PDA

View Full Version : January Dirtwheels 450ER test WTF?

spincr4hire
11-22-2005, 05:43 AM
typical Dirtwheels :rolleyes: , they did a test on the 06 450ER, here is one of the paragraphs one of the staff douchebags wrote:

"While the improvements made to the Honda are noticeable and very needed, we think the Honda 450R is still missing something. Without a big bore sport quad in their lineup we feel they could have made the 450R more trail friendly."

WTF?:huh

Pappy
11-22-2005, 05:44 AM
did you expect anything less:p

450r51
11-22-2005, 05:56 AM
yamaha pays alot more money to dirtwheels then honda does so what do u expect!!! yammie pays ppl to write good articles about them.

CHAR250R
11-22-2005, 06:35 AM
What did they think about the power and handling? A read a couple of reviews the other day and 1 mag said it was tippy in the corners and had power up top and not much on the bottom. The other mag said almost the total opposite. I'll have to ride one and find out for myself.:rolleyes:

kbass24emtp
11-22-2005, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by spincr4hire
typical Dirtwheels :rolleyes: , they did a test on the 06 450ER, here is one of the paragraphs one of the staff douchebags wrote:

"While the improvements made to the Honda are noticeable and very needed, we think the Honda 450R is still missing something. Without a big bore sport quad in their lineup we feel they could have made the 450R more trail friendly."

But if Honda made it more trail friendly they would just complain about how it suffered on the MX track. Just watch the YFZ is king in their eyes now, but when the new quadracer comes out they will turn on it in a heart beat.

400exrider0004
11-22-2005, 10:12 AM
Yamaha pays the magazine

Honda
11-22-2005, 12:03 PM
Jesus!

Here we go again.............

Doesn't matter, who won the Baja 1000? The GNC championship? While the Yamahas were being pushed towards the checkered flag, the Honda's were taking them to the podium.

:devil:

eddings
11-22-2005, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Honda
Jesus!

Doesn't matter, who won the Baja 1000? The GNC championship? While the Yamahas were being pushed towards the checkered flag, the Honda's were taking them to the podium.

DS 650 and LTZ400. It doesn't matter which bike wins it is the rider and the support the rider gets that is more important than the bike. Look at RC he dominated on a honda and his is mopping the floor with the Suzuki. Either rider for dependability or performance or looks, but just ride and enjoy. Don't let the mags decide what you will ride.

jvd182
11-22-2005, 12:35 PM
z400 one the gnc's?? try 450r.....

Nick110
11-22-2005, 01:28 PM
:rolleyes:

im pretty sure that a honda 450r won the gnc, baja1000, greatoutdoor games, and the Matt Bartosik memorial ride. prolly others just cant think of them.

Punk'd
11-22-2005, 01:32 PM
In the mag that they did a yfz modded and 450r modded shootout (kinda old) under a pic it says "here is a typical example of the hondas light front end" and it had a pic of the 450 with the nose higher in the air. BUT if you look in some of the other parts of the mag you see yfz's doing the same thing.. This kind of stuff makes me mad, they shouldnt be able to write b/s and sell it:mad:

KRMit
11-22-2005, 01:51 PM
When I was trying to decide between the R and YFZ, I was really leaning towards the YFZ. From the factory it's a little lighter and has more suspension travel. I've heard it's less tippy as well, and up until now it's been faster than the R. All around it looks like a better MX choice. I went with the 450R because of Honda's legendary reliability and to be a little different (everyone around here has modded YFZs).

Honda has tackled the front end problem and increased the power to run with the YFZ. As for the suspension, if you're serious about MX it's all getting changed out anyway.

The only real things I saw that they didn't like was the tires and stiff suspension. Now that I'm swapping all that out, I guess I have the perfect quad. :macho

*edit* I forgot you stated this is Dirt Wheels. I was referring to the ATV Action review.

Ridin' Jesse
11-22-2005, 03:55 PM
Thats why i quit reading dirt wheels...

2006trx450r
11-22-2005, 04:16 PM
those dirt wheels guys are ****ers i'll run them over with mr ER and then we'll see and yamaha they are fast but that doesn't make up for the wrench time you have to put into them plus is word of mouth that they have left 2 screws loose somewhere in the motor on the majority of the 2006's released a guy i talked to said he has tightened them on 7 diff bikes but you would never hear about it in a yamaha(translates to small women and children in japanese) supportin magazine

ill_lil_romey
11-22-2005, 06:48 PM
Dirt wheels is a 200 page collection of junk. There articles always are biased and suck. they dont even do good evals. they only quad magazines I read are atvsport and the new Quad magazine, quad is by transworld mx and they are by far the best mag out right now.

