PDA

View Full Version : k&n or uni?

emaxxjeremy
11-21-2005, 03:33 AM
i have always run k&n filters, but i see many people running the uni. what makes everyone go with the uni over the k&n? price?
i run an open airbox, so the k&n would have outerwears, does the uni have any outer protection?

Jersey450R
11-21-2005, 03:49 AM
The uni is a dual stage filter. It has stock like foam in the inside and a more coarse outer layer. i run an open box and my filter has been covered in mud by the end of the day, but nothing inside the boot, or the inside of the filter. Thie thing with the k&n, you need to run the outter wear and it tends to let too much dust in. ith the uni, its a wet filter type so the dust harldy enters the motor. Just keep that sob clean, i clean mine after almost every ride. Its cheap insurance.

duncan440ex
11-21-2005, 04:34 AM
i have 4 uni and change between moto's, k+n lets way more dust in than the uni even with the outerwear.

11-21-2005, 09:03 AM
k&n flows more air than uni but k&n filters suck more dust and rilly get cloged fast in clay dust. my k&n filter dosent get dust in the tube though and i have the whole air box off. are raptor has a uni and it dont let dust in eather.

speedfreaksguy
11-21-2005, 09:32 AM
You can buy 2 Uni's for the same price as a K&N. I think the Uni is easier to clean too.

hondarider2006
11-21-2005, 12:00 PM
I used to run a K&N with the outerwear...and it was fine except it got tore up pretty fast from the stock box(400ex) So I decided to try out the Uni. Now people say that they "always see dirt in their airboot with their K&N" which I think is a load of ****. I have never saw dirt in my airboot with my K&N....yet I always seem to have some in there with my Uni. Is there something I am doing wrong, or somthing I should do to help prevent this??

JOEX
11-21-2005, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by hondarider2006
I used to run a K&N with the outerwear...and it was fine except it got tore up pretty fast from the stock box(400ex) So I decided to try out the Uni. Now people say that they "always see dirt in their airboot with their K&N" which I think is a load of ****. I have never saw dirt in my airboot with my K&N....yet I always seem to have some in there with my Uni. Is there something I am doing wrong, or somthing I should do to help prevent this??
You are oiling it aren't you? With oil designed for foam filters.

hondarider2006
11-21-2005, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
You are oiling it aren't you? With oil designed for foam filters.

lol yes Joe, I am oiling it. I have read that people put grease on the inside of the boot where the filter goes into to make it more of a seal. But doesn't grease eat away at rubber over a period of time??

Sjorge450R
11-21-2005, 12:24 PM
If I were to run no air box I would go with UNI. If you are going to use an air box go with the K&N.

stc416rider
11-21-2005, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by speedfreaksguy
You can buy 2 Uni's for the same price as a K&N. I think the Uni is easier to clean too.

thats y i use it

NacsMXer
11-21-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by hondarider2006
lol yes Joe, I am oiling it. I have read that people put grease on the inside of the boot where the filter goes into to make it more of a seal. But doesn't grease eat away at rubber over a period of time??

I don't see how it is possible for grease to eat rubber, but it is good practice to grease the intake boot for a better seal like you said. I used to use K&N's with a prefilter on the filter as well as the airbox. No matter what I did it would always pass fine dirt on the dusty MX track :ermm: I don't feel like tearing up my fresh new motor so I switched to UNI with not a trace of dirt in the boot.

You can't tell if your K&N is passing fine dirt just by looking at the boot. Take a clean paper towel and spray a bunch of WD-40 all over it and then wipe down the inside of that intake boot as far as you can get your hand in there. You will immediately know just how well that filter is working. I had crap all over the paper towel that amazed me everytime. So far the UNI has passed that test everytime :o :) . Don't know how much dust you encounter up there in AK, but this is a good test to see how well a filter works or how well you are keeping it oiled ;)

ZeroLogic
11-21-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
I don't see how it is possible for grease to eat rubber, but it is good practice to grease the intake boot for a better seal like you said. I used to use K&N's with a prefilter on the filter as well as the airbox. No matter what I did it would always pass fine dirt on the dusty MX track :ermm: I don't feel like tearing up my fresh new motor so I switched to UNI with not a trace of dirt in the boot.

