PDA

View Full Version : Rekluse or Hinson? For the Woods!

Honda
11-23-2005, 09:41 PM
Which is better and why?

Any problems or issues with the Rekluse?

11-23-2005, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Honda
Which is better and why?

Any problems or issues with the Rekluse?

id have to say Hinson, the reason is because ive heard bad things about the Rekluse when lots of stress is put on it, also it needs to be maintained all the time

reasons y i like the hinson is that it is heavy duty, lasts for long time, has a good feel, lets a lot of oil get in for less wear and heat, and...when has hinson ever let you down...for me...never :macho

jlm996s
11-24-2005, 08:27 AM
Get both. I've got the Rekluse with the stock basket and after a trip to the dunes, several races, and lots of hours just riding....it looks the same as the day I put it in. I do have a Hinson basket on order for next season. As far as it having to be maintained all the time....I don't really agree with that. I just check mine when I change the oil to make sure it's still in spec.....only takes a few extra minutes. Those extra minutes make up for themselves when you can make some passes in a race when others are stalling.:D

TM426
11-24-2005, 09:41 AM
Get a recluse. I like mine and as far as maintnence goes. If you can open your clutch cover and stick a feeler guage in your plates and maybe remove a friction plate and put a new one in you can handle it. The gap checking is few and far between and swaping plate wont have to be done every time. The recluse works good in woods and is easy to install/adjust.

KRMit
11-24-2005, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by TM426
The recluse works good in woods and is easy to install/adjust.
But it wears the plates out a lot faster right?

TM426
11-24-2005, 10:45 AM
No, I havent had mine very long but I havent had much wear. If your not racing it should last quite a long time. I would just check it every oil change which takes 5 minutes. If you have to remove and add a plate its 15 minutes ( I havent even had to do this yet). I use the 13T sprocket for less wear also.

WhiteZee
11-24-2005, 02:38 PM
its been atleast 3 months since iv even checked my gap, and its still working flawlessly. as far as wear, it doesnt wear any faster then stock as far as i can tell.

now if you are riding in the mud, and you are using a higher gear to get traction, your clutch wont fully engage and you will burn your clutch up a lot faster.

i raced the ironman morning race this year and my clutch didnt fade or wear any at all. as long as you know how to ride in the mud your fine.

300racer
11-24-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by WhiteZee
its been atleast 3 months since iv even checked my gap, and its still working flawlessly. as far as wear, it doesnt wear any faster then stock as far as i can tell.

now if you are riding in the mud, and you are using a higher gear to get traction, your clutch wont fully engage and you will burn your clutch up a lot faster.

i raced the ironman morning race this year and my clutch didnt fade or wear any at all. as long as you know how to ride in the mud your fine. i race in the mud and also clutch alot in the woods and when cornering does that mean it will wear quicker than a stock clutch since it doesn't fully engage? and are you able to dump the clutch or feather it?

h-bomb450R
11-24-2005, 07:18 PM
i have the hinson and i love it. I race a couple pppl with the rekluse and as far as i can tell there isnt any real advantage to it. I dont like it cuz i dont use the clutch in every corner and doesnt it feather the clutch everytime u let off of the gass? this is just what ive heard. Plus, ppl that race them alot seem to have alot of problems with them. But it just depends.

If u have a problem with stalling it or your clutch hand getting tired or something then of course..by all means get the rekluse. But i wouldnt suggest it if u are riding technical (off camber hillclimbs and stuff) or muddy areas.

I also dont like it cuz you cant jump start the bike...and if u have a kickstart..this really sucks.

just my opinion...

Austin

WhiteZee
11-24-2005, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by 300racer
i race in the mud and also clutch alot in the woods and when cornering does that mean it will wear quicker than a stock clutch since it doesn't fully engage? and are you able to dump the clutch or feather it?
like i said before, i raced the ironman this year, and it was very mudy. your clutch will not wear any more then normal, as long as you are not using to high of a gear looking for traction. cornering wont effect anything.

when i am racing, i normally never even use 1st gear unless i come to a complete stop. other then that, i would be rolling around a turn at 1mph, and ill stay in second and hammer out of the turn with no problem. it wont wear any more then normal unless you are just running it in entirely to high of a gear for the conditions your riding in.

