PDA

View Full Version : hard starting crf

QuadRacer041
11-25-2005, 11:23 AM
now that the weather here in new jersey is getting colder i am having a hard time starting my crf. i got the bike back in january of this year and i had the same problem. i just figured it was me not starting it right coming off a 2 stroke. as the weather got warmer it was fine. now that its getting colder again ive noticed it happening again. ill kick it and after 2-3 kicks it will start then stall right away. ill kick again again again, ive noticed if i use the hot start and hold the throttle open slightly it will start. it will run for maybe 20-30 seconds then the idle will drop down and it will stall. ill get it to start but i have to hold the idle up for a minute or 2 even with the choke on until it warms up a little. then after that its fine all day.
what could it be? im thinking either fuel screw or pilot jet. all the lotor has done to it is a pipe. i have a quick adjust fuel screw and it has been set at 2 1/2 turns out since the middle of the summer when i installed it. would it need more fuel or less fuel? i know when it gets colder your supposed to richen it up but the fuel screw too?
let me know what i should do.

Honda TRX250ex
11-25-2005, 02:48 PM
all four strokes do that my 250x is a sob to start when its cold because i dont have a choke
just start it up and keep the gas about 1/4 throttle on it till it idles
plus if you turn your idling screw up a lil bit it will make it easyer to start

BlasterEaten250
11-25-2005, 03:04 PM
You can put hand warmers on the block.:p

panteramatt
11-25-2005, 05:57 PM
Have you rejetted it for the cold weather. IF not, try going up on the pilot a few sizes, should help out.

deathman53
11-25-2005, 06:47 PM
I had a hard time starting my crf450r quad today also, it started right up after I tilted the quad on its side and it drained the gas out of the carb, first kick. Its the first start that is the problem, after its warm there is no problems starting it. I can't explain why when I tilt the bike on its side it start in 1-2 kicks, but it works. Your problem sounds like a jetting problem, I think mine is abit rich for summer ridng, so I do't think winter is a problem.

QuadRacer041
11-26-2005, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
I had a hard time starting my crf450r quad today also, it started right up after I tilted the quad on its side and it drained the gas out of the carb, first kick. Its the first start that is the problem, after its warm there is no problems starting it. I can't explain why when I tilt the bike on its side it start in 1-2 kicks, but it works. Your problem sounds like a jetting problem, I think mine is abit rich for summer ridng, so I do't think winter is a problem.

yea same here. only the first start is the problem.
ill go grab a 45 pilot from my honda dealship and see if thast works better.
i had the same prolem last winter but i thought it was be not knowing how to start a 4 stroke but, ive been researching this a little and it seems its typical for the crf.

deathman53
11-26-2005, 03:37 PM
same thing today, kicked it about 10 times, no start, learned it on its side and drained the gas, second kick, it started. I am using a 182 and stock pilot I believe(I didn't jet the bike, but I changed the main to a 182 after I used a freier flowing airbox than the one that was on there(cut-up 85 atc250r airbox and used the atc250r air tube).

2muchquad
11-26-2005, 05:30 PM
in cooler weather you'll have to go up on the pilot jet,sometimes the fuel screw helps as well.my yz mx bike is like that too.when your valves are out of adjustment it'll be hard to start as well,not a matter of IF but when.all the new 4 strokes require routine checks.:(

R3Concepts
11-27-2005, 01:34 PM
Check the intakes lash....We have a LSR CRF and we are having to reshim intakes damn near every time we ride it..They are notorious for tightening up so much that it wont start.

Chicksdigme423
11-27-2005, 02:13 PM
welcome to the world of 4 stokes