PDA

View Full Version : 06 450er bog

snono
11-21-2005, 07:18 PM
I bought a 06 450er and it has the bog or hesitation when you nail the gas at any throttle position. It can happen in any gear. You nail the throttle and you get a hesitation and then it takes off like it should. I have seen posts with suggestions from richer pilot to this boyesen quick shot deal. Just have not seen anybody post their results. This is a totally stock 06 and I want it to stay that way. I have an old 250r if I want to tinker and I am about done with tinkering- I want to ride, that's why I got the 450- to ride and not have to fiddle with it to make it run. If I bought a new car and gave it some throttle and it hesitated before taking off I would imagine most people would be upset and I believe this should hold true to these machines. Just seems strange honda would have a machine exhibit these characteristics. Any suggestions are appreciated. I guess if someone told me if I put the hrc kit on and it would take care of the problem that may work but just seems ridiculous to have to do this to a stock quad to make it run normal.

eagertorace
11-21-2005, 07:44 PM
I'm in the same boat you're in. It's a bunch of BULLSH*T!!!!!!!!!
Hopefully I'll know something this week on mine.

eagertorace
11-21-2005, 07:46 PM
This machine is a BEAST and blame the EPA for these problems.

Dave400ex
11-21-2005, 07:50 PM
This is weird to me. Some say theirs run perfect and others are having problems. It does seem they tend to run better when they get opened up...

eagertorace
11-21-2005, 07:54 PM
I believe it's all in the carb. tinker with the pilot and leak jets and pump adjustments.

RedRacer44
11-22-2005, 01:09 AM
Thats just how the FCR carb is, especially on a stock '06 450ER just so it would pass EPA specs. Mine was like that....but after throwing on exhaust, cam, jetting, and chunking the lid.......its WAY better. For starters, just chunk the airbox lid and pull the baffle. Jet up to 155-165 main or so....it should be a lot better then. Also play with your pilot and needle a lil' bit....

If ya just want to ride...might as well ride fast too! Throw on a full exhaust w/ proper jetting or get the HRC kit. I love my '06, this motor rips compared to the '04.

11-22-2005, 04:35 AM
ive never had a problem with mine.. only stalls if it isnt warmed up enough

I just started the 3rd tank of gas (even though ive had it almost 2 months) n it runs like a champ

KRMit
11-22-2005, 07:20 AM
If I stab the throttle before it's completely warmed up mine will die. Once it's fully warmed up it will hesitate before reving. A friend of mine with a YFZ has the same problem except his dies even when warmed up. He installed the Quickshot last night and is going to try it today. Another friend of mine bought an '06 450R and his doesn't hesitate nearly as bad, but he's running AV gas. I think I'm going to get the Quickshot and run a 50/50 mix of AV gas.

ESR250R
11-22-2005, 10:22 AM
it almost sounds to me like honda put together a motor that is capable of putting out alot of hp with minimal mods. but choked it up alot to keep it safe for all the people that dont need alot of power. they must have choked it up so much, that it runs like crap in stock form. which is a great thing for anyone that races but a bad thing for anyone that leaves there quad stock.

New450r
11-22-2005, 10:37 PM
I have an 05 and I noticed the same thing and when I rejeted it was totaly different I also removed the lid I am waiting on a lid from EHS.

Quad_Runner
11-23-2005, 05:32 AM
All manufacturers trying to get things passed thru the emissions regulations for the green stickers have leaned their entire FLEETS to meet a corporate level of "greenness". The manufacturer must meet a certain average level for all their vehicles, inclusive.

So, some vehicles get it worse than others. The fuel injected vehicles are easy to clean up, not so for the carbureted versions. This is some of what I have been saying about the hard starting. The small amount of fuel in the float bowl of the Keihens along with the leaness that is required for passing emissions testing causes some pretty funky problems to crop up. Most are drivability complaints and hard starting issues.

The Factories KNOW what makes their vehicles run best (99% of the time, in unrestricted stock form) and when they give a statement like "turn the fuel screw in", they're serious because they know what is going on. The HRC kit changes quite a few operations on the '06 and it's vital the directions are followed for a good baseline.

