PDA

View Full Version : MX wheel and tire combo

TheFontMaster
11-23-2005, 05:14 PM
I'm shooting to get a full set of OMF scaloped beadlocks, and a set of new tires front and rear for christmas/birthday. I know for the tires I'm going 20 in. fronts, and 18 in. rears. I was gonna get 10 inch 4-1 offset fronts, but for the rear, what size rim should I get, 8 or 9 inch, I don't know what the benefits of each are. And which tires are better Maxxis razr MX, or Kenda Klaw MX. I always liked Maxxis, and I am leaning toward them, and what width rears should I get? Alright, thats it for the questions.

hardkoratvmxr
11-23-2005, 05:37 PM
maxxis and they come in 10 in widths

TheFontMaster
11-23-2005, 05:45 PM
Thanks, I'm still open to discusion on the tires, what about the rear rim size?

Pappy
11-23-2005, 06:57 PM
8 inch rears with either razors or holeshots, skip the kendas

4-1 offset on extended arms

hardkoratvmxr
11-23-2005, 07:35 PM
an 8 inch rim will give you more roll than a 9 inch rim with the same tire size and width. most motocrossers run a 8 inch rear rim so they can slide the rear end around a little better due to the tire "folding" over in the corner. it also provides a little plusher ride. a nine inch rim will not want to let the tire fold over since the sidewall is much smaller when an 18 inch tires is placed on them. this means when you want to powerslide out of a corner it will want to tip over causing you to let off of the gas costing you seconds in a race. The ride is also compromised but you shouldnt base you decision on the ride unless you have back problems.:D

Pappy
11-23-2005, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by hardkoratvmxr
an 8 inch rim will give you more roll than a 9 inch rim with the same tire size and width. most motocrossers run a 8 inch rear rim so they can slide the rear end around a little better due to the tire "folding" over in the corner. it also provides a little plusher ride. a nine inch rim will not want to let the tire fold over since the sidewall is much smaller when an 18 inch tires is placed on them. this means when you want to powerslide out of a corner it will want to tip over causing you to let off of the gas costing you seconds in a race. The ride is also compromised but you shouldnt base you decision on the ride unless you have back problems.:D

actually a 9 inch rim with a 18x11x9 will slide more then an 8 inch rim with an 18 x11x8 tire. the 8 inch tire has more sidewall flex and will rollover the rim more so then the 9 ich combo.

quadracer154
11-23-2005, 08:19 PM
Go with 8 inch rims and kenda's I love mine.

hardkoratvmxr
11-24-2005, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
actually a 9 inch rim with a 18x11x9 will slide more then an 8 inch rim with an 18 x11x8 tire. the 8 inch tire has more sidewall flex and will rollover the rim more so then the 9 ich combo.

oops i guess i got it backwards