You can't tell if your K&N is passing fine dirt just by looking at the boot. Take a clean paper towel and spray a bunch of WD-40 all over it and then wipe down the inside of that intake boot as far as you can get your hand in there. You will immediately know just how well that filter is working. I had crap all over the paper towel that amazed me everytime. So far the UNI has passed that test everytime :o :) . Don't know how much dust you encounter up there in AK, but this is a good test to see how well a filter works or how well you are keeping it oiled ;)

i had the same problem with my k and n air filter i took it out and put a UNI filter in now i have not even the littlest traces of dirt in my air boot

emaxxjeremy
11-21-2005, 01:55 PM
by the sounds of it i will be trying a uni
thanks for the opinions

Sjorge450R
11-21-2005, 02:42 PM
I have a K&N with stock air box and lid on and two races ago we had a really dusty race. Went home and before I even pressure washed the quad, i checked out the air box. The box had dust in it and then i removed the filter and did what the other guy said. I took a paper towel with WD-40 and wiped all the way to the caburator pulled it out and there wasnt anything in there. Just to let you know, i dont even run a pre filter.

emaxxjeremy
11-21-2005, 03:06 PM
but thats with the lid on. that makes a huge difference

NacsMXer
11-21-2005, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by emaxxjeremy
but thats with the lid on. that makes a huge difference

That's exactly what I was going to say.

11-21-2005, 07:07 PM
i run a k&n filter no air box lid or the box eather and i never get any dirt in the boot an i go in rilly dusty farm fields and my track

PunkA$$
11-21-2005, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer

You can't tell if your K&N is passing fine dirt just by looking at the boot. Take a clean paper towel and spray a bunch of WD-40 all over it and then wipe down the inside of that intake boot as far as you can get your hand in there. You will immediately know just how well that filter is working. I had crap all over the paper towel that amazed me everytime. So far the UNI has passed that test everytime.

That's exactly why I switched to UNI!

I think a lot of times people that say K&N doesn't pass dust aren't really checking closely enough.

I haven't seen a trace of black yet with my UNI! :macho:

Honda
11-21-2005, 08:20 PM
Does the UNI still use the Spark Arrestor Piece that slides into the factory air filter?

Or can you get rid that part?

NacsMXer
11-21-2005, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Honda
Does the UNI still use the Spark Arrestor Piece that slides into the factory air filter?

Or can you get rid that part?

It has a metal cage on the inside of it to provide a sort of frame for the filter to keep it from collapsing under the vacuum created when you hit the gas. The stock cage will not fit a UNI, it comes with its own.

I would not remove it since it allows the outer rubber flange of the intake boot to be positively clamped to a plastic ring on the end of the cage.

Honda
11-21-2005, 09:16 PM
So how would a UNI compare to like a Sparks or Pro-Design, with the billet adapter?

Maybe someone could post a pic of the UNI, with its support Cage?

In the market for a filter, but not sure which to get.

sik440
11-22-2005, 08:27 PM
k n filters are the best hands down

SidewaysSam
11-23-2005, 12:14 AM
I notice a difference in the performance of my machine between the K&N and Uni. The K&N gives me noticeable more power, so I use it for races only. When practicing or trail riding, then i swith back to the Uni. It is more restrictive, but it will clean the air better.

400exrider26
11-23-2005, 04:04 AM
"Maybe someone could post a pic of the UNI, with its support Cage?"

yeah, i would also like to see a pic... and when u clean it do u clean it like the stock filter (one pice of foam) or do u have to take apart the dual layers of the filter and clean them individully?

bwamos
11-23-2005, 08:23 AM
Well, I'll just say I've been running K&N filters w/ prefilter on my ex for 7 years. I have had no problem with excessive dust passing through, nor does my oil get dirty any faster than any other quad with a uni filter.

Any dust that does pass through is so minute that it makes no difference. I would wager that the fuel has more impurities in it than the filter is passing through.

And yes, I have always ran the quad w/o an airbox lid. I also ride in Missouri. There's plenty of dust here, lol. Infact I usually have a dirt mustache when riding in hot weather.

On the quesiton of grease eating rubber:
Yes grease and oil can eat certian types of rubber. However every piece of rubber on an ATV is petroleum resistant. I personally dont grease the collar, I jsut keep my filter collar clean and tighten it properly. Infact I clean both with rubbing alcohol before I install it. Grease (a lubricant) makes it easier for the filter to fall off in rough terrain.

PunkA$$
11-23-2005, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider26
"Maybe someone could post a pic of the UNI, with its support Cage?"

yeah, i would also like to see a pic... and when u clean it do u clean it like the stock filter (one pice of foam) or do u have to take apart the dual layers of the filter and clean them individully?

The cage is similar to the stock one except the rear is open where the stock one is solid. It also doesn't have the fine screen in it.

And yes, you clean it like the stock filter.