PDA

View Full Version : Calling all wrench heads!!!!

Chino886
11-22-2005, 07:26 AM
Hey y'all, looking for some winter projects:

1. Do you think you could make a 250R radiator work on the 400EX somehow?

2. Do you think I could run twin OEM oil coolers? Will this have any negative impact? Will this affect oil pressure?

3. What is the wattage drain from a 450R fan, I was thinking of wiring one in for the twin oil coolers.

Thanks,
D

bwamos
11-22-2005, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Chino886
Hey y'all, looking for some winter projects:

1. Do you think you could make a 250R radiator work on the 400EX somehow?

2. Do you think I could run twin OEM oil coolers? Will this have any negative impact? Will this affect oil pressure?

3. What is the wattage drain from a 450R fan, I was thinking of wiring one in for the twin oil coolers.

Thanks,
D

1) It "can" be done. Hell anyhting "can" be done. But you;d have to fab the lower cases and internal gearing to add a water pump, and weld a waterjacket onto the cylinder. Not reccomended.

2) Much better option if you have a highly modified engine. You will have some pressure drop. You get a pressure drop every time the tubing changes sizes or goes around a corner. But, your loss will be very minimal. Nothing to worry about.

3) I wouldn't even worry about it. It's just going to be dead weight.. especially if you're running 2 oil coolers. The only time the fan is going to do anything is when your sitting still. When you're moving the air blowing through is faster than the fan pulls it through, so it's not doing anything. Just like an automotive radiator.

Chino886
11-22-2005, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
1) It "can" be done. Hell anyhting "can" be done. But you;d have to fab the lower cases and internal gearing to add a water pump, and weld a waterjacket onto the cylinder. Not reccomended.

2) Much better option if you have a highly modified engine. You will have some pressure drop. You get a pressure drop every time the tubing changes sizes or goes around a corner. But, your loss will be very minimal. Nothing to worry about.

3) I wouldn't even worry about it. It's just going to be dead weight.. especially if you're running 2 oil coolers. The only time the fan is going to do anything is when your sitting still. When you're moving the air blowing through is faster than the fan pulls it through, so it's not doing anything. Just like an automotive radiator.

so you think #2 is the way to go then.....

bradrenea
11-24-2005, 03:31 PM
Why not just go to the auto parts store and get a transmission cooler? You can get them in a variety of sizes, they are aluminum, and can be bought for less than $50.
As far as that goes, if you want a fan you can even buy a tranny cooler prebuilt with a custom fan and shroud already attached. They look pretty cool, the fan shrouds are aluminum.

Chino886
11-24-2005, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by bradrenea
Why not just go to the auto parts store and get a transmission cooler? You can get them in a variety of sizes, they are aluminum, and can be bought for less than $50.
As far as that goes, if you want a fan you can even buy a tranny cooler prebuilt with a custom fan and shroud already attached. They look pretty cool, the fan shrouds are aluminum.

does this have an effect on oil capacity or pressure? Have you done this, if you have, will you post some pics or instructions....

bradrenea
11-24-2005, 08:49 PM
I have not done it, but I remember seeing a post on here about it quite a while back. It would increase your oil capacity.
It might affect the oil pressure somewhat, but I don't think it would hurt anything. I guess the affect on oil pressure really depends on tube/fin size. If the tube size of the aftermarket cooler is bigger than stock it would lower oil pressure, but theoretically increase volume. If the tube size was smaller it would raise pressure, and probably decrease volume. It's all about the flow characteristics.

In the end you would have the same result as having two stock coolers with a simpler install and a cleaner look, but that's just my opinion.

Chino886
11-24-2005, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by bradrenea
I have not done it, but I remember seeing a post on here about it quite a while back. It would increase your oil capacity.
It might affect the oil pressure somewhat, but I don't think it would hurt anything. I guess the affect on oil pressure really depends on tube/fin size. If the tube size of the aftermarket cooler is bigger than stock it would lower oil pressure, but theoretically increase volume. If the tube size was smaller it would raise pressure, and probably decrease volume. It's all about the flow characteristics.

In the end you would have the same result as having two stock coolers with a simpler install and a cleaner look, but that's just my opinion.

thanks, I will check into it...