450RGNCC
11-22-2005, 07:40 PM
I totally agree about Quad magazine, I like everything that they have in there and it is put together so well. As of next month, my Dirtwheels subscription will run out and i have no intention of renewing it.

steveatv3
11-22-2005, 08:04 PM
while were on the subject, i am in the january dirtwheeles letter section under freestylin:cool:

dober250R
11-22-2005, 09:17 PM
the only thing dirtwheels is good for is all the advertisements for finding the cheapest place possible to buy a part

troutman561
11-22-2005, 10:37 PM
yea i was reading my friends dirtwheels, all it is is a cataloge, the articles are short, and they seem to be behind... i have QUAD magazine and they had a review of the ltr450, while a months later issue of dirt wheels said on the cover they had "spy photos" of the ltr450.. i just laughed because its came out like a month after the suzuki web site had posted the pics, oh well

spincr4hire
11-23-2005, 08:39 AM
Quad magazine is great! The photo angles are awesome.

trx450Rrider
11-23-2005, 01:55 PM
i just got the new dirtwheels and what else is funny is that they said they get really tired riding it in a short time because of the power and that they dont like that. WHY THE HELL DID THEY SAY THE YFZ is better because of the hard hitting power now honda does the same and they dont like it. PFFFFFFFFT screw dirtwheels.

elchankoblanko
11-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Everybody here should boycot dirtwheels, there a bunch of old guys who like to do 2 mph down a trail and look at all the trees. Dirtwheels blows. Quad magazine all the way

thrasher_ex
11-23-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by elchankoblanko
Everybody here should boycot dirtwheels, there a bunch of old guys who like to do 2 mph down a trail and look at all the trees. Dirtwheels blows. Quad magazine all the way

quad magazine is the one that always goes to exotic places on utes for the scenery, so....ya they like lookin at trees too lol

my vote still goes to quad though

XCRACER26
12-01-2005, 08:49 PM
I have had a subscription to dirtwheels for four years and I'm tired of hearing all the crap that they have to say.They had spy photos of the 06 450R and I was all ready reading the spec and a reveiw on atv scene.:huh . atv scene said it was alot better than last years and notta word about the stiff suspension or the arm ripping power. all leads to the $$$. How much do you want to spend on reveiw. I think i could build a 250ex frame and put a 5 horse briggs in it and pay them $500,000 and all of a sudden its the greatest thing to hitt quad riding because its super easy to ride or some B/s like that

KRMit
12-01-2005, 08:54 PM
Actually I just got the January DirtWheels and it's very positive about the '06 450R. ATV Action on the other hand was fairly negative. Are ya'll sure you're not backwards?

woodsman250r
12-01-2005, 10:23 PM
Anymore Dirtwheels is garbage. All they have are stupid utility shootouts, letters from morons that want their sweet wheelie picture featured, articles about mini's and an evaluation that 90% of the time is biased, such as the new one about the 450er. Its clear they are pursueded by the all mighty dollar by making Yamaha sound like the Gods of ATV builders. I like articles about racing, and maybe helpful stuff like maintence tips and articles from engine builders and aftermarket companies. I don't care about some stupid ATV country music rodeo or going on a 9,000 mile 2 m.p.h trail ride in India. Anymore the only mags about ATV's I will read are ATV sport and ATV insider which is a great publication if you are into racing.

KOG
12-02-2005, 09:10 AM
hey i have my pic in dirtwheels j/k i think thats funny they had spy pics of the 450r when i already had it in my garrage

STR330R
12-02-2005, 11:16 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by KRMit
[B]Actually I just got the January DirtWheels and it's very positive about the '06 450R. ATV Action on the other hand was fairly negative. Are ya'll sure you're not backwards?

I will have to agree with you about atv action. They trashed on the 450 the entire article. And Dirt wheels did part of the time and i am tired of their crap to. Im done with them

raptor88
12-02-2005, 12:40 PM
well i was planning on getting a 450r:rolleyes: i dont know about now:D jk i like them

quad2xtreme
12-03-2005, 06:09 AM
I just get the mags to know what new stuff has come out, look at the pictures, and read the ads. I wish there was a magazine in the ATV industry like Computer Shopper.