ThumPIN_450R
11-24-2005, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Yurik Norton
id have to say Hinson, the reason is because ive heard bad things about the Rekluse when lots of stress is put on it, also it needs to be maintained all the time

reasons y i like the hinson is that it is heavy duty, lasts for long time, has a good feel, lets a lot of oil get in for less wear and heat, and...when has hinson ever let you down...for me...never :macho

Have you ever considered being a sales man? because I think you would make allot of money if you were some sort of sales man.

Honda
11-24-2005, 11:37 PM
Maybe I need to ride a bike with it installed first?

Just Sounds wierd. So can you still use the clutch like normal, or what?

I would be racing mine, and how does the holeshot thing work, do you still feather the clutch off the start or not?

Do you still use the clutch to shift?

Pappy
11-25-2005, 02:39 AM
if your replacing a clutch a season, with the rekluse you will do 1, possibly 2 clutch plate replacements in that year if you ride alot. i had one installed for almost 2 seasons and other then regular maintence it was fine. for the woods it works very well for someone who doesnt work a clutch well.

after owning one, and working on a few others, id skip the on the bar adjuster. colby at c&d racing is a whiz at these things so tech help is but a call away.

if your not real confident on hills, you will soon be rocketing up them because you never touch the clutch, merely work the gas and roll. going down hills takes a bit of getting used to, but a bump of the throttle keeps the clutch engaged for engine braking until the rpm drops below the stall speed.

if i was planning on racing more XC, i would still have it installed because i thought that highly of it. but since the 450R has estart now, i doubt i would spend the cash if that were the bike i planned to run.

Honda
11-25-2005, 08:11 PM
Thanks Pappy!

That was the info I was looking for, I think I am going to stick with the Hinsen when it becomes time to replace it.

Thanks again for the information everyone!

11-26-2005, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by ThumPIN_450R
Have you ever considered being a sales man? because I think you would make allot of money if you were some sort of sales man.

haha :macho

reign24
12-03-2005, 06:47 PM
I 've ran a rekluse all year racing xc and had to adjust it once. love it. I feel the important part is set up, gap has to be right. Hinson is the toughest chit you can buy - but you still have to pull the clutch. They advantage of stall proof is great in a woods race. I have seen problems w/ the rekluse in an 05 predator- but the design is different and the problem was with the shift shaft.
rekluse gets my vote in the woods.

Colby@C&DRacing
12-05-2005, 09:37 AM
Just to clear something Hinson doesn't make an auto clutch. So you can't compare the 2. Hinson makes a nice basket and can be used with the auto clutch.

I have used the Rekluse since 04 in my 04 450r and we also have one in the 06 450er. It does take a little more attention than a regular clutch, but the benefits out weights the maintence!! I have replaced a few fibers in the 04 but am still on the stock clutch with lots of hours.. The negative stories people here are from instillation errors and lack of maintence.

sunco
12-12-2005, 10:59 AM
How much for the rekluse ? What should it be to install it? Does East Coast ATV do it. I ask that because I'm in Jersey. Good thread.

jlm996s
12-12-2005, 11:08 AM
I'm not sure what C&D Racing sells them for, but I've seen them for around $400. I bought mine used for $275. They are not hard at all to put in yourself, but any cycle shop should be able to do it. It comes with some pretty good instructions.

Here is a link to some good info on getting one installed. Rekluse (http://www.********forums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=31144#post31144)

sunco
12-12-2005, 01:58 PM
I'll read up on it.

WhiteZee
12-12-2005, 10:21 PM
you may as well install it your self. if you cant do it, then you dont need to be getting once, since you will need to adjust it from time to time.

sunco
12-13-2005, 12:51 PM
Good point.