PDA

View Full Version : The BLUE HOLE in the Pine Barrens.

WhiteYFZ
11-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Hi,
I read a couple articles of this myth,called the Blue Hole. They say it is haunted.They also think a metorite hit,and thats why the water is christial BLUE. I found this verry interesting. They said Scientists went there with 1000's of feet of rope, and a weight on the end,and the put it in the water, and they said it is ENDLESS. . Also, a guy dove in, and broke his neck.there is more info on this if you search "Blue Hole in jew jersey" on google. I was wondering if any1 had gone there.or had info on it .. i find this verry cool..thanks alot..

yamablaster24
11-24-2005, 09:24 PM
my mom went and saw it when she was a kid...

If it was that deep it would be really warm though. and heated by the earth

WhiteYFZ
11-24-2005, 09:25 PM
thats cool.!!... does she remember it?

K_Fulk
11-24-2005, 09:35 PM
Is that where the Nj devil lives.

WhiteYFZ
11-24-2005, 09:36 PM
i suppose so. :(... im scared..seriously

yamablaster24
11-24-2005, 09:38 PM
search google and youll find that one guy who went theres dad's friend jumped in and broke his neck and another jumped in and was so cold he got righout in June or July. The story about the Rope is that because it is supposevely a spring

WhiteYFZ
11-25-2005, 12:39 AM
i read that already

JR3
11-25-2005, 05:14 AM
The New Jersey Devil doesnt live there he just roams the pine barrens and i believe he is real. I have seen the blue hole its pretty cool i wouldnt swim in it thoe after everything i heard.

theTman
11-25-2005, 05:18 AM
:eek2: thats crazy
http://www.weirdnj.com/_images_stories/unexplained4-1.jpg

LEGENDS OF THE BLUE HOLE
The Blue Hole is a mysterious body of water in the middle of the woods in Winslow Township, South Jersey. Legends say that water is as clear as glass and as cold as a tomb, even in the summer. It is rumored to be bottomless and the home of the Jersey Devil. Other legends say that there are mysterious whirlpool currents that trap swimmers and drag them under, never to be found. I vowed to go see the Blue Hole for myself.

I mentioned it to my dad, who has lived in South Jersey all his life. Much to my surprise, he knew exactly what I was talking about. When he was a kid, growing up in Blue Anchor (part of Winslow), he and his friends would go swimming in the creek about a hundred feet from the Blue Hole. My dad was told never to go swimming in the Blue Hole because it was bottomless and freezing cold. Of course, my dad and his friends immediately had to try it. One jumped in, then climbed right out. The water was indeed freezing in the middle of summer. Another one of my father’s friends did not escape as easily. He dove into the hole head first and broke his neck.

My dad (Master of Directions) knew exactly how to get there and save me ten minutes on the trip. I knew I needed a boat. Inskip Creek is about 100 before the hole. The cedar water is murky, swift and full of branches, so be careful if you're wading through it during the summer. I borrowed a boat from my friend Jim, who built it from plans he got out of a 1963 issue of Popular Mechanics. I called another friend, Russ, and convinced him to go. Taking my dad's pick up, we drove into the woods off Piney Hollow Road.

For those of you unfamiliar with the Pine Barrens, it's sandy and it’s easy to get stuck. The road was well-packed most of the way, but there are two trouble spots that fill with water. You had to stop some distance away from the creek, as the sand becomes deep and soft the closer you get to the bank. Russ and I noticed three things immediately:

1) There were signs posted everywhere not to swim, hunt or light fires here.
2) There was evidence of campfires and parties everywhere.
3) There was the constant sound of gunfire in the distance.

Undeterred, we got Jim's boat into the water and crossed the creek where there were the remains of an old bridge. After getting to the other side and pulling up the boat, we walked about 100 feet, and on the left was the Blue Hole. The hole looked to be about 70 feet across and roughly circular. The edges appeared to be raised, which was consistent with one of the rumors I had read: that the Blue Hole was actually a bottomless crater left by an ancient meteor’s impact. The bottom, at least on the edge, was only about a foot. The water had a strange, blue tinge. I took a sample of the water in an empty Frappucino bottle. I stuck my hand in. It was freezing. However, this was November and that was to be expected.

the blue hole 2 What wasn't expected was that the camera suddenly broke. Had we angered some invisible god by disturbing the peace of the tranquil lake? (Well, tranquil except for the continuing gunfire). We didn't know, but I was getting increasingly uneasy. It was time to leave. We'd have to return later and get the pictures for Weird NJ.

