PDA

View Full Version : Ice tires

wheeltrax
11-22-2005, 08:41 AM
i know this probably wont get too much responses cause most people that race ice have studded tires.. Im racing rubber class this year for ice racing and last year i used a rear zipper/front razr tire setup. I want to retain the zipper rear but i dont know if there is a better front tire setup out there to use instead. I know i could do full hoosiers, but too costly. I have tried the kenda klaw fronts and the razrs worked better.. any one have any experiences..suggestions

bwamos
11-22-2005, 11:33 AM
No clue if it would work.. but how about the front ITP Sand tires w/ the dual ridge. Run at a low pressure ~1.5 - 2 psi. I would think it would grab ok. But it would definatly have to be tested.

BLACKeR
11-22-2005, 04:36 PM
theres also a sand tire called the whip snake? i think that is smooth with a couple think "squiggles" going along it. i dont know about the affordability. bit why not get a pair of automotive snow tires? for ice traction a soft rubber and "syping" the thin lines in tread of the tires is important. all those little thin cracks grab on to bumps and defects in the ice. if you get an atv tire thy to get something similat to that, remember big chuncks of traction wont grab onto anyting. i say try the automotive stuff. you migh tbe able to find somethign used in the paper.

wheeltrax
11-22-2005, 06:11 PM
i thank you all for your time and posts.. i think i might try another set of tires i believe i have laying around and will see what i can do with them.

400exstud
11-23-2005, 07:43 PM
This is just a thought but the I-razr fronts look like a good choice because they have that spine down the center and a few knobbies scattered around.