PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid questions

rollie
11-25-2005, 10:46 AM
my buddy has a 250R roller than im thinking about buying and throwing a YZF engine in it or maybe a KTM450SXF if it will fit...

How hard is this to do? i know someone that can weld everything i need for it for thats not really a problem i know it costs alot but how much am i looking at?

any other advice would be awsome, im not 100% about this yet...just thinking of my options,

thanks

TheFontMaster
11-25-2005, 10:55 AM
Is the frame with the roller a stock frame, or aftermarket? You want an aftermarket frame for a project like this. A stock 250r frame won't hold up to the abuse of a 4 stroke engine. Find an aftermarket frame that is designed to go with a certain motor. Thats just my oppinion. good luck with your project if you do it.

rollie
11-25-2005, 11:07 AM
Its stock but its guesseted and i would guesset it anywhere that it needed to be.....but if its not going to hold up i dont want to do it..any other opinions?

theTman
11-25-2005, 11:08 AM
:devil: do itttttt

450robot
11-25-2005, 01:18 PM
besides welding skills, you will need to have some metal bending and fabrication skills as well, because you will need to cut and bend new motor mounts to adapt the new motor in

you might also have to cut and raise the frame rails for the ktm motor, i heard that they were a pretty tall motor

good luck, have fun with it, and keep it safe, make sure everything you do is double checked and ensure everything is stronger than it needs to be

redrider311
11-25-2005, 02:53 PM
a hybrid is alot of work but nothing you cant handle.. i completed mine within a couple weeks after i had all of the parts i need.. a well gussested 250R frame will do you just fine.. my YZ426 is in a 400ex frame but i would prefer a 250R frame because of the fct that there is already room and mounts for a radiator... i dont know enouh about the KTM except that ive seen a couple pictures of it.. but there are memebers on the site that can make you kits for the YZ transformation and that will sav you alot of metal working etc... any more questions just post em up.. it is a tedious and expesive build but by no means is it to hard...

hope this helps..

trict_out
11-25-2005, 03:18 PM
go with the yz426 engine, it will have more than enough power to keep up with the new 450's and it will be a lot easier to find info since it is a more frequent build then usin ktm engine. Just my .02 cents. But like they said double check everything, and be careful.

rollie
11-25-2005, 03:56 PM
Who makes the kits for the YZ426F engines? im interested in that, the person i can get to weld everything fabracates cares fror a living so thats not a proplem...i think im going to go with the yamaha engine because the KTM engines are $$$$ and im not sure if it will fit or not

rollie
11-25-2005, 07:55 PM
bump