Each and every machine is different and should be treated as such. Some will be set different than others because of this. Try not to assume that what someone else has done is the ticket for your machine. I see this time and time again. "What is your jetting?" is a common question. It may make a good baseline but may not be what your machine likes. When I'm working with jetting on an engine, I jet for the main first and go until it loses power then start working my way backwards thru the carb to get what I want. I don't care what jet goes in as long as the A/Fr is where I want it.

The prime example I can think of is 2 recent builds I finished on the same day and put on the dyno. One required the Q needle, the other liked the stocker, one took a 168 mj, the other a 162 mj, one needed the 48 pj, the other a 45 pj. They used the same components otherwise, PC, HC, ESR, 14:1 HH, and VP C14. And they had the same power nearly to the "T".

You just can't assume anything about these machines. They're all individuals but, the manufacturers KNOW what a good baseline is, and following their lead is a really good idea, to get things started anyway.

This was posted by Ticeman on the org

eagertorace
11-23-2005, 09:38 PM
I picked mine up today after the hrc install (mine had that terrible bog at all throttle postions). I think the hrc needle, leak jet and pump adjustments made the bog go away. That header is huge and the sound is awesome, not to loud or not to quiet. I had a change to ride it before I loaded it up at the dealership and HOLY SHAT!!!!!!!!!! The whole kit compliments every single piece of the kit. I need to get me an Uni filter with Outerwear though because you have to run without the kit, unless I can find me 05 hrc lid.

Overall I'm satisfied with the install but I went thru a bunch of shat to get it.

For the ones that want to leave them stock but have these issues, just get the hrc needle kit, adjust the pump and install the quickshot cover and you'll be set.

I've never rode a 50 horsepower quad before and love to see what mine does on the dyno, bet it's real close. Hopefully to have some more ride time this weekend.

11-23-2005, 09:56 PM
the problem is accell pump, call up C&D and order a boysen quickshot for the FCR carb, then problem is solved

eagertorace
11-23-2005, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Yurik Norton
the problem is accell pump, call up C&D and order a boysen quickshot for the FCR carb, then problem is solved

tried that before the hrc kit, didn't help it one bit.
It does improve the throttle response real well though
so I left it on there.

Again, THE BEAST IS UNLEASHED!!!!!!!!!

chad cavagnaro
11-24-2005, 11:17 AM
can someone find a picture of the keihen carb that indicates wich is the pilot jet or the leak jet from the front of the carb. i'm trying to rejet today and dont know wich one is the pilot?
thanks.:confused:

eagertorace
11-24-2005, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by chad cavagnaro
can someone find a picture of the keihen carb that indicates wich is the pilot jet or the leak jet from the front of the carb. i'm trying to rejet today and dont know wich one is the pilot?
thanks.:confused:

take the bowl off, the pilot is the one closest to the cylinder and leak jet is found in the bottom of the bowl.
When you take the bowl off the jets will be in this order,
pilot, main then choke jet, you won't have to mess with the choke jet.

Dave400ex
11-24-2005, 02:34 PM
Well I'm glad to hear that the problems were fixed by the HRC kit. I guess it just needs opened up and rejetted to run to its full potential.

goldrims04
11-25-2005, 10:15 PM
hey i have a 04 and i had a simular problem if i store my quad w/ less then 1/2 tank for couple days u get condesation if store in a unheated area but it only last a couple min. but u can also try a sprockit change on my 04 r i ran 13/39ratio it sweet if i helped u cool but still good info...

quadracer12
11-26-2005, 01:43 PM
im running the hrc kit with a 50 pilot. hits hard off low end. no bog what so ever.

E.POWERSPORTS
11-26-2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by eagertorace

For the ones that want to leave them stock but have these issues, just get the hrc needle kit, adjust the pump and install the quickshot cover and you'll be set.

You can't get the HRC needle separately from a dealer. Unless you find someone that doesn't want theirs from the kit.

E.POWERSPORTS
11-26-2005, 02:42 PM
I have a question for you boggers. Is this an issue when riding it like you naturally would or are you just wanting to stab the gas and are not able to?

eagertorace
11-26-2005, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by E.POWERSPORTS
I have a question for you boggers. Is this an issue when riding it like you naturally would or are you just wanting to stab the gas and are not able to?

