PDA

View Full Version : complete aftermarket r

MX wannabe
11-21-2005, 08:59 AM
i was wondering instead of buying a second hand r if i could just build one completely from aftermarket parts and if it would work well... that way i could spend a lil bit of money at a time instead of all of it in one shot... but i need to know the complete list of parts to get that would match well together... thanks

rockman
11-21-2005, 12:01 PM
without a base quad it would cost more money than you want to spend. My suggestion would be find a decent one then build up from there. it would be a whole lot easier and CHEAPER. thats just my 2 cents, its your money do what you want

wilkin250r
11-21-2005, 12:12 PM
Build one from completely aftermarket parts? You could get the major items, sure, like swingarm, steering stem, A-arms, ect.

But where are you going to get all the little parts? Brake calipers, thumb throttle, front brake perch, engine mount, seat latch, ect ect.

To put together a complete, brand-new 250r one piece at a time, you're looking at $20,000. Even a few hundred bucks at a time, this is a lot of money.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather pay $6000, even if I DID have to come up with it all in one lump sum.

fugitivracing65
11-21-2005, 12:52 PM
It is doable to build a quad from completely new parts however there will be a huge amount of expense. In my own opinion unless you are planning on racing it professionally in the desert or gran prix races, i believe all the other forms of racing the money is in the production classes, the cost of building such a quad would not be worth the expense. however if that is what you decide to do let me know i have some ideas about parts you could use. such as for the clutch perch and lever from a 98 Cr 250 it is a bit smaller and easier to pull.

brokenbones
11-21-2005, 03:44 PM
you can build one complete except for brakes ,engine cases,seat and other small stuff i built a long travel and started with just a frame but i took a long time to gather up all the parts that i bought used and i still spent over 10 k at least thats were i quit keeping track

the quad is very much at home on the track and mostly out in front of those 4 strokes

i did say mostly not allways

my 2 cents

deathman53
11-21-2005, 03:49 PM
I'd buy a used aftermarket frame 250r, cost way less and be almost as good for 1/4 the cost.

stever250r
11-21-2005, 06:21 PM
I am in the process of doing the same thing. Completely aftermarket with the exception of some of the smaller parts. I think the only stock parts I have right now are the brake calipers, gas tank, and radiator. I

I am 7 months into the build and have been spending an average of 600-700 month and I still lack the suspension from having a completed rolling chassis. Some of that money has been spent on engine parts.. new cases, clutches, etc. etc.

Like broken bones said.. with what I have left to purchase I will also have somewhere around 10k in the finished product.

But it will practically be a new bike,, 95% aftermarket parts... that I own without having paid a dime of interest on.

Thats what I tell my wife too :)