PDA

View Full Version : Steering stabilizers

wagsracing
11-22-2005, 01:46 PM
Looking to buy a stabilizer and Im currently looking at Denton and Gibson, rebuildable of course. Any recommendations or suggestions would be great!

MichiganMafia
11-22-2005, 09:28 PM
SRP metals from www.magicracing.com is the one I have, it's great.

infantry317
11-23-2005, 06:24 AM
Denton, Muscle, Gibson, SRP are all the same body and ends. Only the mounts are adapted by each company. I forgot the name of the actual stabilizer, but they're assembled in CA.

edit: Shindy is the company that makes or imports them.

Shocka400ex
11-23-2005, 08:20 AM
OK... does anyone esle feel like thier stab. shock doesn't last as long as it should? I have always ran the PEP one on my YFZ because I like the way they mount but it seems like I am constantly replacing it. It seems like it works for about 10 rides (MX only)and then it dies on me. I have never gotten one rebuilt. What exactly do they replace or do they just revalve them?? The new Precision stabilizer shock is amazing but I just can't quite push myself to spend almost $500.00 on one.
What does everyone think? Should I try a different company or is there some place that I could bypass the name brand and by one from another company for the same quality?
Any info would be great thanks.

Jersey450R
11-23-2005, 08:24 AM
i agree that the piston type of stabalizers do not last long. i have the denton rebuildable and its thrashed. i mean, it still works, but has developed play in the piston and makes an air noise when pushed back and forth. i'm saving for the GPR. my advice would be to save money, do it right the 1st time, and never worry about it again.

parkers30
11-23-2005, 08:59 AM
if you buy the rebuildable ones the rebuild kits are cheap and easy, the GPRs still need rebuilt occasionally

harescrambles
11-23-2005, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Shocka400ex
OK... does anyone esle feel like thier stab. shock doesn't last as long as it should? I have always ran the PEP one on my YFZ because I like the way they mount but it seems like I am constantly replacing it. It seems like it works for about 10 rides (MX only)and then it dies on me. I have never gotten one rebuilt. What exactly do they replace or do they just revalve them?? The new Precision stabilizer shock is amazing but I just can't quite push myself to spend almost $500.00 on one.
What does everyone think? Should I try a different company or is there some place that I could bypass the name brand and by one from another company for the same quality?
Any info would be great thanks.

You can get the PEP rebuild kit on ebay for like $25, thats were i found them

yfzrider93
11-24-2005, 09:17 AM
I am running a JH Racing stabilizer on my YFZ and it works great. It looks like basically the same thing as a Denton but it has lasted way longer than my Denton on my last YFZ did.

drgnerth
11-24-2005, 01:50 PM
are they easy to rebuild?

wagsracing
11-26-2005, 05:45 PM
where did you buy it, and how much did it cost. Thanks

11-26-2005, 07:32 PM
i have one that is exactly like the denton, but mine is not rebuildable, it has lasted me a few rides, but i am only riding trails...any way...you can get these off of ebay and are made by noss machine...it is not rebuildable...the place i bought it from "talked" me into the non rebuildable one for about 40 dollars less because the rebuild kits are about 20 and to have denton rebuild it is another 40 or so...this guy will sell me a brand new body for $40 shipped to my house..to me, that is easier than buying the rebuild kit and trying to rebuild myself or sending it to denton to rebuild it, and a lot cheaper than buying a new one everytime...

1iviper
11-27-2005, 03:17 PM
i run a wer damper and it has worked great for over a year now without any rebuild or problem(really your just changing the fluid in it for a "rebuild").still have plenty of clicks left to stiffen it up if needed.dampers are really personal pref or what your budget can afford but any damper is better than none.rotary damper's also seem to have more adjustment to them and i think you'll get more ride time in between serviceing with a rotary over a push/pull also but rotary's cost more.the wer is prob the cheapest rotary for around $300.i'd like to try one of the precision one's though.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/1iviper/wer2.jpg

genxracer
11-28-2005, 03:39 PM
here is ours, and we have yet to here a "blown out" complaint http://genxatv.com/graphics/stabilizers.jpg

yfzrider93
12-02-2005, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by wagsracing
where did you buy it, and how much did it cost. Thanks

I got it from JH Racing. Their website is www.j-hracing.com (http://www.j-hracing.com) . You can find the price on the site on the products page. I'm not sure if it's rebuildable or not, that's something you'd have to talk to JH about.

dawn
12-10-2005, 05:36 AM
I have dual Vipers on mine

JF400EX
12-10-2005, 06:50 AM
If you're cheap like me, a Denton is good. I called Denton this past spring (http://www.dentonracing.com/) and talked with them about their dampners - here is the advice they gave me: IF YOU ARE RACING THEN DON'T BUY A REBUILDABLE. The rebuildables have more play in them and and are not as precise/predictable. They rebuildables are more for general trail riding. If you wear-out a non-rebuildable you can still buy the primary cartridge for about $80 and re-use the mounts. It seems durable too - I ran 9 GNCCs and practice sessions on it and it still seems good.

If you have the money, an expensive rotary is the way to go. They are much more adjustable and have progressive-rate dampning to absord big jolts without increasing general steering stiffness.

Regardless of how much you spend - get some type of dampner on your quad. It makes it a LOT more comfortable and safe when running fast over rough terrain...

400exrider0004
12-10-2005, 11:08 AM
I just bought a rebuildable Denton last week!