Plus if you don't buy the latest quad all the time, there isn't much to read about anyhow. Car magazines are way more interesting as you get the article on how to powdercoat, how to install a sound system, how to install this engine in this car, and others. At most, the quad magazines suffer from just doing reviews of new quads or a write-up about someone's build-up. How interesting is it to read someone's signature line?

I was real impressed with the new QU4D magazine.

/Jon

reconmaster
12-03-2005, 06:29 AM
personally i think dirtwheels is a great mag but i agree they rarely give honda credit one thing i do like about quad i s the center fold girls and the amzign quality pics they plus not so thick articles that might get you lopst on certain things

Ridin' Jesse
12-03-2005, 08:49 AM
I read that in Sheetz the other night...bull**** if u ask me...i dont even bother to buy dirtwheels now..i buy QUAD magazine, or just dont read any at all.

XCRACER26
12-03-2005, 10:07 PM
Dirtwheels needs to figure out how to do race results to. At the OMA race in wisconson, it said in the results that there was a chris borich in the race??? he was also ridin a kfx400... There was not a kfx in pro class, much less chris borich ridin it. It was so messed up I could write three paragraphs about it.

All_Out_06
12-03-2005, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Honda
Jesus!

yea but whos winning on the MX tracks??? Yamaha and Suzuki..

woodsman250r
12-03-2005, 11:49 PM
Ummmm...I'm pretty sure Natalie won on the MX track....and he had a Honda.

tido450
12-04-2005, 01:00 AM
lol yah i own a yfz and i agree the only reason they blow yamaha is because of the huge two page adds in the magazine. so much for an "unbiased" opinion. and i did laugh really hard the 1st timje they tested the 450r with the nose high.. i dont think the realize that the way you leave the jump full throttle, half throttle, and body postitioning dictates that.

those jagoffs, dont worry guys im on your side

and to the person who sauid who is winning at the mx tracks......the winners of C and B classes in d5 were on hondas.. great riders win

quad2xtreme
12-04-2005, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by All_Out_06
You have to be kidding or you don't really follow racing...

Honda places more in the top 10 in every class than any other manufacturer. And Honda absolutely owns the Baja.

/Jon

Ridin' Jesse
12-04-2005, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by All_Out_06

LOL wow:rolleyes:

XCRACER26
12-04-2005, 03:25 PM
Did any of you see the yamaha advertisement in dirtwheels. It said like 6 championships need we say more.:rolleyes: most of balances win were on his ''HONDA'' 250r.

ATC350X 85
12-04-2005, 05:00 PM
It doesnt matter what anyone says or thinks about it, it matters what you think about it. I like my bike fairly stock, does everyone else, probably not, get what im saying?

Prey
12-04-2005, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by spincr4hire

i am soo disappointed in the 06 450ER, if it were me writing it, the article would have been a lot worse

quad2xtreme
12-04-2005, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Prey
i am soo disappointed in the 06 450ER, if it were me writing it, the article would have been a lot worse

Like what?

/jon

Prey
12-04-2005, 06:58 PM
1...the ER is 1/2 arse (turns over slow and stops the starter motor sometimes)

2, the suspension geometry changes they made..........make the bike ride worse.

3. the tps is idiotic and screws up the throttle body so bad, it needs an aftermarket.

4. it is actually more tippy

5. (related to #1) if you wanna change the 9V battery they have in there, its cutting and welding as the battery box is welded to the frame.

6. brakes are weak

7. idle screw position is absolutely retarded

8. oem airbox cover is a joke (not even a forced air induction???)

9. pushes in the front worse then the 04/05

and these are just some things an amateur like me would notice

i have said it many times, 'The ONLY reason i am keeping this bike is because it will be all aftermarket and it will be my gncc bike"

if i was only going to rec ride.................i would definatley buy a pred over a 450ER................ better luck to the kick start.

KRMit
12-05-2005, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Prey
1...the ER is 1/2 arse (turns over slow and stops the starter motor sometimes)

2, the suspension geometry changes they made..........make the bike ride worse.

3. the tps is idiotic and screws up the throttle body so bad, it needs an aftermarket.

