PDA

View Full Version : Starter/electrical Problem

440ex#28
11-25-2005, 02:17 PM
Im haveing problems with the starter and electrical system... I just replaced the battery... but the starter i just killing the battery like it is it's job. its was fine before but when it got cold it started to drain the battery bad. I have a 12.5:1 compression piston in there, do you think the high comp. wore out the starter to the point where its no good and it just draining the battery? All my connections are good( im pritty sure) i just need some help.

yamablaster24
11-25-2005, 02:35 PM
what year is the motor adam?

While the starter was not engineered for the higher compression i doubt that is the case. Try warming the battery up with a hair dryer and seeing if this does anything. The molcules in the battery are not moving around as much and sometimes this does the trick. But if its killing it like you say i would guess it is the starter. Mike boone should have some.

try ebay to

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-TRX-400EX-STOCK-STARTER-AND-WIRE-400-EX_W0QQitemZ4592285332QQcategoryZ43976QQssPageName ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Pappy
11-25-2005, 02:36 PM
why do you think the starter is draining the battery?

does the quad fire and run only to have the battery fail after turning off the qengine?

or is it slow cranking?

what brand battery did you buy and is it for the 400ex? YTX9BS

colder weather and incorrect jetting can cause all sorts of starting issues. whats your set up?

440ex#28
11-26-2005, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
why do you think the starter is draining the battery?

does the quad fire and run only to have the battery fail after turning off the qengine?

or is it slow cranking?

what brand battery did you buy and is it for the 400ex? YTX9BS

colder weather and incorrect jetting can cause all sorts of starting issues. whats your set up?

No starting is easy if you pull start it, but even with a fully charged brand new battery the starter seemed to have trouble cranking the motor over, but last night i took the starter off and cleaned everything like the brushes and what not and that seemed to do the trick. it works great now, thanks guys