PDA

View Full Version : Cuttin' out in low rev/take off

hardtime
06-24-2002, 01:36 PM
My 400ex has developed a rather unpleasant habit of cutting out when I take off in a start or in a high gear at low rpms, ya no where some power is needed. But all is fine at higher rpms. New plug (a couple) installed and no other probs that I've noticed. Do I need to adjust something or what?

Any help IS greatly appreciated.

nakomis0
06-24-2002, 03:22 PM
Sounds like a pilot jet, or possibly needle. I can't recall if that means its running rich or lean..... if I was to guess I would say lean. Maybe try a bigger pilot jet, or raise the needle 1 notch.

I'm sure someone knows better than me. Good luck.

hardtime
06-24-2002, 03:55 PM
Upon sounding like a retard...

Whats "raise the needle 1 notch" and hows that accomplished?

Sorry... and thanks.

nakomis0
06-24-2002, 05:33 PM
You have to remove the top of the carb. In there you will see an arm, that leads to 2 philips head screws.

You have to loosen them 2 screws, and then pull the needle out. I think there is a little spacer in there so make note of how that was positioned.

You will see a little clip on the needle. You lower that clip (raise the needle) to richen up the bike, in the low and mid.

Then just put it back together.

I few notes....

Use a VERY good philips head screw driver, because the screws are real soft and strip easily.

To get to the carb, don't remove the front plastic, just the rear plastic, side panels and gas tank.

Nexttime you might wanna post in the Powertrain forum. You will probably get faster and more informed responses. Maybe a mod will move it for ya.

You know where the pilot jet is?

hardtime
06-24-2002, 05:38 PM
Not exactly. Sorta a novice when it comes to these things but willin to learn.