PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a 01 440EX

foxr
11-25-2005, 10:56 AM
well i just bought a 01 440EX, i get it in like a week or so, it has a small oil leak that the dealer is going to fix before i get it. paid $3200 canadian like 2,200-2,500USD.

the mods it has on it that i know of are
-IMS 440 Big bore kit
-rethanal handlebars
-hand guards
-rear razor tires
-white brothers muffler

dearler just did the rear bearings, brake hoses and pads, and riveted the muffler part on or backtogther or somthing

i know it needs a bit of work but what do you guys think about it? what should i do when i get it home? i plan on doing all the work myself except possably the engine valve setting and such but i might be able to as i have done a few Small block chevy engines myself

foxr
11-25-2005, 10:57 AM
pic 2

foxr
11-25-2005, 10:58 AM
pic 3

foxr
11-25-2005, 10:59 AM
last pic 4

Syrus
11-25-2005, 11:06 AM
Sweet stuff bro. Remove the g@y bush guards, get some decals for the plastics... something sweet. And start pimpin it out. Maybe k&n filter next ? pipe ? im guessing its rejetted. Shave fenders ? Suspension, front tires, port polish ? Anything will help that beast out, but it looks pretty nice.

400exrules
11-25-2005, 11:25 AM
wow you got a deal! nice work!!

foxr
11-25-2005, 11:38 AM
Thanks, I CANNOT WAIT TO GET IT HOME!!! i will be sitting on it all the time:D i might pull it out of town and take it for a run on a gravel road or ditch or somthing and basicly park it for the winter and do some work to it to get it ready for trail riding in the spring:D

foxr
11-25-2005, 11:45 AM
Also is it neccisary to wear MX boots for trail riding? i remeber it was with dirtbiking with all the rocks and stuff you come across. but a quad looks like you got much more protection from the bike itself.

and i just bought a 4x8 flat bed trailer to pull this thing around on and just wondering if i need some wheel stops for the front or will it be fine just to strap it like 2 front and 2 rear?

Thanks

WOracing
11-25-2005, 12:22 PM
should be fine with just straps. thats all i use and nothing has ever happened. for mods id start off on some front razrs.

400exrules
11-25-2005, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by foxr
Also is it neccisary to wear MX boots for trail riding? i remeber it was with dirtbiking with all the rocks and stuff you come across. but a quad looks like you got much more protection from the bike itself.

and i just bought a 4x8 flat bed trailer to pull this thing around on and just wondering if i need some wheel stops for the front or will it be fine just to strap it like 2 front and 2 rear?

Thanks

just get 4 nice ratchet straps, and ratchet it down real tight.

But you dont NEED the mx boots, but most will recommend it. If you know you pretty much just want to trail ride then i would getsome skid plates, ims kickup heelguards, ims pegs, and some ac nerfs. The IMS pegs with kickup will help protect your feet from sliding off, when you get muddy or goin around a turn. Thats what i have.

here's a pic i found, to show u what the ims kickup pegs look like

theTman
11-25-2005, 01:25 PM
looks like your stem is bent

foxr
11-25-2005, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by theTman
looks like your stem is bent

the handle bars have a bend in them i know, is that what you see or you still think the stem is bent too?

foxr
11-25-2005, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
just get 4 nice ratchet straps, and ratchet it down real tight.

But you dont NEED the mx boots, but most will recommend it. If you know you pretty much just want to trail ride then i would getsome skid plates, ims kickup heelguards, ims pegs, and some ac nerfs. The IMS pegs with kickup will help protect your feet from sliding off, when you get muddy or goin around a turn. Thats what i have.

here's a pic i found, to show u what the ims kickup pegs look like

Thanks, i will look into those pegs for sure.

What is a good website for ATV parts?

400exrules
11-25-2005, 06:37 PM
www.rockymountainatv.com is one of the best

foxr
12-05-2005, 08:13 PM
just got it home a couple days ago and its awesome. i found it has a K&N filter already installed. Does anyone know if the header pipe is stock or aftermartket? it has no sheild on it so i kinda think it is aftermarket but i dont know.

heres a pic of it on my trailer

trx400exxracer
12-05-2005, 08:20 PM
it looks like stock header look for a place on the pipe to put bolts on there if it doesn't have any I guess it is aftermarket next thin I would look is ac racing pro peg nerf bars and shocks if you are on a budget get works shocks or cheap used elka's

PunkA$$
12-05-2005, 08:20 PM
Nice quad, I'd say you got a pretty good deal on it.

I just wear work boots for trail riding and they work jus fine. Make one of your first purchases for it a clymer manual and you'll find setting the valves very easy. Or just check this out for now. http://www.atvriders.com/articles/valveadjustment400ex.html

Also, where in Canada are you?

foxr
12-05-2005, 08:22 PM
Calgary alberta

12-05-2005, 08:24 PM
if there are two holes for bolts in the header for a heat sheild, its stock. If there are no holes, its aftermarket.

Quad18star
12-05-2005, 08:30 PM
Good Deal ... hope you enjoy it .

If I were you , I'd wear MX boots .... they might save your leg/foot some day . :ermm:

12-05-2005, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star

If I were you , I'd wear MX boots .... they might save your leg/foot some day . :ermm:

foxr
12-05-2005, 08:40 PM
i just checked and there are no holes or anything on the header pipe. does anyone know what the O/D size of the stock pipe is?

why i wonder is i heard the 440 big bore pretty much requires a larger aftermarket pipe to let it breath and if it aint got one i should get one. is there any way of telling if the motor has had some upgraded studs in the head and gasket without pulling it apart? last thing i would want is to blow a head gasket out on a trail 20-30km from my car

12-05-2005, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by foxr
i just checked and there are no holes or anything on the header pipe. does anyone know what the O/D size of the stock pipe is?

why i wonder is i heard the 440 big bore pretty much requires a larger aftermarket pipe to let it breath and if it aint got one i should get one. is there any way of telling if the motor has had some upgraded studs in the head and gasket without pulling it apart? last thing i would want is to blow a head gasket out on a trail 20-30km from my car You have an aftermarket header, I can see from the one angle now.

QuadJunkies
12-06-2005, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star

And also.. Congrats on your new quad!! I love my 440! :)