PDA

View Full Version : 4wd Question

AtvKid4Eva
11-23-2005, 08:20 PM
Ok i have a ford ranger and it had auto locking hubs on it when i got it but they never worked so i bought some warn manual locking hubs. And the 4wd works fine now i lock the hub the turn it on 4wd high and it works great but my question is with 4wd when u cut the wheels really shard r the front wheels suppost to kinda bind and jump??? i think they r but im just wondering and also can i leave the hubs in locked and drive it in 2wd then just flip it to 4 when i need it or do i gotta lock and unlock them every time?? any help would be appreciated thanx

cool 300ex
11-23-2005, 08:28 PM
I don't think there supose to do that.

prepracing
11-23-2005, 08:59 PM
what year is your ranger ? I use to have an 87 model with the push button 4wheel drive and I also had to put warn manual hubs on. The 35" tires kept stripping out the factory hubs. If your on dry surface and in 4wheel drive while turning a lot of older models will make the popping/binding sound your talking about. And yes u can leave your hubs locked in BUT by unlocking them your frontend will freewheel and give your truck a little more power and better gas mileage since your not having to push the frontend/gears around

AtvKid4Eva
11-23-2005, 09:11 PM
Its a 97 ranger so the binding is normal?? and it wont do any harm at all leaving the hubs locked?

Titanium
11-23-2005, 09:18 PM
i think its spose to if ur on cement but if ur on a dirt road or any loose surface it shouldnt

TM426
11-23-2005, 09:22 PM
Its all normal. With manual hubs when locked on a sharp turn they will bind up (your truck kinda hops). when unlocked it should be fine though.

AtvKid4Eva
11-23-2005, 09:26 PM
Ok thats a good thing lol now my only question is about leavin the hubs locked should i or no??? will it do any harm?

Scott-300ex
11-23-2005, 09:36 PM
Leaving your hubs locked in is completely fine.

I do it all the time, especially in the winter, first sign of snow, I lock them in untill March. Does no harm to the truck, just turns the axles, differential, and front driveshaft, and the transfer case stops the power going to it.

Only thing is, worse gas milage. But it won't hurt your truck if you they'll always locked in.

LTandRaptorider
11-23-2005, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by AtvKid4Eva
Ok thats a good thing lol now my only question is about leavin the hubs locked should i or no??? will it do any harm?

Your question was answered in a post above... which I'll copy and paste for you... ;)

And yes u can leave your hubs locked in BUT by unlocking them your frontend will freewheel and give your truck a little more power and better gas mileage since your not having to push the frontend/gears around

AtvKid4Eva
11-23-2005, 09:41 PM
ok thanks a lot guys

TM426
11-23-2005, 09:45 PM
Its probably better to lock them and drive now and then. It will keep you seals good and prevent them from leaking.

AtvKid4Eva
11-23-2005, 09:46 PM
since its ok i thing im just gonna lock them for the winter while there is snow it'll be a lot easier. thanks again.

440ex kid
12-04-2005, 03:42 PM
Its all normal. With manual hubs when locked on a sharp turn they will bind up (your truck kinda hops). when unlocked it should be fine though.

Do they actually bind up or what is happening? If they are binding that means that something is eventually going to break. My are autolocking and when I throw it in 4 wheel drive it does that when I crank the wheel. So what if I have to crank the wheel hard for a long period of time such as if I am offroad, do I have a good chance of destroying the hubs?

TCracin440ex
12-04-2005, 05:33 PM
thank god for my shift on the fly 4wd

another thing i think the binding noise you are hearing is maybe a frontend locker...i know when i got my z71 in 4wd the frontend hops, and feels like its binding up when turning...but all it is that both front wheels are pulling

TCracin440ex
12-04-2005, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by 440ex kid
Do they actually bind up or what is happening? If they are binding that means that something is eventually going to break. My are autolocking and when I throw it in 4 wheel drive it does that when I crank the wheel. So what if I have to crank the wheel hard for a long period of time such as if I am offroad, do I have a good chance of destroying the hubs?

if you are offroading and in mud....hearing/feeling binding in the frontend then you have a problem...i kno my frontend binds up when on dry surfaces...concrete,pavement, gravel, dirt.....put it in mud....it dont happen

MOFO
12-04-2005, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
thank god for my shift on the fly 4wd

another thing i think the binding noise you are hearing is maybe a frontend locker...i know when i got my z71 in 4wd the frontend hops, and feels like its binding up when turning...but all it is that both front wheels are pulling

Your truck does not have a locker in the front end.

TCracin440ex
12-04-2005, 06:37 PM
i kno my truck dont have a locker in the frontend i estabilished that long time ago....but both front wheels are pulling when its turning