PDA

View Full Version : what do aftermarket rods do

killen them all
11-22-2005, 07:20 PM
hey im just bought a 686 big bore and since the bike is going to be apart im going to do alot to the bike and i didnt know if buying aftermarket rods would make that much better for the money i have a stage 1 came and the 686 piston and a 102 sleeve what elis should be a good motor up grade and im getting a extended swingarm i am a drag racer and hill climber so what would be a good lenth im thin a +7

MadDog56
11-22-2005, 11:19 PM
a new rod will keep your engine from grenading.

And +7 is going to rob more power than it needs to. That's a pretty mild 686 build, and I think +4 would be enough. If you truly think you want more go +6, and dont forget to revalve or replace your rear shock.

tater_kamik
11-23-2005, 10:28 AM
^^^ yup, more horsepower means more stress on the internal components, especially the rod. you really probably dont need to get an aftermarket rod, but if you want the extra peace in mind, go ahead since it cant hurt! i have a 686 ported and polished, larger calves, stage 2 cam, and a stock rod. your choice bro, though if i did go any bigger, or ran nitrous i would definately have a new rod in there

dsandraptor
11-24-2005, 01:29 AM
tater just with what u got on your bike it WILL blow. i got money on it.:)

tater_kamik
11-24-2005, 07:28 AM
nah, that motor has a few races on it already, and it is well built. it also wont have a problem staying cool since i have an larger radiator and oil tank, as well as running synthetic and engine ice. heat would be the problem i would worry about, which is why i made sure it would stay cool.