt hear about the kid who drove his LAWNMOWER down the highway to the Washington DC's Capitol Building from a few states away and was having a fund raiser for cancer? He got all the permits and all expenses paid for by sponsors. and someone was DRIVING BEHIND HIM DOWN THE HIGHWAY WITH THEIR FLASHERS ON DOING 15MPH all the way to the capitol. This is what sparked my idea, but it was just an idea.

Stock 400 rider
12-11-2005, 07:06 AM
I'm just curious f the motor could resist the 1000 miles doing 60 mph all the time?

Honda TRX250ex
12-11-2005, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Stock 400 rider
I'm just curious f the motor could resist the 1000 miles doing 60 mph all the time?
a ATV motor stock, i highy dout it it would over heat. But if you mod it the right way maybe.

Stock 400 rider
12-11-2005, 09:08 AM
a ATV motor stock, i highy dout it it would over heat. But if you mod it the right way maybe.

What should I do to it?

Honda TRX250ex
12-11-2005, 09:39 AM
lol your really want to do this dont ya?
first of all id get a liquid cooled enigne like a 450r get a bigger radiator cut all fenders get road tires extended axel and a arms a good pair of rims lights and stop like every 2 hours to check the quad and change the fluids and chit

Stock 400 rider
12-11-2005, 03:27 PM
No way, I'm just curious.:D

Honda TRX250ex
12-11-2005, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Stock 400 rider
No way, I'm just curious.:D
i want to try it! :devil:

Stock 400 rider
12-12-2005, 05:04 PM
Hehehe
Go for it and tell us what hapened.
Later.

trx400exxracer
12-20-2005, 11:02 PM
you ever hear of street leagal quads!?!?!
maybe not:rolleyes:

I thought quads were only legal in certain states and quads would get run over on a major highway and if you tryed to turn on pavement at around 45-50 mph or more the road then takes over

If you plan on riding your quad on the road for even 50 miles you are crazy (no offense):eek2: :eek2:

trx400exxracer
12-20-2005, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by mxquadracer

don't bother with him his post were worthless on this thread, he was probably trying to get to the top 10 posters on this website by making worthless post

sorry I couldn't resist to tell the truth

that is all I have to say:chinese:

ak_stick
12-25-2005, 04:03 PM
Well, depending on where you live, you can ride quads on the road.... I know many a person who used to ride quads to school.

I think a stock motor could do it, you'd have to stop and change oil on the road, gas it up ect. Overheating on an air cooled quad would prolly be a non issue since your gonna be sucking in some massive air. Though if its hot out, you migh have problems.

Youd need a set of TT/FT tires. Knobbys would be toast, plus they're rather hard to control at 40-50 mph on cement.