PDA

View Full Version : Anyone make ther own parts

01blaster5415
11-23-2005, 09:44 AM
i was just wondering if anyone makes there own parts im in high school and go to the votech for machinist and was wondering if there are any parts that yous make for your car, truck, or quad or anything

Mxjunkie
11-23-2005, 09:47 AM
I make my own skid plates and any other kind of body armor, I've herd of people making there own parking brake block offs and such.

Scro
11-23-2005, 09:48 AM
I have seen several people make E-block off plates. It shouldn't be that hard. The most simply parts that you could make, are parts that dont move (ex. e-blockoff, steering stem clamp, handlebar clamp). Now if you really want to get on the technical side, you can look at making a-arms and swingarms. Although they weren't too "pretty", I have seen it done...:D

trx400exxracer
11-23-2005, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69
I make my own skid plates and any other kind of body armor, I've herd of people making there own parking brake block offs and such.

my dad made a parking brake blockoff

and somebody I know makes reinforcement rings for wheels

nosliw
11-23-2005, 09:57 AM
i plan on making my own skids in the near future. a friend of mine will be making me a rear bumper cover that bolts on kind of like the PRM desert one.

BKex
11-23-2005, 10:40 AM
Ive made an parking brake block off, and a 20 fin aluminum cooler that goes in-line of the radiator just like cfm makes.....was pretty easy to make

426ex
11-23-2005, 11:04 AM
I've machined lots of stuff for cars and bikes. My most recent invention was a quick on/quick off sissy bar for my 400ex. It turned out great, and my youngest son loves it. I put it on when he rides with me to keep his but on the seat during wheelies.

01blaster5415
11-23-2005, 11:20 AM
yea im in 11 grade and its my first year and i just started using the lathe like 2 weeks ago it fun to use and im making a c clamp right now at the moment and we get to choose our own projects i was thinking of making a case saver on the mill, brake block off, or maybe a gas tank cap

TheFontMaster
11-23-2005, 11:25 AM
I made my own gussets fit my 250r. If I had some better tools, I would feel confident in making my own swingarm and a arms. I go to a votech school to, probably in the spring I'll have one of my friends in welding make me some good aluminum skid plates. I would do it myslef, but I don't have access to a TIG welder. I supose if you had a small tubing bender you could make your own handlebars.

watts16
11-23-2005, 01:53 PM
my dad and i made some nerf bars.

Rip_Tear
11-23-2005, 02:48 PM
I went to school to learn CNC and tool and die, I work at a tool and die shop right now. I made a plastic body skid plate for my 400, but I busted it already...

Planning to make:
aluminum body skid and a-arm skids
modding stock a-arms with new ball joints
possibly a bumper and a few other parts

It's just taking the time to do this stuff, I have my own lathe I just need a mill now and tig welder. I also have a sand blaster, paint gun, and general tooling. I'm looking into getting a PC gun and a few other things this winter but paying off school and truck payments etc are taking away all my fun $.