The fcr carb will hesitate at idle if you stab the throttle but just pass idle or once your moving it stops. Mine done it all the time before the hrc kit. Runs like a raped ape now, can't wait to put a full exhaust on it. The hrc header works well but I think the aftermarket systems will produce more power. Heah, with that hrc diffuser in the silencer, it sounds like it's got a turbo on it.
Also went riding today and rode it pretty hard and never did get into the rev limiter, this setup is pretty awesome.

TRX450R2
11-26-2005, 11:39 PM
Thanks guys, my 06 450 just arrived so I now have a fair idea of what to do! I want to keep the pipe as low noise as possible so will just rejet and open airbox lid and just remove the restrictive baffle? Cheers, Jeff

snono
11-27-2005, 09:04 AM
The hesitation happens all the time when you nail the gas. Every quad I have ever owned if you nail the gas it would take it without hesitation. Like I said before it does not matter what gear or throttle position it will hesitate when you nail the gas or nail it and only apply half throttle. There is just a hesitation off idle. I think we all realize what the problem is but I refuse to tinker with it. If I want to tinker I would have bought a beat up piece of crap. A new stock quad should run right period. Then as a added bonus i went to try to start it yesterday and after about a minute of cranking it finally started. Dealer is working on it so I will see what happens.

quadracer12
11-27-2005, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by snono
The hesitation happens all the time when you nail the gas. Every quad I have ever owned if you nail the gas it would take it without hesitation. Like I said before it does not matter what gear or throttle position it will hesitate when you nail the gas or nail it and only apply half throttle. There is just a hesitation off idle. I think we all realize what the problem is but I refuse to tinker with it. If I want to tinker I would have bought a beat up piece of crap. A new stock quad should run right period. Then as a added bonus i went to try to start it yesterday and after about a minute of cranking it finally started. Dealer is working on it so I will see what happens.

you do relize that you cant' touch the throttle when starting it don't ya. it has a throttle position sensor that will keep it from statring. all the 06's ive seen you just pull the choke and hit the buttom and it fires up. ive heard that the sensor retards the timing. has anyone messed with theirs?

XCRACER26
11-27-2005, 10:49 AM
Is it worth geting a 06, because i'm going to get a new bike. I was planning on just geting a new 05 agin and modifying it. is it worth the xtra $2000

snono
11-27-2005, 01:18 PM
Did not give any throttle while starting. It had previously started well but extremely cold natured until fully warm and then it was touchy about dying after being fully warmed.

Jonas
11-27-2005, 04:30 PM

I'm not sure how to ask this question and get the answer I'm looking for, but when your riding, is it necessary to "stab" the throttle or are you rotating the throttle at a speed that is necessary for the quad to accelerate. I'm just trying to figure out if what you are experiencing is worse than other new 450's or is consistant with them.

Also, have you ever ridden a crf450r dirt bike or owned a quad with a fcr carb on it?

Jonas
11-27-2005, 04:31 PM
Did not give any throttle while starting. It had previously started well but extremely cold natured until fully warm and then it was touchy about dying after being fully warmed.

Just curious about what elevation you live at?

eagertorace
11-27-2005, 04:47 PM

They probably won't get it fixed unless they install the hrc kit, sorry to give you bad news. If you get the kit installed, your worries and troubles will be gone and that beast is unleashed.

eagertorace
11-27-2005, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by XCRACER26
Is it worth geting a 06, because i'm going to get a new bike. I was planning on just geting a new 05 agin and modifying it. is it worth the xtra $2000

with all the changes including the e-start, I'd say yes.

snono
11-27-2005, 06:51 PM
I live at sea level-illinois. Never rode a dirt bike period or anything with fcr. Test rode a different 06 and it was the same way if not worse. Dealer has worked on other bad ones also.

Dave400ex
11-27-2005, 07:34 PM
I say just have the HRC kit installed and be done with it...

snono
11-28-2005, 04:26 PM
How many hours should it take the dealer to put a hrc kit on an 06? Thanks.

quadracer12
11-28-2005, 04:29 PM
i done mine i two hours and that was with driving to the honda shop to get new shimms.