PDA

View Full Version : Are there any Sand Dunes in AZ?

04TRX400EX
11-21-2005, 04:47 PM
I've heard that there are apparently some sand dunes around the Phoenix area, obviously not real huge or talked about though. Does anyone know where the nearest dunes are to Phoenix? I want to go but don't want to drive to Glamis, plus it's always so busy with a bunch of yah-hoos doing stupid crap. I know there is a small dune on highway 85 or something like that- it's off of the 10 going from AZ to San Diego. Any suggestions or fun places anyone has found?

BTW, I understand that the topic is a bit funny considering that Arizona is a freakin' desert.

250r4life
11-21-2005, 07:27 PM
there are some dunes over by safford, although i have never been there. supposedly there are supposed to be a bunch of hot springs, so you can get off your bike and go chill in the jacuzzi.. the only dunes i know between phoenix and san diego are glamis, gordons well, and buttercup

04TRX400EX
11-21-2005, 10:36 PM
Where is Gordon's Well exactly? I've heard people talk about it.

bandicot
11-22-2005, 12:12 AM
The dunes he mentioned are all part of Imperial Sand Dunes. The one near Safford are Hot Wells Dunes form what Ive seen on other web sites it has only one hill and its pretty small otherwise its pretty much trail riding. You can see pics at dunereview.com and you can check out duneguide.com Both are pretty good sites but AZ doesnt have much of a selection.

GPracer2500
11-22-2005, 12:49 AM
Dude, the Imperial Sand Dunes are quad heaven! Forget about the "dunes" in Safford!!

Find some people that go regularly (to the Imperial Dunes) or have been before and get some tips about taking a weekend trip. It will be the best thing you and your quad ever did. Glamis, Gordens Well, and Buttercup are all good (but each offers something slightly different from the other). They are only 4 hours from Phoenix.

Also, if possible go with someone who has ridden there before. Dune riding can be a little intimidating for some in the beginning. It helps to be able to follow someone through the dunes that knows what they're doing first.

Seriously, there is no substitute for Glamis (et al). Coral Pink up in Utah, for example, is a fun trip too; but it is not really the same thing as the Imperial Sand Dunes.

my $0.02

mikez91169
11-22-2005, 01:34 PM
If you haven't been to Glamis, you need to go. There is nothing else like it. One trip and you will be hooked.