On the way out, I saw what looked like a large dog. When I was growing up and visiting my relatives in Winslow, they always told me to beware of the wild dogs in the area. That roving packs of wild dogs were known to attack unwary travelers and drag them into the woods to be devoured. I panicked, and nearly backed the truck into a tree trying to turn around.

I don't know how to explain the Blue Hole. Is it the hiding place of the Jersey Devil, or the bottomless impact crater of some prehistoric meteorite? How many lives has it claimed so far, and how many may still be lost in its icy depths? Why are its waters so clear and strangely blue, while a mere 100 feet away, the creek is as murky and dark as mud? All I know is, I still have the Frappucino bottle and weeks later, it is still algae free and still perfectly clear, unlike the mystery of the Blue Hole.

Killa250ex
11-25-2005, 08:13 AM
Thats pretty cool, is there any fish or anything in it?

YamaWarr0121
11-25-2005, 08:28 AM
i can grab some pics of the place if you guys really want. I'v egone there multiple times riding my bicycle and ****.. its a lot of fun. The water, no matter where you go, has a current towards you. The one blue hole in the picture i sthere as well, but is not nearly as scary as the true "blue hole"

The true blue hole is a lake that has the current coming at you every direction no matter where you stand. A man, Mr. Rotellini, died a few years back swimming across it. The man was a professional fisher and swam a lot in his life, but coudln't make it the mere 200 yards. why you ask? what is in there? who knows.

I have a friend that deccided to walk in there, so we tied a rope around his waist for good measure and let him walk about 15 feet. YOu walk in 4 feet, it drops down 5. Walk another few feet, and the water drops down another 5 feet or so. Just sudden levels..

It's quite scary, but i've always found it to be a really pretty place in many lights. The water is crystal clear like the carribean, quite nice if you ask me!!

The lake is in the town of Folsom, NJ. It is located directly behind the Pine Barrens Golf Course.

JDiablo
11-25-2005, 08:34 AM
One of the reasons i like Nj

www.weirdnj.com

YamaWarr0121
11-25-2005, 08:36 AM
check this out..

the big blue lake is the one i am talking about.

the "real" blue hole smaller lake can't be seen on the maps

http://maps.google.com/

Search for Folsom, NJ Piney Hollow Road. Zoom into it quite a bit and you'll see for yourself!!

MR.BIG
11-25-2005, 09:21 AM
That's really cool I have always wanted to go riding down in the pines barrens but still haven't had a chance.

yellow400ex05
11-25-2005, 09:28 AM
heres a site I"ve gone to a few times to learn some cool stuff about New Jersey.www.wierdnj.com (http://www.weirdnj.com)

its got the blue hole on the site and the jersey devil and a whole bunch of amazing things!

WhiteYFZ
11-25-2005, 09:57 AM
my friend is going there in the spring and is going to tri o swim in it,, with a rope on his waste.. i told him not to, but hees like iff anything happes you can have all of my dirtbikes.. hees crazy.. i would never go in that thing

Mxjunkie
11-25-2005, 10:18 AM
this is the belize blue hole, kinda weird too lol

http://ambergriscaye.com/wallpaper/art/blueholeaerial.jpg

culookn
11-25-2005, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by YamaWarr0121
check this out..

the big blue lake is the one i am talking about.

the "real" blue hole smaller lake can't be seen on the maps

http://maps.google.com/

Search for Folsom, NJ Piney Hollow Road. Zoom into it quite a bit and you'll see for yourself!!

leric when i start riding again in the spring, take me and my cous john there. looks cool. someone was telling me today that when they were out there one time, they seem something that stood like a man but had hair or fur all over it. but who knows how true that is. :eek:

Jersey450R
11-29-2005, 07:03 AM
I grew up riding back there every weekend when i was little. I can get there from my house in about 20 minutes on my quad. the trail to it from 14th. street is soooo long and sooooo whooped out its crazy. blue hole was one an awesome riding area about 8-10 years ago. When i got my 450, i went back there and it was FLAT! i couldnt beleive it. the trails are still pretty cool. There are some areas where you can go for about 5 minutes and double them thats how big they are.

the blue hole is really nothing spectacular. it looks like a small lake with very clear blue water. we used to go riding in the summers and swim every weekend there. i cant guarantee that theres no bottom, but i do know after about 5 feet, all you see is blackness. i remember goin in with goggles and just seeing NOTHING. just some trash and tires and such around the banks but thats about it. last time i was out there a little over a year ago, there were some people riding a flat oval track, lol. it was a shame and a huge disappointment to see what was once one of the best areas to ride at not there anymore. oh well, this is jersey right?!