4. it is actually more tippy

5. (related to #1) if you wanna change the 9V battery they have in there, its cutting and welding as the battery box is welded to the frame.

6. brakes are weak

7. idle screw position is absolutely retarded

8. oem airbox cover is a joke (not even a forced air induction???)

9. pushes in the front worse then the 04/05

and these are just some things an amateur like me would notice

i have said it many times, 'The ONLY reason i am keeping this bike is because it will be all aftermarket and it will be my gncc bike"

if i was only going to rec ride.................i would definatley buy a pred over a 450ER................ better luck to the kick start.
Just a couple arguments...
The brakes are pretty strong. This is the first quad I've had I can do a stoppie on. What's retarded about the idle screw? It's easy to get to tucked underneath the tank. What quads have forced air induction?

john.E.business
12-05-2005, 11:26 AM
That dirtwheels article was ridiculous those guys just pump yamaha's tires cause they have 6 pages of advertisements.... even the article on the warrior was outrageous saying that for 200$ less it is a deal compared to a scrambler??? the scrambler would rip that thing a new *** but thats just my thoughts im not buying dirtwheels anymore there only good articles are on raptors and yfz's neither of which i care to read....

2006trx450r
12-05-2005, 11:44 AM
All_Out_06 GET THE **** OUTTA OUR HONDA FORUM WITH YOUR YAMADICK STATEMENTS AND TRY CHECKIN STATS BEFORE RUNNING YOUR "YAMAHA IS THE BEST DIRTWHEELS SAYS SO" MOUTH K THANX AND HAVE A NICE DAY

TRX450R1
12-05-2005, 02:48 PM
All we can say is that we wouldn't waste our hard earned money on a Yamaha MX machine, I do have a Kodiak though (o:

Prey
12-06-2005, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by KRMit
Just a couple arguments...
The brakes are pretty strong. This is the first quad I've had I can do a stoppie on. What's retarded about the idle screw? It's easy to get to tucked underneath the tank. What quads have forced air induction?

many bikes will do a stoppy including the pred and z400 stock, and the front brakes are ok (not super by any means, they lack feel and are too easy to lock up)........... i was making reference to the rears as those are the ones i use the most, and they still suck, they are either on skidding, or totaly off.

the idle screw, if you follow honda instruction for idle adjustment, the location right above the header will ensure you are missing any hair off the top of your hand and part of your forearm

the 06 450R is the is the 1st bike i have ever seen with a snorkle from the rear of the box that does not point forward. no matter what speed you ride, venturi (sp) effect is the only thing bringing air into the box unlike snorkles that point towards the front of the bike forcing air into the box (i meant those words individually, not as a system)

those are my assessment from riding racing atc/v's since 82. i bought this bike with the sole intention of XC racing. I AM dissappointed in the bike but it does have good points like, the power is smooth, the changes in gearing are great, ergonomics are awsome (peg/lever location is a little cramped for me, but i am 6'4" and i am sure it fits most very well)

i have ordered laeger arms, axis shocks, +2" houser stem/anti vibe (think i will run a set of flex bars with it, galfer lines, pro aluminum fat pegs,

in addition, either this week or next it goes to dirt first, i have done some takling with andy lagzdins, i am not exactly sure what will be done to it (i just know not a hrc kit) and also i am getting shamrocks and razrII front and probably hc rears.

i am supposed to work with harlen to do some write ups about install and assessment of the mods, in addition i will be doing write ups for bypassing the tps, getting another 700RPMs out of it for free and i am going to hack the battery box to accept a predator style battery.

KRMit
12-06-2005, 08:01 AM
Bypassing the TPS so you can crank it while giving throttle? I'm very interested in that as well.

Prey
12-06-2005, 08:20 AM
i am in sand diego on travel and get back the end of the week, i will try to have it to harlen by the end of the weekend

quad2xtreme
12-06-2005, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by KRMit
Bypassing the TPS so you can crank it while giving throttle? I'm very interested in that as well.

I've read about this mod either on this forum, ATV Connection, or ATVRiders.

/jon

ckasper18
12-06-2005, 11:45 AM
I work in a dealership and sell products all day long the thing i dislike the most about dirt wheels is out of 260 pages 220 are full page adds 20 are half page adds the rest are articles .If the mag company can only fill 20 pages with tests and info to me they have no clue about testing bikes and writing articles.I no longer buy Dirtwheels there is no good information except adds ......................Chris