PDA

View Full Version : Painting my rims myself

300exr
11-24-2005, 11:45 AM
Hey how hard is it and what paint should i use to paint my rims black. I dont have the money to get them powder coated, so can someone let me know what paint/ primer or w/e i should do. I want to do the stock front rims i have laying around and some old douglas red labels. Thanks

Mxjunkie
11-24-2005, 01:11 PM
400 grit sand paper or scotch brite, scuff them, clean them, prime in light coats let dry, then paint in light coats, dont just glob the paint on in one try it will turn out horrible because of un even surfaces and build up.

Wandell
11-24-2005, 06:37 PM
If you are gonna use spray paint, I hear the hi-temp paints (engine and header paint) are more durable. It would be best to prep them yourself and then have a body shop spray them with automotive paint.

TheFontMaster
11-24-2005, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Wandell
It would be best to prep them yourself and then have a body shop spray them with automotive paint.

That would cost about as much as getting them powdercoated. Automotive paint is expensive, and the going labor rate in auto body shops is around 43 dollars an hour. Do like Josh said, sand the rims with 400 grit sand paper, or a scuffy pad. Then just get a good rattle can primer, and top coat(rustoleum, or kryon).

2002-440ex
12-11-2005, 05:33 PM
I heard that it aint the best idea cuz the paint wont stay

400ex28
12-11-2005, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69
400 grit sand paper or scotch brite, scuff them, clean them, prime in light coats let dry, then paint in light coats, dont just glob the paint on in one try it will turn out horrible because of un even surfaces and build up.