PDA

View Full Version : WB Power-Up kit?? (and blown head gasket)

GPracer2500
11-21-2005, 07:00 PM
I have a 1999 400ex. It has a White Brothers Power-Up kit that was installed for the previous owner. It's the most mild WB kit (stage 1?). I'm having trouble finding much info on this kit. I'm almost certain it included a stock sized piston (compression unknown but I think about 10.5:1), a CDI box, and a cam.

It has proven to be a stong and reliable engine since I've owned it--until recently. I've owned it several years and it gets its neck wrung pretty hard snaking through the dunes and dragging up the hills.

In the dunes last weekend I started getting a lot of (what I thought was) valve ticking. The power seemed off a little as well. We checked the valve clearences but we only had a .005 feeler guage with us. All four valves were looser than .005 (engine was warm). We set all four valves at .005 since that was about all we could do.

Valve ticking seemed to improve somewhat but was still present. However, within 30 more minutes of riding the head gasket blew out.

So now I'm trying to plan a rebuild. I've already done some research and am learning about the stud issues/head gasket issues and the fixes/build-settups that address those problem areas.

I want to know about the cam. Where can I get a spec card for it? I guess I should simply contact WB? I want to know if that cam will work well with a 440 piston/sleeve.

Also, does excessive valve noise often materialize just before a head gasket lets go? Or, could I have been hearing a gasket leak and thought it was the valves ticking? It sure sounded like valves, not escaping air.

thanks!

ETA: OK, I found some info. The piston used in my engine is a JE +1mm (406cc) at 10.6:1 and the part number for the complete WB kit is 09-053. The cam used in that kit is the WB1498 "Track" cam.

Anyone have any experience with that cam? Will it work well with a 426 or 440 kit?