PDA

View Full Version : pipe for christmas

wanta450
11-24-2005, 10:20 AM
i am looking at getting a big gun slip on pipe for christmas and i was wanting to know if i could still run my stock filter with that or if i had to get and aftermarket one thanks

wanta450
11-24-2005, 01:09 PM
ttt

450r51
11-24-2005, 01:16 PM
u dont need one but it would help it.to compliment ur pipe better, take ur airbox lid off, jet it, and get a bigger FOAM filter, the k&ns let in too much dust.

313racing
11-24-2005, 03:59 PM
depends i run my pipe with my 118 jet and a stock filter
when i was dialing in my jetting the bike needed more air or gas and figureing i just put a bigger jet in i needed more air so i took off my air box lid and it ran fine i still think its a little bit 2 rich now
honda's air filters are pretty close to a uni filter or atleast on my 250ex the filter is pretty close to a uni filter

i don't know if any of this jibberish helped

o and one tip if u didn't know this don't buy the jet that is suggested buy that jet and a couple around it so u can dial in correctly

hoped this helped somehow

coryatver
11-24-2005, 09:27 PM
You can still use your stock filter. You may have to put a bigger main jet in your carb though.

400exrider707
11-24-2005, 10:54 PM
Anytime you let more air in or out you will have to rejet. Changing just the main is not going to do it. You will more than likely need to change at least the main, the pilot and play with the needle clip. These all depend on climate, elevation and then just fine tuning your engine, because no two engines are the same.

wanta450
11-29-2005, 03:11 PM
what are you guys opinion on jet kits say like dynojet:confused:

USAF Dirtboy
11-29-2005, 03:17 PM
I am running a full Alba pipe With a K&N, and w/o the lid and i run a 190 jet compared to the small 118...by the way If you have outerwear on the K&N it wont let $h!T in.

Pepto_Bismol
11-29-2005, 03:28 PM
I run the Big Gun full exhaust, and I love it. But of course I did have to rejet and get a new filter.

I have no qualms about running the K&N air filter, however, I do use an outwears prefilter to keep the fine dust out. I have never had a problem, and I ride in the dustiest place of all, Desert.

As far as dynojet is concerned, I used to use a dynojet kit on my 400EX, and had NO problems.

So I ordered a new dynojet kit for my 450R, and I just couldn't get it to work like I thought it should.

Example, I had trouble with their recommended settings of 175 main, and had to go all the way down to a 165 main, which I thought was unusual, since my friend, who owns the exact same setup as I do, including pipe, ran great with a 175 main. Even worse, my 400 ex ran with a 165 main when I had it, and the actual part number series for the main jets (DJxxx) for the 450 and the 400 are the same.

Long story short, I ordered just the HRC Kit needle, and a couple of Kehien jets, removed all the dynojet stuff, and ended up with a 180 Main. It runs SO great now (and yes, I know there is a difference in jet sizing between dynojet and keihn, it's not about that!)

I am not sure what when wrong with the dynojet kit, but I wish I would have just ordered the Honda HRC parts first, and saved $50 bucks.

But for your case, if your running just a slip on (no air box or filter mods), you would want to go up mildly in jet size, but if you follow some of the instructions here on how to open your R up on a budget, you can probably get away without a new air filer (But they arn't too exspensive anyway), but definately will need to up the jet size to about 175 to 180.

http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=1672

Even with a slip on, I recommend a new air filter and rejetting. It's worth the extra zing!

Good Luck.

Pepto:cool:

wanta450
11-29-2005, 05:29 PM
the oe thing i dont want to do though is cut the airbox lid or put any holes in it because where i ride it is either very dusty or wet and muddy so that should take my jet size down a good bit